Re: [hr100] HR lodging, camping near Silverton

  • Fred Ecks
    Message 1 of 18 , May 28, 2008
      On Wed, 28 May 2008 4:30 pm, Deb's Gmail wrote:
      > Low budget hotels are the Prospector, and maybe the Outsider's Inn.

      Before considering the Outsider's Inn, ask me for the current state of
      my experiences with the proprietor. I think I'm out the $250 I paid, as
      it appears she won't honor my reservation there. At the moment, I'm
      disgusted. Time will tell if she redeems the situation...

      Just a head's-up,

      - Fred
    • Nardini Manor
      Message 2 of 18 , May 28, 2008
        Fred and others,

        I believe that the Outsider's Inn is closed and is for sale. I'll check it
        out tomorrow and will let you know.

        Rodger Wrublik

        _____

        Message 3 of 18 , May 28, 2008
        • Lois MacKenzie
          Message 4 of 18 , May 28, 2008
            Dont forget to check out the Chamber of Commerce web site for information about places to stay and don't wait any longer if you want a bed.

            Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote: --- Kelly Korevec <korevec@...> wrote:

            > I'm looking for accommodations in the Silverton area for 7/02 - 7/14.
            >
            > I'm low-budget, and doing hardrock without a crew. I'm checking out my
            > options, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or help.

            There is free camping at South Mineral campground, 3 miles from town (just
            off 550 toward Ouray). That is where I plan to stay. You can also camp
            free around Grouse Gulch if you want more altitude training.

            With regard to gear, I don't plan to take an ice axe or crampons. It is
            easier to find a pointy rock for the few times when you need one. I will
            have long pants for the glissades since I don't like "frostbutt".

            -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

            Keep in Touch,
            LMac

          • The Troubadour
            Message 5 of 18 , May 28, 2008
              No! Say it ain't so, Rodger!

              I (cough cough) just L-O-V-E-D that place!!!!! It had secret passages! It
              had passages (verbal, heard thru the walls). It had
              SECRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Like, dig: Big honkin'
              riggers from, like, Mexico who had not-so-quiet "designs" on the landlady!
              And "vice" versa!!!)

              There was a rooftop mattress for sunbathing! (never laundered)
              There were cowgirl outfits in the "queensize guestroom"! (never laundered)
              There was an "unclaimed laptop" which (cough cough) the previous queensize
              guestroom "guest" inadvertently left underneath the queen. (bathed or
              unbathed? not sure; but sunbathed FOR SURE!)
              Oh, there were "stories"... heh-heh, weren't there?

              OK, look, Rodger here is obviously following the rules and NOT hawking his
              own F.I.'s in commercial enterprise. So, let me do it.

              Everybody circle up and gather round. Prior till now (and the reason for my
              staying at the cowgirl's Blair Street, uh, FORMER house of--shall we
              say--"infame" and "shrill repute") myself and spouse AVOIDED the fricking
              Wyman Hotel "and Inn" like children avoid sewage... precisely BECAUSE at
              that time the Wyman was owned by the "shrill" and the "infame." And they
              fricking STOLE our deposit AND the entire amount of our "stay" AFTER the
              Hardrock was cancelled that year.

              [Whew. I thought by now I'd've gotten over that. Apparently not.]

              But that's not the point. The point here is that THOSE freakers high-tailed
              it out of town (on a rail? tarred and feathered? in a lifeboat loaded with
              sewage??) and then presto/change-o: Rodger Wrublik now owns the Wyman
              Hotel.

              So, for goodness sakes, STAY THERE!!! (At least a couple days, eh?) Call
              'em up. Telegraph 'em. Crank up your dial-up and get their website
              [http://www.thewyman.com/ (currently down however)] up on your screen. Look
              and be amazed. You cannot find better accommodations throughout the entire
              State of Colorado!

              Here. Don't take my word for it, whammo/presto:

              http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an
              d_Inn_The-Silverton_Colorado.html

              [Note that the Wrubliks bought the place in Sept. 2006. Thus, compare
              reviews before and after that date!]

              There. I've did my deed. Good or bad, let "the list" decide!

              Yours troubly,

              Rich ("if I was in, I'd stay at that Inn") Limacher
              TheTroubadour@...

              NFI in inns, nor am I a big rigger, nor am I on the outs with Outsiders.

              _____

              From: hr100@yahoogroups. <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> com
              On Wed, 28 May 2008 4:30 pm, Deb's Gmail wrote:
              > Low budget hotels are the Prospector, and maybe the Outsider's Inn.

              Before considering the Outsider's Inn, ask me for the current state of
              my experiences with the proprietor. I think I'm out the $250 I paid, as
              it appears she won't honor my reservation there. At the moment, I'm
              disgusted. Time will tell if she redeems the situation...

              Just a head's-up,

              - Fred

              [Dubious cowgirl outfits, feather boas, and thigh-high-hidden derringers
              might possibly remain, however. So: watch it, pardner! ;-]

              .

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1587600/grpspId=1707208752/msgId
              =1609/stime=1212026975/nc1=5028924/nc2=5370602/nc3=4763759>

              Message 6 of 18 , May 28, 2008
              • Fred Ecks
                Message 7 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                  While the Troubador paints a colorful portrait of the Outsider's Inn, I
                  currently figure I'll probably end up camping for a month, and will sue
                  Roseanne Mather (the proprietor) simply for the lack of anything better
                  to do when not checking out an effin' awesome course. I think the cash
                  I paid in advance for a room is history. I'll never collect, but the
                  Chamber of Commerce should be made aware, and I'll have the time to do
                  just that.

                  Ooh, and I'll be tapering, too. Bonus!!! :-)

                  - Fred the gadfly
                • Steve Pero
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                    Well of COURSE the Wyman is the best place in town, that goes without
                    saying.
                    Though thanks for saying it. And of COURSE the Wrubliks are the best
                    hosts in town. I wanted to mention
                    it in my original email only Kelly was asking for camping or
                    just-a-step-above-camping type accommodations.
                    The Wyman is so much more than that, it seemed almost disrespectful to
                    name it in conjunction with the afore-mentioned
                    housing. Nowhere else in town do you have Hardrockers as your hosts,
                    wonderful hot gourmet breakfasts, luxury, history, and
                    style all at the same time! Just hanging out in the lobby is nice! So,
                    yes, definitely, if you can, treat yourself to a stay, however brief, at
                    the Wyman.
                    It just might make your race even better!

                    And I remember laughing till we cried at the daily dose of drama from
                    Rich's stay at the Outsider- nobody can spin a yarn like Rich, only
                    this time, he didn't have to
                    spin it.. It was a whirlwind of wackiness every day. Sorry to hear of
                    Fred's troubles with the place, and hope you get a resolution more
                    favorable than now seems the case.

                    and, now, once again, we will hear from the absent Dale, that he, still,
                    is out of town and will respond to emails upon his return. We hope he's
                    having fun.
                    deb

                    The Troubadour wrote:

                    > No! Say it ain't so, Rodger!
                    >
                    > I (cough cough) just L-O-V-E-D that place!!!!! It had secret passages! It
                    > had passages (verbal, heard thru the walls). It had
                    > SECRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Like, dig: Big honkin'
                    > riggers from, like, Mexico who had not-so-quiet "designs" on the landlady!
                    > And "vice" versa!!!)
                    >
                    > There was a rooftop mattress for sunbathing! (never laundered)
                    > There were cowgirl outfits in the "queensize guestroom"! (never laundered)
                    > There was an "unclaimed laptop" which (cough cough) the previous queensize
                    > guestroom "guest" inadvertently left underneath the queen. (bathed or
                    > unbathed? not sure; but sunbathed FOR SURE!)
                    > Oh, there were "stories"... heh-heh, weren't there?
                    >
                    > OK, look, Rodger here is obviously following the rules and NOT hawking his
                    > own F.I.'s in commercial enterprise. So, let me do it.
                    >
                    > Everybody circle up and gather round. Prior till now (and the reason
                    > for my
                    > staying at the cowgirl's Blair Street, uh, FORMER house of--shall we
                    > say--"infame" and "shrill repute") myself and spouse AVOIDED the fricking
                    > Wyman Hotel "and Inn" like children avoid sewage... precisely BECAUSE at
                    > that time the Wyman was owned by the "shrill" and the "infame." And they
                    > fricking STOLE our deposit AND the entire amount of our "stay" AFTER the
                    > Hardrock was cancelled that year.
                    >
                    > [Whew. I thought by now I'd've gotten over that. Apparently not.]
                    >
                    > But that's not the point. The point here is that THOSE freakers
                    > high-tailed
                    > it out of town (on a rail? tarred and feathered? in a lifeboat loaded with
                    > sewage??) and then presto/change-o: Rodger Wrublik now owns the Wyman
                    > Hotel.
                    >
                    > So, for goodness sakes, STAY THERE!!! (At least a couple days, eh?) Call
                    > 'em up. Telegraph 'em. Crank up your dial-up and get their website
                    > [http://www.thewyman.com/ <http://www.thewyman.com/> (currently down
                    > however)] up on your screen. Look
                    > and be amazed. You cannot find better accommodations throughout the entire
                    > State of Colorado!
                    >
                    > Here. Don't take my word for it, whammo/presto:
                    >
                    > http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an
                    > <http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an>
                    > d_Inn_The-Silverton_Colorado.html
                    >
                    > [Note that the Wrubliks bought the place in Sept. 2006. Thus, compare
                    > reviews before and after that date!]
                    >
                    > There. I've did my deed. Good or bad, let "the list" decide!
                    >
                    > Yours troubly,
                    >
                    > Rich ("if I was in, I'd stay at that Inn") Limacher
                    > TheTroubadour@... <mailto:TheTroubadour%40sbcglobal.net>
                    >
                    > NFI in inns, nor am I a big rigger, nor am I on the outs with Outsiders.
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>

                    http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/

                  • Nardini Manor
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                      Hello Hardrockers,

                      The consensus in town is to stay away from the Outsider Inn and if you lost
                      any money, contact the Silverton Sheriff: 970-387-5531

                      As far as available beds go, here's what's available as of this morning:

                      The Villa Dalla Valle 970-387-5555 - has 5 rooms available for July 10th,
                      11, 12, 13 as of today @ 10:00am Rate range from 79.00 - 99.00.

                      Teller House 970-387-5423 - has rooms for 7/10 & 7/11 but none for 12th &
                      13th. Room rates range from 89.00 - 105.00.

                      Prospector - call for availability 970-387-5466 (as of 5/29/08 sold out)

                      Alma House AKA The Inn at the Rockies 970-387-5336 - has one room available
                      on July, 10th, 11, 12 for 85.00 and has other rooms for 10th not 11th but
                      12, 13th.

                      Canyon View Motel 970-387-5400 - call for availability (as of 5/29/08 sold
                      out)

                      Grand Imperial 970-387-5527- Still has rooms available 79.00 - 135.00

                      Good luck!

                      Rodger Wrublik

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                        Granted, Roseanne is quirky. But just for my own cuiosity, I called her to find out what is going on. She left the place with another woman this winter and reservations got all screwed up to the point of needing intervention by a judge. At this point she is in tears, only renting rooms by the month and is, she says, full for the summer. She also said that she spoke with Fred Yesterday and has offered him her best room for a month at $250.
                        Your weather and gossip reporter on the ground in Beautiful Downtown Silverton!!
                        LMac

                        Fred Ecks <fredx@...> wrote: While the Troubador paints a colorful portrait of the Outsider's Inn, I

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                          Thanks, Lois. I just got a call from Roseanne, before I read your
                          email. She was all friendly and nice (a departure from other calls),
                          and said she'd *of course* honor my reservation (a departure from other
                          phone calls), and explained that I'd have the entire downstairs all to
                          myself (WTF?!). Even though I had offered her extra money as a good
                          faith compromise (her temporary manager apparently stole the money I
                          sent), she didn't even mention that.

                          I was completely befuddled when I got off the phone, wondering if
                          Roseanne was back on her meds, or what! All I could figure was that
                          someone had Guido and Da Boyz pay her a visit after my emailing the HR
                          list. Sure enough! :-)

                          Thank you so much.

                          Okay folks, change of opinion: Outsider's Inn is frickin' BIZARRE, but I
                          should have some great stories to tell on the course...

                          - Fred

                          Lois MacKenzie wrote:

                          > Granted, Roseanne is quirky. But just for my own cuiosity, I called
                          > her to find out what is going on. She left the place with another
                          > woman this winter and reservations got all screwed up to the point of
                          > needing intervention by a judge. At this point she is in tears, only
                          > renting rooms by the month and is, she says, full for the summer. She
                          > also said that she spoke with Fred Yesterday and has offered him her
                          > best room for a month at $250.
                          > Your weather and gossip reporter on the ground in Beautiful Downtown
                          > Silverton!!
                          > LMac

                        • Craig Slagel
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                            I also have a reservation at the Outsider's Inn, after talking to a
                            few people I realized I didn't want to risk arriving with nowhere to
                            stay, So I may have an extra room from June 15-July 15 for $400 if
                            anyone is interested.