Status of Cunningham / Dives / Little Giant

  • Fred Ecks
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2008
      Howdy Hardrockers,

      I went for a jaunt yesterday out of Silverton, up Deer Park, over the
      pass into Highland Mary Lakes, down into Cunningham, and up Dives
      Basin. I intended to cross into Little Giant Basin and down into
      Silverton, following the last 9 miles of the course. There's a lot of
      snow (that's not news), but none of it was a big deal until I got to
      this one last little drift that kept me from going into Little Giant.
      It's only maybe 30 feet long, but it was very slushy at this time of day
      (~7 PM), very steep, and dangerous. There's no fixed rope yet (of
      course), and a little slip off this snowdrift would mean a likely
      rocket-ship ride off the cliff below it. It was terribly hard to
      convince myself to turn back, but I did. :-(

      Here are some photos:

      http://picasaweb.google.com/thefreddude/Silverton627Hike

      The last two photos are of the confounded snowdrift and the view down
      below it into Dives Basin.

      That drift may be gone by race day. If it's not, a fixed rope will be a
      wonderful addition!

      Seey'all soon,

      - Fred