Grouse to Cunningham...Trail conditions

  • Nardini Manor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2008
      Hello Hardrockers,

      Earlier in the week, I went from Cunningham to Maggie and back and only had
      to use crampons on one occasion. Granted, I post-holed a lot more than I
      would have, had I taken the time to put the snowshoes on that I lugged along
      (for nothing). The surprising thing is that the snow is much firmer, this
      year, than I've ever seen it. The majority of the snow was so hard packed;
      there was no real need for crampons or snowshoes, at all. The only place
      that was really difficult was the cornice that's always slow to melt, just
      outside of Maggie. I ended up taking a different route around it.

      Yesterday, I went from Grouse to Maggie and things are definitely different
      from the other years that I've seen. It made for a longer day than I had
      expected but things went really well, and like others have said - it's
      melting really fast. American Basin still has a ton of snow and I could only
      see about 10% of the trail up until about 1000 feet below Handies Peak.
      Because of all the snow, I had to use crampons through the entire basin
      area, up until about 1000 feet from the top. The good news is; this section
      looks about the same as it looked last year (just three weeks out) and it
      all melted just fine. On the other side of Handies, conditions were great!
      ;-/ There's so much snow, all you have to do is just sit down and enjoy the
      ride. Just a few minutes over Handies, there was a nice little thunder storm
      and a dusting of snow. A nice reminder of how quickly things can change!
      After the initial descent, there are still a lot of snow fields and some
      were so soft that I finally had to put the snowshoes on. And even with the
      snowshoes on, I was post-holing at least a foot with each step. Once down
      into the main drainage of Grizzly, everything was really nice.

      From the main drainage in Grizzly and all of the way to Sherman, things were
      fantastic. There are a few downed trees (I counted eight), going up Cataract
      but nothing bad. Towards the top of Cataract and all the way to Pole Creek,
      there are quite a few snowfields, but nothing so bad you can't get through.
      The surprising thing here was the water in the drainages. They were going so
      fast and furious; I actually had to go downstream on a couple of occasions
      to get across safely (it didn't help that I had to carry my dog across). I'm
      sure the water levels will slow down soon.or at least I hope they will! From
      Pole Creek to Maggie, there's a ton of mud and I actually sunk all the ways
      to my knees on a couple of occasions. And of course, there are still some
      good sized snowfields to navigate as you approach the saddle, just before
      Maggie.

      I was also lucky enough to see my first mountain lion in the wild (in the
      Green Mountain drainage) and then another as I was leaving Cunningham Gulch
      on the road, diving into the brush. What a sight!

      If anyone is interested in pictures (I didn't catch one of the mountain
      lion.sorry), feel free to contact me off list at: nardinimanor@...

      Rodger Wrublik

    • james varner
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2008
        thanks for the detailed report rodger

        can't wait to see you and everyone in silverton!

        james