ultra advice from Hard-Rockers?

  • cloud runner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6 4:39 PM
      I would be happy for advice on preparation: i bet several of you have done this, too...

      What I want to do ... Grand Canyon R2R2R. A friend, who is a walker/hiker, and who has hiked it 34 times, and who does it in about 16 hours, will accompany me. he prepares by hiking up and down a nearby hill, Atalaya, which is 2,000 feet in two miles. I run it regularly.

      My background ... I am 63 years old, and see that plenty of sixty-somethings have done it. I have run for 50 years. My first marathon was in 1969, my most recent was the Pikes Peak Marathon, did it last year. This summer, was doing the Ascent, and was turned around at A-Frame by a blizzard, so did most of the marathon since had to run back down, that, last month. My preparation level is 45 to 50 miles a week. I ran six fourteeners this summer. My longest runs at altitude were about six hours, and down here (at 7,000 ft) I run 20 milers in about four hours any more (sorry, age, slowing down).

      I have never run an ultra, and it is not my intention to do a formal one. But the double crossing of the Grand Canyon is something i would love to do. I have four weeks to build upon my base to survive a 42 mile fast-hike. I ran 22 miles today, kept the pace and pulse quite slow, and feel pretty good right now as I write, only a little stiffening, an Achilles tendon complaining, but that's the price of fifty years of running.

      I am plenty intimidated by the idea of ambulating 42 miles and for sixteen hours! Any comments on preparation to go from where I am to where I need to be, I won't likely run very much of it, both training tips and food/water/electrolyte comments will be eagerly read!

      Thanks Mates,

      Fred

      50,000 + miles and still love it