Re: [hr100] lottery!!!

  • Twiggsc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
      As I understand it, the change in the lottery this year was intended to increase the # of 1st timers. Anyone know if that's how it worked out?

      Chris #8 Twiggs

      From: james varner <jvarner1313@...>

      Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:19:59
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <whit@...>
      Subject: Re: [hr100] lottery!!!

      sorry whit! what's it going to take for us to get in this race on lottery day? i'd come do a week straight of trail work! 4 days last year obviously wasn't enough!

      maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
      james

      Rainshadow Running
      www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
        James -

        If it makes you feel any better, your name coming out of the jar was
        met with groans and exclamations of "Oh! I wish James was higher on the list!"

        - Blake

        At 04:36 PM 2/1/2009, you wrote:

        >congrats to everyone who got in!
        >i however seem to have the worst hardrock lottery luck ever! 0 for
        >5. this year i'm lower on the waitlist than the last two years! i'm
        >tempted to pull my out name right now...
        >
        >james #40 varner
        >
        >Rainshadow Running
        >www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com
      • Michael Bur
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
          --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner <jvarner1313@...> wrote:

          > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...

          Epic? Actually, there is one already:

          http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv

          Or, if you want something a little easier:

          http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
          (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)

          Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and seeing everyone again this summer.

          Best,
          Michael Bur
          Kensington, MD
        • David Goldberg
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
            Understand your pain James--one finish plus handies and several no picks = on the wait list (1 for 6 now)

            if you are interested in a tough race you are sure to get in I am riding the Colorado trail race (mountain bike) starting 8/2 in Denver--it is free, no limit and you just show up to ride 530 miles unassisted (no lottery, t shirt, aid station etc, either). If not see you at the Handies work day.

            david #56 goldberg

            To: hr100@yahoogroups.comFrom: jvarner1313@...: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:36:44 -0800Subject: [hr100] lottery!!!

            congrats to everyone who got in! i however seem to have the worst hardrock lottery luck ever! 0 for 5. this year i'm lower on the waitlist than the last two years! i'm tempted to pull my out name right now...james #40 varnerRainshadow Runningwww.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

          • james varner
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
              hi mike

              i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics! and maybe one day i'll put in for those too.

              i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which encirles silverton, average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has 14,400ft of gain and the course record is 8:56 by kyle and erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners 12-16hrs. the 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300 and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and 1/3 of the course is off trail/off road--following elk trails, old mining trails and scree fields.

              sounds great huh?!?
              james

              Rainshadow Running
              www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

              > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
              >

              > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
              >
              > Or, if you want something a little easier:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
              > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
              >
              > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and
              > seeing everyone again this summer.
              >
              > Best,
              > Michael Bur
              > Kensington, MD
            • james varner
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! i'll try to stop being a sore waitlister. i wsh there was a way we could all run the race and still keep it a great little run. there is no other race i'd rather run and i wouldn't want that to change.

                thanks everyone!
                james

                Rainshadow Running
                www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

                > i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics!
                > and maybe one day i'll put in for those too.
                >
                > i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which
                > encirles silverton, average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has
                > 14,400ft of gain and the course record is 8:56 by kyle and
                > erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners 12-16hrs. the
                > 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300
                > and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and
                > 1/3 of the course is off trail/off road--following elk
                > trails, old mining trails and scree fields.
                >
                > sounds great huh?!?
                > james
                >
                > Rainshadow Running
                > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com
                >

                > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > From: Michael Bur <mjcbur@...>
                > > Subject: Re: [hr100] lottery!!!
                > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
                > > Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
                > > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner
                > > <jvarner1313@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
                > >

                > > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
                > >
                > > Or, if you want something a little easier:
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
                > > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
                > >
                > > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's
                > and
                > > seeing everyone again this summer.
                > >
                > > Best,
                > > Michael Bur
                > > Kensington, MD
              • Bloom, Jerry S
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                  What a day....it started out bad when my sweet little (all 50 lbs of
                  her) puppy Chloe got sprayed by a skunk, now I find I am #75 on the wait
                  list.

                  I have been extremely fortunate with the HRH lottery until
                  yesterday.......

                  Best of luck to all of those who did get in!

                  Jerry (who is looking at the Tahoe Rim website during lunch)

                • Rodger Wrublik
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2009
                    James,

                    Funny this should come up, now. Just last week, my wife and I sat down and
                    had a nice talk with the special events coordinator from the City of
                    Silverton; talking to her about putting on more events.The Silverton Alpine
                    Marathon, the Epic 50k and a few other ideas, were all mentioned. The town
                    really needs the additional activities, but probably not in July because so
                    much is already going on at that time of the year (especially around the
                    4th). The idea is to add runs and other events during our slower times, such
                    as in August and September and then add some snowshoe and Nordic type
                    'series' events, in the winter. The town is already on board and is really
                    excited about getting things off the ground. Our next step, at this point,
                    is to get in touch with the BLM, to see how they feel about all of this and
                    then to find out just how many runners and skiers would be acceptable for
                    the different events.

                    My wife and I offered to take on some of these, with one of them being a
                    multi-loop run, using a similar course as to the one that you used for your
                    Epic event. We'd probably implement the same format that we have used at
                    Javelina Jundred; where you change directions after each loop and use the
                    same timing system that we use for Across The Years and JJ. The idea is to
                    keep all of the crew and family members close-by, so that all of the vendors
                    benefit from the event. We'd probably call it a 100 miler but would still
                    recognize the 50k and 100k distances. All proceeds from the run would either
                    go to a Silverton School Sports Program, or to the town Chamber (we're
                    involved with both). If you already have plans to do the same type of thing,
                    we can easily do something different - let us know. Any ideas or input would
                    be greatly appreciated.

                    Thanks,

                    Rodger

                    Silverton, Colorado

                    On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM, james varner <jvarner1313@...> wrote:

                    > hi mike
                    >
                    > i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics! and maybe one day
                    > i'll put in for those too.
                    >
                    > i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which encirles silverton,
                    > average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has 14,400ft of gain and the course
                    > record is 8:56 by kyle and erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners
                    > 12-16hrs. the 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300
                    > and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and 1/3 of the
                    > course is off trail/off road--following elk trails, old mining trails and
                    > scree fields.
                    >
                    > sounds great huh?!?
                    > james
                    >

                    > Rainshadow Running
                    > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com
                    >
                    > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, Michael Bur <mjcbur@... <mjcbur%40yahoo.com>>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > From: Michael Bur <mjcbur@... <mjcbur%40yahoo.com>>
                    > > Subject: Re: [hr100] lottery!!!
                    > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com <hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
                    > > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner
                    > > <jvarner1313@... <jvarner1313%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
                    > >

                    > > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
                    > >
                    > > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
                    > >
                    > > Or, if you want something a little easier:
                    > >
                    > > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
                    > > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
                    > >
                    > > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and
                    > > seeing everyone again this summer.
                    > >
                    > > Best,
                    > > Michael Bur
                    > > Kensington, MD

                  • Erik Moortgat
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009
                      Hey,
                      Does anyone have the pdf of the 2007 Runner's Manual?
                      Thanx, Moogy

                      emoortgat@...
                    • Lois MacKenzie
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009