Re: [hr100] lottery!!!

  • Whit Rambach
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
      JV et al,

      I trump you on the HR lottery curse. However, I started #99 WL last
      year and got in last minute... literally. Keep the faith!

      Whit #164 Rambach (stop laughing)

      On Feb 1, 2009, at 3:36 PM, james varner wrote:

      > congrats to everyone who got in!
      > i however seem to have the worst hardrock lottery luck ever! 0 for 5.
      > this year i'm lower on the waitlist than the last two years! i'm
      > tempted to pull my out name right now...
      >
      > james #40 varner
      >
      > Rainshadow Running
      > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

    • james varner
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
        sorry whit! what's it going to take for us to get in this race on lottery day? i'd come do a week straight of trail work! 4 days last year obviously wasn't enough!

        maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
        james

        Rainshadow Running
        www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

        > I trump you on the HR lottery curse. However, I started
        > #99 WL last
        > year and got in last minute... literally. Keep the faith!
        >
        > Whit #164 Rambach (stop laughing)
        >
        > On Feb 1, 2009, at 3:36 PM, james varner wrote:
        >
        > > congrats to everyone who got in!
        > > i however seem to have the worst hardrock lottery
        > luck ever! 0 for 5.
        > > this year i'm lower on the waitlist than the last
        > two years! i'm
        > > tempted to pull my out name right now...
        > >
        > > james #40 varner
        > >
        > > Rainshadow Running
        > > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

      • Kelly Korevec
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
          Now I don't feel so bad. That is some bum luck James.

          Congrats to everyone who got in!

          I hope to still make it out to Silverton to cheer y'all on. :)

          -kelly - #76

          kelly@...
          @korevec

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
            As I understand it, the change in the lottery this year was intended to increase the # of 1st timers. Anyone know if that's how it worked out?

            Chris #8 Twiggs

            From: james varner <jvarner1313@...>

            Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:19:59
            To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <whit@...>
            Subject: Re: [hr100] lottery!!!

            sorry whit! what's it going to take for us to get in this race on lottery day? i'd come do a week straight of trail work! 4 days last year obviously wasn't enough!

            maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
            james

            Rainshadow Running
            www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

            > I trump you on the HR lottery curse. However, I started
            > #99 WL last
            > year and got in last minute... literally. Keep the faith!
            >
            > Whit #164 Rambach (stop laughing)
            >
            > On Feb 1, 2009, at 3:36 PM, james varner wrote:
            >
            > > congrats to everyone who got in!
            > > i however seem to have the worst hardrock lottery
            > luck ever! 0 for 5.
            > > this year i'm lower on the waitlist than the last
            > two years! i'm
            > > tempted to pull my out name right now...
            > >
            > > james #40 varner
            > >
            > > Rainshadow Running
            > > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

          • Blake Wood and Rebecca Clark
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
              James -

              If it makes you feel any better, your name coming out of the jar was
              met with groans and exclamations of "Oh! I wish James was higher on the list!"

              - Blake

              At 04:36 PM 2/1/2009, you wrote:

              >congrats to everyone who got in!
              >i however seem to have the worst hardrock lottery luck ever! 0 for
              >5. this year i'm lower on the waitlist than the last two years! i'm
              >tempted to pull my out name right now...
              >
              >james #40 varner
              >
              >Rainshadow Running
              >www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com
            • Michael Bur
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
                --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner <jvarner1313@...> wrote:

                > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...

                Epic? Actually, there is one already:

                http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv

                Or, if you want something a little easier:

                http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
                (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)

                Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and seeing everyone again this summer.

                Best,
                Michael Bur
                Kensington, MD
              • David Goldberg
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Understand your pain James--one finish plus handies and several no picks = on the wait list (1 for 6 now)

                  if you are interested in a tough race you are sure to get in I am riding the Colorado trail race (mountain bike) starting 8/2 in Denver--it is free, no limit and you just show up to ride 530 miles unassisted (no lottery, t shirt, aid station etc, either). If not see you at the Handies work day.

                  david #56 goldberg

                  To: hr100@yahoogroups.comFrom: jvarner1313@...: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:36:44 -0800Subject: [hr100] lottery!!!

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                    hi mike

                    i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics! and maybe one day i'll put in for those too.

                    i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which encirles silverton, average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has 14,400ft of gain and the course record is 8:56 by kyle and erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners 12-16hrs. the 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300 and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and 1/3 of the course is off trail/off road--following elk trails, old mining trails and scree fields.

                    sounds great huh?!?
                    james

                    Rainshadow Running
                    www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

                    > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
                    >

                    > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
                    >
                    > Or, if you want something a little easier:
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
                    > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
                    >
                    > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and
                    > seeing everyone again this summer.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > Michael Bur
                    > Kensington, MD
                  • james varner
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                      thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! i'll try to stop being a sore waitlister. i wsh there was a way we could all run the race and still keep it a great little run. there is no other race i'd rather run and i wouldn't want that to change.

                      thanks everyone!
                      james

                      Rainshadow Running
                      www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com

                      > i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics!
                      > and maybe one day i'll put in for those too.
                      >
                      > i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which
                      > encirles silverton, average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has
                      > 14,400ft of gain and the course record is 8:56 by kyle and
                      > erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners 12-16hrs. the
                      > 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300
                      > and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and
                      > 1/3 of the course is off trail/off road--following elk
                      > trails, old mining trails and scree fields.
                      >
                      > sounds great huh?!?
                      > james
                      >
                      > Rainshadow Running
                      > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com
                      >

                      > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > From: Michael Bur <mjcbur@...>
                      > > Subject: Re: [hr100] lottery!!!
                      > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
                      > > Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
                      > > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner
                      > > <jvarner1313@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
                      > >

                      > > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
                      > >
                      > > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
                      > >
                      > > Or, if you want something a little easier:
                      > >
                      > > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
                      > > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
                      > >
                      > > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's
                      > and
                      > > seeing everyone again this summer.
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > > Michael Bur
                      > > Kensington, MD
                    • Bloom, Jerry S
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                        What a day....it started out bad when my sweet little (all 50 lbs of
                        her) puppy Chloe got sprayed by a skunk, now I find I am #75 on the wait
                        list.

                        I have been extremely fortunate with the HRH lottery until
                        yesterday.......

                        Best of luck to all of those who did get in!

                        Jerry (who is looking at the Tahoe Rim website during lunch)

                      • Rodger Wrublik
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 3, 2009
                          James,

                          Funny this should come up, now. Just last week, my wife and I sat down and
                          had a nice talk with the special events coordinator from the City of
                          Silverton; talking to her about putting on more events.The Silverton Alpine
                          Marathon, the Epic 50k and a few other ideas, were all mentioned. The town
                          really needs the additional activities, but probably not in July because so
                          much is already going on at that time of the year (especially around the
                          4th). The idea is to add runs and other events during our slower times, such
                          as in August and September and then add some snowshoe and Nordic type
                          'series' events, in the winter. The town is already on board and is really
                          excited about getting things off the ground. Our next step, at this point,
                          is to get in touch with the BLM, to see how they feel about all of this and
                          then to find out just how many runners and skiers would be acceptable for
                          the different events.

                          My wife and I offered to take on some of these, with one of them being a
                          multi-loop run, using a similar course as to the one that you used for your
                          Epic event. We'd probably implement the same format that we have used at
                          Javelina Jundred; where you change directions after each loop and use the
                          same timing system that we use for Across The Years and JJ. The idea is to
                          keep all of the crew and family members close-by, so that all of the vendors
                          benefit from the event. We'd probably call it a 100 miler but would still
                          recognize the 50k and 100k distances. All proceeds from the run would either
                          go to a Silverton School Sports Program, or to the town Chamber (we're
                          involved with both). If you already have plans to do the same type of thing,
                          we can easily do something different - let us know. Any ideas or input would
                          be greatly appreciated.

                          Thanks,

                          Rodger

                          Silverton, Colorado

                          On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM, james varner <jvarner1313@...> wrote:

                          > hi mike
                          >
                          > i know of those two and from what i hear they are epics! and maybe one day
                          > i'll put in for those too.
                          >
                          > i was refering to 3 loops of the EPIC 50K course, which encirles silverton,
                          > average elevation 11,000ft. the 50k has 14,400ft of gain and the course
                          > record is 8:56 by kyle and erik skaggs. and took all of the other runners
                          > 12-16hrs. the 100 miler would have about 48,000ft of gain, low point 9300
                          > and would go over 12,500 13 times, over 13k 10 times. oh and 1/3 of the
                          > course is off trail/off road--following elk trails, old mining trails and
                          > scree fields.
                          >
                          > sounds great huh?!?
                          > james
                          >

                          > Rainshadow Running
                          > www.rainshadow-running.blogspot.com
                          >
                          > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, Michael Bur <mjcbur@... <mjcbur%40yahoo.com>>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > From: Michael Bur <mjcbur@... <mjcbur%40yahoo.com>>
                          > > Subject: Re: [hr100] lottery!!!
                          > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com <hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
                          > > --- On Sun, 2/1/09, james varner
                          > > <jvarner1313@... <jvarner1313%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > maybe there needs to be an epic 100 miler...
                          > >

                          > > Epic? Actually, there is one already:
                          > >
                          > > http://tinyurl.com/8v3hv
                          > >
                          > > Or, if you want something a little easier:
                          > >
                          > > http://tinyurl.com/c5yvlu
                          > > (the same net elev. gain/loss as HR w/o the altitude)
                          > >
                          > > Looking forward to getting back to the San Juan's and
                          > > seeing everyone again this summer.
                          > >
                          > > Best,
                          > > Michael Bur
                          > > Kensington, MD

                        • Erik Moortgat
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009
                            Hey,
                            Does anyone have the pdf of the 2007 Runner's Manual?
                            Thanx, Moogy

                            emoortgat@...
                          • Lois MacKenzie
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009