Re: [hr100] lottery!!!

  • Michael Bur
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
      --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner <jvarner1313@...> wrote:

      > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...

      Epic? Actually, there is one already:

      http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv

      Or, if you want something a little easier:

      http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
      (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)

      Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and seeing everyone again this summer.

      Best,
      Michael Bur
      Kensington, MD
    • David Goldberg
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
        Understand your pain James--one finish plus handies and several no picks = on the wait list (1 for 6 now)

        if you are interested in a tough race you are sure to get in I am riding the Colorado trail race (mountain bike) starting 8/2 in Denver--it is free, no limit and you just show up to ride 530 miles unassisted (no lottery, t shirt, aid station etc, either). If not see you at the Handies work day.

        david #56 goldberg

        To: hr100@yahoogroups.comFrom: jvarner1313@...: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:36:44 -0800Subject: [hr100] lottery!!!

        congrats to everyone who got in! i however seem to have the worst hardrock lottery luck ever! 0 for 5. this year i'm lower on the waitlist than the last two years! i'm tempted to pull my out name right now...james #40 varnerRainshadow Runningwww.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

      • james varner
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
          hi mike

          i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics! and maybe one day i'll put in for those too.

          i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which encirles silverton, average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has 14,400ft of gain and the course record is 8:56 by kyle and erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners 12-16hrs. the 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300 and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and 1/3 of the course is off trail/off road--following elk trails, old mining trails and scree fields.

          sounds great huh?!?
          james

          Rainshadow Running
          www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

          > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
          >

          > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
          >
          > Or, if you want something a little easier:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
          > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
          >
          > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and
          > seeing everyone again this summer.
          >
          > Best,
          > Michael Bur
          > Kensington, MD
        • james varner
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
            thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! i'll try to stop being a sore waitlister. i wsh there was a way we could all run the race and still keep it a great little run. there is no other race i'd rather run and i wouldn't want that to change.

            thanks everyone!
            james

            Rainshadow Running
            www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

            > i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics!
            > and maybe one day i'll put in for those too.
            >
            > i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which
            > encirles silverton, average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has
            > 14,400ft of gain and the course record is 8:56 by kyle and
            > erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners 12-16hrs. the
            > 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300
            > and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and
            > 1/3 of the course is off trail/off road--following elk
            > trails, old mining trails and scree fields.
            >
            > sounds great huh?!?
            > james
            >
            > Rainshadow Running
            > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com
            >

            > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > From: Michael Bur <mjcbur@...>
            > > Subject: Re: [hr100] lottery!!!
            > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
            > > Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
            > > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner
            > > <jvarner1313@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
            > >

            > > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
            > >
            > > Or, if you want something a little easier:
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
            > > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
            > >
            > > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's
            > and
            > > seeing everyone again this summer.
            > >
            > > Best,
            > > Michael Bur
            > > Kensington, MD
          • Bloom, Jerry S
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
              What a day....it started out bad when my sweet little (all 50 lbs of
              her) puppy Chloe got sprayed by a skunk, now I find I am #75 on the wait
              list.

              I have been extremely fortunate with the HRH lottery until
              yesterday.......

              Best of luck to all of those who did get in!

              Jerry (who is looking at the Tahoe Rim website during lunch)

            • Rodger Wrublik
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2009
                James,

                Funny this should come up, now. Just last week, my wife and I sat down and
                had a nice talk with the special events coordinator from the City of
                Silverton; talking to her about putting on more events.The Silverton Alpine
                Marathon, the Epic 50k and a few other ideas, were all mentioned. The town
                really needs the additional activities, but probably not in July because so
                much is already going on at that time of the year (especially around the
                4th). The idea is to add runs and other events during our slower times, such
                as in August and September and then add some snowshoe and Nordic type
                'series' events, in the winter. The town is already on board and is really
                excited about getting things off the ground. Our next step, at this point,
                is to get in touch with the BLM, to see how they feel about all of this and
                then to find out just how many runners and skiers would be acceptable for
                the different events.

                My wife and I offered to take on some of these, with one of them being a
                multi-loop run, using a similar course as to the one that you used for your
                Epic event. We'd probably implement the same format that we have used at
                Javelina Jundred; where you change directions after each loop and use the
                same timing system that we use for Across The Years and JJ. The idea is to
                keep all of the crew and family members close-by, so that all of the vendors
                benefit from the event. We'd probably call it a 100 miler but would still
                recognize the 50k and 100k distances. All proceeds from the run would either
                go to a Silverton School Sports Program, or to the town Chamber (we're
                involved with both). If you already have plans to do the same type of thing,
                we can easily do something different - let us know. Any ideas or input would
                be greatly appreciated.

                Thanks,

                Rodger

                Silverton, Colorado

                On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM, james varner <jvarner1313@...> wrote:

                > hi mike
                >
                > i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics! and maybe one day
                > i'll put in for those too.
                >
                > i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which encirles silverton,
                > average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has 14,400ft of gain and the course
                > record is 8:56 by kyle and erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners
                > 12-16hrs. the 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300
                > and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and 1/3 of the
                > course is off trail/off road--following elk trails, old mining trails and
                > scree fields.
                >
                > sounds great huh?!?
                > james
                >

                > Rainshadow Running
                > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com
                >
                > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, Michael Bur <mjcbur@... <mjcbur%40yahoo.com>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > From: Michael Bur <mjcbur@... <mjcbur%40yahoo.com>>
                > > Subject: Re: [hr100] lottery!!!
                > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com <hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
                > > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner
                > > <jvarner1313@... <jvarner1313%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
                > >

                > > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
                > >
                > > Or, if you want something a little easier:
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
                > > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
                > >
                > > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and
                > > seeing everyone again this summer.
                > >
                > > Best,
                > > Michael Bur
                > > Kensington, MD

              • Erik Moortgat
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Hey,
                  Does anyone have the pdf of the 2007 Runner's Manual?
                  Thanx, Moogy

                  emoortgat@...
                • Lois MacKenzie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009