Mt. Massive photos

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2008
      Here are some photos from today's climb on Mt. Massive.
      http://mattmahoney.net/2008/massive.html

      If you take the standard route from Halfmoon (Colorado Trail - east slopes), you will get your feet wet. There is a lot of snow and mud in the willows just above treeline. Nothing you can't cross, just messy. Above the saddle at 13,900 there is a large snowfield on a 30 deg. slope. If the snow is soft, you can cross it without gear. Otherwise you can go higher on the ridge to avoid the worst of the snow.

      I climbed the south ridge route, which is a bit shorter but has more climbing. That route is almost completely dry but I did have to climb one small 20 ft. snowfield (plus the big one above the saddle, of course).

      After Elbert yesterday and Massive today, my legs are tired.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2009
        Here are some photos from Mt. Massive today. http://www.mattmahoney.net/2009/part8.html