Re: [hr100] Mosquito Pass photos

  • cloud runner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      Have been enjoying your photo postings, thank you for taking the time. While I have not run that marathon, I have run both Mt Elbert and Mosquito Pass.

      I am interesting in learning the approach, the road, where is it, by which you then did mt Sherman??? We often visit Leadville during the summer to prepare for the altitude in the Pikes Peak Marathon.

      Thanks,

      Fred

      50 years of distance running...
      slower than ever;
      Proof that training doesn't help.
      Rest!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        To get to Mt. Sherman from Leadville, go west (uphill) from Harrison on any of the streets, then right on Hazel, which becomes Toledo, which becomes county road 2. Follow it west for 4 miles, then take a left on 2A (dirt) for 2 more miles until you see a small parking area on the right near the end of the road about 1/4 mile before an old mining building.

        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
          > To get to Mt. Sherman from Leadville, go west (uphill) from

          sorry, uphill is east

          > Harrison on any of the streets, then right on Hazel, which
          > becomes Toledo, which becomes county road 2. Follow it west
          > for 4 miles, then take a left on 2A (dirt) for 2 more miles
          > until you see a small parking area on the right near the
          > end of the road about 1/4 mile before an old mining
          > building.
          >
          > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
          >

          > --- On Tue, 7/1/08, cloud runner <KT5X@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > From: cloud runner <KT5X@...>
          > > Subject: Re: [hr100] Mosquito Pass photos
          > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
          > > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 6:58 PM
          > > Have been enjoying your photo postings, thank you for
          > taking
          > > the time. While I have not run that marathon, I have
          > run
          > > both Mt Elbert and Mosquito Pass.
          > >
          > > I am interesting in learning the approach, the road,
          > where
          > > is it, by which you then did mt Sherman??? We often
          > visit
          > > Leadville during the summer to prepare for the
          > altitude in
          > > the Pikes Peak Marathon.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Fred
          > >
          > > 50 years of distance running...
          > > slower than ever;
          > > Proof that training doesn't help.
          > > Rest!

        • cloud runner
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
            Thank you, Matt. I am looking at the marathon map and topo, and I see the roads to which you refer. Believe or else, I routinely go up that road a little ways, and camp on what is there labelled, Rock Hill, overlooking the town.

            Two questions, hopefully the last...

            1) Will Subaru Outback likely deal with the road?

            2) Is the trail to Mt Sherman from that parking lot, obvious?

            73,

            Fred

            Pikes Peak Ascent 2005

            No need to worry;
            THAT lightning was
            BELOW US !!!

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
              The dirt road to Mosquito Pass is good for ordinary cars up to the Diamond Mine. You don't need high clearance. Beyond that point you would need 4WD.

              The dirt road to Mt. Sherman is also good, but a bit rougher. Ordinary cars can make it with careful driving. You will probably see other cars parked on the right about 2 miles after leaving the pavement. If not, look for a small building near the end of the road but park 1/4 mile before it, where the road is lowest above the basin on the right. When I was there, it was 1/4 mile past a snowfield that left just enough dry road to drive across.

              -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

              > Thank you, Matt. I am looking at the marathon map and topo,
              > and I see the roads to which you refer. Believe or else, I
              > routinely go up that road a little ways, and camp on what
              > is there labelled, Rock Hill, overlooking the town.
              >
              > Two questions, hopefully the last...
              >
              > 1) Will Subaru Outback likely deal with the road?
              >
              > 2) Is the trail to Mt Sherman from that parking lot,
              > obvious?
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Fred
              >

              > Pikes Peak Ascent 2005
              >
              > No need to worry;
              > THAT lightning was
              > BELOW US !!!

            • cloud runner
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
                TNX, and good luck, good running, good times in the marathon Saturday. I plan to run the Summer Round-up XC run on sunday, then see if time permits me to come up to Silverton.

                Best wishes,

                Fred