Re: [hr100] Arriba NM run cancelled

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2000
      --- RLAFORME@... wrote:
      > Matt,
      >
      > Bozena and i will be ariving in Silverton on june 21
      > and would love to run
      > any part of the Nolans 14 at any time (except Elbert
      > and Huron)

      How about Mt. Yale from the Collegiate Peaks
      campground west of Buena Vista on Rt. 306 or the
      trailhead 1/2 mile to the west. I'm not familiar with
      the area, but it looks pretty straightforward on the
      map. It looks like out and back on good trail, about
      4-5 miles each way, from about 9800 ft. to 14,194 ft
      and back.

      We could make this a loop course by taking the route
      back that Fred Vance recommeded. From Yale, take the
      east ridge to the Colorado Trail, then south to the
      road. The last 2 miles back to the camp would be west
      on paved road (uck!) I think this would be about
      11-12 miles.

      We could add another 10-12 miles by continuing north
      to Columbia and back, or 4 more if we continued north
      to Harvard. Fred recommends taking an avalanche chute
      down to a bridge across the North Cottonwood Creek at
      about 10,000 ft, and another chute up to Columbia.
      There is a trail, but it would several extra miles
      each way and more climbing. Columbia to Harvard is a
      few hundred feet below a ridge that drops to about
      13,000 ft.

      Anyway, I was thinking about Sunday morning, June 25.
      I'll only have 4 days acclimation at that point (from
      sea level), so I may take the shorter option depending
      how I feel, and probably be slow. Afterwards, I want
      to stay in the area and explore the rest of the
      Nolan's course. Usually after 3 days I don't have any
      problem with altitude sickness at 14,000 ft, but it
      takes me about 11-14 days to go from 1000-1500 ft/hr
      to 2000 ft/hr rate of climb above/below treeline. The
      only thing that saves me is that I run downhill pretty
      fast with or without acclimation.

      =====

      http://im.yahoo.com/