R2R2R - thanks!

  • cloud runner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2008
      thanks to the many runners who shared with me their experiences in the Grand Canyon double crossing.

      This past Friday was the day for me. 42 miles is well beyond my experience, so I was conservative throughout, just wanted to make it safely.

      We began at 2:30 AM in 50 mph winds. Plummeting down South Kaibab with headlamps, a rock face on one side, and inky blackness on the other, gust trying to toss you over, quite a beginning. Two hours later we crossed the river bridge. We made plenty of enjoyment stops, photo opportunities, met nice people, and finished nicely with the setting sun in seventeen hours, not trying for time. Everything suggested worked from Pertuleum to compression shorts. I discovered that smokehouse almonds offers plenty of salt, very consumable, and 3,000 calories per pound! Same with salted cashews. I also did a "meal" of pinole, the ground corn running food of the Tarahumara Indians.

      On another note, I have never run through the wee hours of the morning like that, never experienced how the EYES of the night glow! And the animal at the other end has no idea he is in full view! ... My partner has done this many times before, he said the white eyes, they are deer. The small yellow eyes close together, they are bobcat. But the BIG yellow eyes, far apart, that's mountain lion. We saw a momma and two yearling cub mountain lions! I called them with a small animal distress call, and they came right in. At about thirty yards, I decided that was enough playing, and we ran on.

      One day with sore quads from the downhill, and today, feeling pretty good!

      Thank you again, HardRockers.

      Fred

      "Cloud-Runner"