Re: [hr100] Drinking Water and Filters

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2000
      --- Duncan Orr <dorr@...> wrote:
      > When I last asked about drinking water along the
      > course, the general
      > reaction was to NOT drink directly from the
      > streams.

      That's assuming you don't want to catch giardia. If
      you don't care (incubation is a couple of weeks), or
      if you already had it like I did and built up a
      resistance, then go ahead and drink from the streams
      without treating the water. That's what I plan to do.

      > 1) Are the aid stations providing water close enough
      > that there shouldn't
      > be a need to drink from streams?

      Not really. Plan on about 6 hours between Sherman and
      Grouse Gulch over Handies Peak (that was last year
      going the other way on a 42 hour pace).

      > 2) For those who filter, what do you recommend? Is
      > it better to carry a
      > pump or use one of the water bottles with a built-in
      > filter? What brands
      > are prefered and/or what brands should be avoided?

      I used to carry iodine tablets, but found out the hard
      way that they don't always work (see above).

      =====

      Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
      http://photos.yahoo.com
    • greg loomis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2000
        Duncan,

        I bought an XStream filter in the water-bottle,
        bottle, and plan to run with that and just go stream
        to stream, eat whatever snow there is and basically
        run barefoot, naked and accept no aide... But that is
        just me.

        Take care all and I hope your hamstrings are feeling
        better than mine.!!!

        Steve Pero and I should hit Silverton around July
        2nd(late) 3rd. Hope to meet many of the names that
        are just names to me now, and make them into real live
        people and friends.

        Greg Loomis
        -

        =====
        �Only those who risk going too far can possibly
        find out how far they can go�- T.S. Eliot

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2000
          --- greg loomis <loomdog@...> wrote:
          > I bought an XStream filter in the water-bottle,
          > bottle, and plan to run with that and just go stream
          > to stream, eat whatever snow there is and basically
          > run barefoot, naked and accept no aide... But that
          > is just me.

          If you are interested in the technique, I added a
          picture to the bottom of
          http://mahoney4.home.netcom.com/hardrock/
          I am somewhat modest, however, so I am wearing shorts.

          PS. On eating snow, carry a handful and take small
          bites so you don't freeze your mouth.

          =====