Re: [hr100] Arriba NM run cancelled

  • RLAFORME@LA-TIERRA.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2000
      Matt,

      Bozena and i will be ariving in Silverton on june 21 and would love to run
      any part of the Nolans 14 at any time (except Elbert and Huron)

      Ginny La Forme rlaforme@...
      325 Onate St. 505-753-3291
      Espanola, NM 87532 505-753-8340
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2000
        --- RLAFORME@... wrote:
        > Matt,
        >
        > Bozena and i will be ariving in Silverton on june 21
        > and would love to run
        > any part of the Nolans 14 at any time (except Elbert
        > and Huron)

        How about Mt. Yale from the Collegiate Peaks
        campground west of Buena Vista on Rt. 306 or the
        trailhead 1/2 mile to the west. I'm not familiar with
        the area, but it looks pretty straightforward on the
        map. It looks like out and back on good trail, about
        4-5 miles each way, from about 9800 ft. to 14,194 ft
        and back.

        We could make this a loop course by taking the route
        back that Fred Vance recommeded. From Yale, take the
        east ridge to the Colorado Trail, then south to the
        road. The last 2 miles back to the camp would be west
        on paved road (uck!) I think this would be about
        11-12 miles.

        We could add another 10-12 miles by continuing north
        to Columbia and back, or 4 more if we continued north
        to Harvard. Fred recommends taking an avalanche chute
        down to a bridge across the North Cottonwood Creek at
        about 10,000 ft, and another chute up to Columbia.
        There is a trail, but it would several extra miles
        each way and more climbing. Columbia to Harvard is a
        few hundred feet below a ridge that drops to about
        13,000 ft.

        Anyway, I was thinking about Sunday morning, June 25.
        I'll only have 4 days acclimation at that point (from
        sea level), so I may take the shorter option depending
        how I feel, and probably be slow. Afterwards, I want
        to stay in the area and explore the rest of the
        Nolan's course. Usually after 3 days I don't have any
        problem with altitude sickness at 14,000 ft, but it
        takes me about 11-14 days to go from 1000-1500 ft/hr
        to 2000 ft/hr rate of climb above/below treeline. The
        only thing that saves me is that I run downhill pretty
        fast with or without acclimation.

        =====

        http://im.yahoo.com/