Show changes in Silverton - from Charlie

  • kaitainen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2008
      Hardrockers.

      I've been in Silverton for a few weeks now and have seen a remarkable
      snowmelt. However, there is a lot of snow up in the high country and
      I believe there will be significant snow on the course this year.

      Rodger Wrublik climbed up Little Giant a couple of days ago and
      reported that he was very happy to have brought crampons and ice ax.
      The early morning frozen snow was steep and hard.

      Today, Friday, was very warm and we're expecting very warm weather for
      a few days so a melt pulse will likely occur.

      I don't know what conditions will be on run day but, I recommend that
      all runners come up early to get on the course and understand the
      actual conditions. Course Marking begins June 28 and we'll have a
      great chance to enjoy the mountains.

      Later,

      Charlie
      thorncha@...
    • Fred Ecks
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2008
        Howdy Charlie,

        No foolin'! I arrived in Silverton this morning -- it was *hot* here
        today! Once the sun mellowed out a little, I took a jaunt up Boulder
        Gulch, only to commence some serious postholing at about 10,500
        elevation. I'm torn between wanting it all to melt away versus the
        major "creek" (raging river!) crossings we'll be lookin' at.

        Please count me in for course marking, with the exception of trail work
        days.

        Thanks,

        - Fred
        415-425-0805 cell, now in Silverton until July 14th
      • Andy Hewat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2008
          OK now you guys are seriously freaking me out! Can't wait.
          I'm flying over this Saturday and due to crossing the date line I will arrive on Saturday despite 24 hours of transit. So I am packing all my summer and winter gear. Look forward to setting up the Aussie Embassy in Silverton.
          Charlie I am keen for marking and trail work.
          Andy.

          www.yahoo7.com.au/mail