Re: [hr100] Hardrock Snow Rpt/SPECIAL REQUEST

  • Rich Limacher
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2000
      Hey Charlie:

      1) Thank "Ja" your house ain't ganja!
      (i.e., smoke)
      (e.g., Jamaica)

      2) (That was supposed to be "sort of a joke" but, seriously,
      I'm sure I and EVERYONE ELSE on this and all other lists are
      extremely grateful you suffered no horrible damage during
      the recent firestorm. Including, I suppose, the
      ultrainsurance adjusters' listserv too. :)

      3) What? Am I the only idiot out here that looks at your
      chart and can't for the life of me figure out why you say
      this year's snowpack is so low? You are charting 165.5
      cumulative inches through May 1st, right? In the history of
      the race, THAT total--among all the deep totals for this
      date--is in FOURTH PLACE! Only the years 92-93, 94-95, and
      96-97 had more snow!!!

      No?

      What am I not understanding here?

      According to the chart, there's more white stuff out there
      now than there was at this time last year! And last year
      damn near killed me!!!!

      (i.e., bloody chutes)
      (e.g. "Jamaican Olympic Bobsled Team" w/o bobsled)

      (Sorry. I guess I'm overreacting. Again.)

      Keep reading...

      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2000
        Rich,

        Thanks for the concern. No, the house ain't ganja!

        You're correct about reading the snow chart and not being able to infer dry
        conditions for Hardrock. I made my statement based on other information,
        some gathered first hand. The snow load this year is dreadfully low all
        across the San Juans. The last month has seen very warm temperatures that
        have melted the snow very fast. And, I've been up there. There is just
        not a lot of snow for this time of year and the creeks are running very
        low.

        So, unless there is significant snow between now and July, I believe this
        will be the driest running of Hardrock so far.

        I'll see you up there.

        Charlie