2008 Update

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
      Greeting Hardrockers

      Now that there are people starting to gather in Silverton it doesn't seem
      to make sense to send it via snail mail so this is the update you would have
      normally gotten a couple of weeks ago.
      Trail marking started Saturday and there is actually some places where
      we expected large amounts of snow that are actually rather dry.
      Plans are progressing and we look forward to seeing many of you in
      silverton soon!
      Dale Garland
      RD, Hardrock Hundred Endurance Run

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
        Greetings 2008 Hardrockers!

        We’re looking forward to seeing all of you in shortly! Here’s a quick update
        on the 2008 Hardrock.

        a. Course marking will be held as planned. For those who are returning, you
        know that the course marking crews leave from Charlie Thorn’s house according
        to the schedule in the runners manual (available on our website
        (run100s.com/HR). The Hardrock is happy to have “adopted” Handies Peak as part
        of the Colorado 14er’s Initiative. Handies Peak work weekend will be July 5
        and 6. Currently the work parties for Handies are full but we may need some
        help hauling equipment to our radio repeater sites along the course. We will
        use Charlie Thorn’s house and the course marking network to get the word out
        what is needed and when.
        b. For those who want to monitor the progress of Hardrock via the web, we will
        once again be doing Hardrock Live, which will allow someone to track your
        progress. All your friends and family need to do is go to “hardrock100.com”
        and click on “Hardrock Live”. We will also have wi-fi available in the gym for
        your convenience.
        c. As always, the Hardrock 100 Precision Marching Team will be featured in the
        Silverton 4th of July Parade. No coordination or special skills are necessary;
        in fact they may prove to be a determent. If you haven’t been in Silverton
        over the 4th of July you need to make plans to be there. If you have, then you
        know what I mean.
        d. Karl King and Succeed Sports drink have generously donated their product
        for this years run. We will be using them as our official energy replacement
        drink at all aid stations.
        e. This year’s finishers print has been designed by Hardrock finisher and
        painter Deb Pero. It is dedicated to Chuck Kroger and the view from Kroger’s
        Canteen. I would love to give away 140 copies of her work on Sunday!
        f. As in the past we will hold our awards breakfast at 9 a.m. on Sunday at the
        Silverton School Gym. This is open and free to all Hardrock runners, their
        crews and our volunteers. We do ask that if you are planning on bringing more
        than 2 people with you that you consider making a donation to help us defray
        the cost of our meal.
        g. You all will receive a complimentary map at runners check in. If you would
        like to outline the course on your map, the course outline is available on
        line under the “course maps” section. We will also have an outlined map
        available to copy at the run.
        h. The snow. While we won’t know exactly how much snow is on the course during
        the run we can safely predict that it will be more than in the past couple of
        years. You can expect significant snow in areas such as American Basin,
        Wasatch Basin, Virginius Pass. More information will be made available during
        course marking and at the runners briefings prior to the run.
        i. Runner manuals- We apologize for not getting those of you who wanted a hard
        copy of the runners manual a copy. The entire manual is available on line at
        run100s.com/HR. If you would like a copy for posterity or for another reason
        please let us know and we will make one available to you.
        j. A special note to crews. Due to the increased numbers of runners we have
        decided to make Chapman Gulch a NON CREW aid station. That means that the
        first time you will be able to see your crew will be in Telluride. Please plan
        your run and your support accordingly.

        Dale Garland hardrock100@...
        RD, Hardrock Hundred Endurance Run 970.259.3693

        If you have any of these items cluttering up your closets or garage and would
        like to get rid of them we can use them:

        Ø Blankets
        Ø Camping Chairs
        Ø Flat screen monitors (any size) for Run Headquarters
        Ø Lap top computers (minimum specs: 500 Mhz processor, 256 M memory, 5G hard
        drive, network capable)-For processing runner results
        Ø Folding Cots
        Ø Old camp cookware
        Ø Camp lanterns

        The Hardrock Hundred will purchase a hiking permit for each of you. We do this
        in case we have to conduct a search/rescue or do a medical evacuation. Hiking
        permits will be available the 2 weeks before the run at the Silverton Visitors
        Center. They will also be available for pick up during runner check in.
        Permits for pacers and crews will be available for $3