Hardrock/Nolans 14 training

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2000
      Due to the sudden death of my car, I have changed my travel plans slightly.
      I will be flying (not driving) to Colorado on June 21 and returning July 11.
      I'm familiar with the Hardrock course, so I'm mostly interested in learning
      the Nolan's 14 course, specifically Huron, Harvard, Columbia, Yale,
      Princeton, Antero, and Tabeguache. I've already climbed the other mountains
      in the Sawatch range (except the last bit of Missouri), but I wouldn't mind
      doing some of them again if there's time. I can get parts of the course I
      missed on my second trip in early August. The Nolans's 14 course goes from
      Mt. Massive to Mt. Shavano over 14 summits.

      I anticipate spending only short periods of time above 12,000 ft. for the
      first 2-3 days while I acclimate (I live at sea level), and I won't be very
      fast for the first week. I plan to camp near Leadville for most of the
      time, and then be in Silverton on July 4 for the 10K and stay in the area
      until Hardrock on July 7-9. I would be interested in hiking the second
      night portion from Kamm Traverse to the finish on the 4'th or 5'th. (This
      was where I got lost 2 years ago, resulting in a 51:38 DNF).

      If you want to do some training with me, contact me offline.

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@..., www.he.net/~mmahoney/ub/