Re: [hr100] Arriba NM run cancelled

  • RLAFORME@LA-TIERRA.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2000
      Matt,

      Bozena and i will be ariving in Silverton on june 21 and would love to run
      any part of the Nolans 14 at any time (except Elbert and Huron)

      Ginny La Forme rlaforme@...
      325 Onate St. 505-753-3291
      Espanola, NM 87532 505-753-8340
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2000
        I'm going to be arriving in Colorado on June 21. How
        about a run next weekend (like maybe in the Sawatch
        range on the Nolan's 14 course, hint hint).

        =====

        http://im.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2000
          --- RLAFORME@... wrote:
          > Matt,
          >
          > Bozena and i will be ariving in Silverton on june 21
          > and would love to run
          > any part of the Nolans 14 at any time (except Elbert
          > and Huron)

          How about Mt. Yale from the Collegiate Peaks
          campground west of Buena Vista on Rt. 306 or the
          trailhead 1/2 mile to the west. I'm not familiar with
          the area, but it looks pretty straightforward on the
          map. It looks like out and back on good trail, about
          4-5 miles each way, from about 9800 ft. to 14,194 ft
          and back.

          We could make this a loop course by taking the route
          back that Fred Vance recommeded. From Yale, take the
          east ridge to the Colorado Trail, then south to the
          road. The last 2 miles back to the camp would be west
          on paved road (uck!) I think this would be about
          11-12 miles.

          We could add another 10-12 miles by continuing north
          to Columbia and back, or 4 more if we continued north
          to Harvard. Fred recommends taking an avalanche chute
          down to a bridge across the North Cottonwood Creek at
          about 10,000 ft, and another chute up to Columbia.
          There is a trail, but it would several extra miles
          each way and more climbing. Columbia to Harvard is a
          few hundred feet below a ridge that drops to about
          13,000 ft.

          Anyway, I was thinking about Sunday morning, June 25.
          I'll only have 4 days acclimation at that point (from
          sea level), so I may take the shorter option depending
          how I feel, and probably be slow. Afterwards, I want
          to stay in the area and explore the rest of the
          Nolan's course. Usually after 3 days I don't have any
          problem with altitude sickness at 14,000 ft, but it
          takes me about 11-14 days to go from 1000-1500 ft/hr
          to 2000 ft/hr rate of climb above/below treeline. The
          only thing that saves me is that I run downhill pretty
          fast with or without acclimation.

          =====

          http://im.yahoo.com/