Re: [hr100] HR lodging, camping near Silverton

    Message 1 of 18 , May 28, 2008
      Message 2 of 18 , May 28, 2008
        --- Kelly Korevec <korevec@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking for accommodations in the Silverton area for 7/02 - 7/14.
        >
        > I'm low-budget, and doing hardrock without a crew. I'm checking out my
        > options, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or help.

        There is free camping at South Mineral campground, 3 miles from town (just
        off 550 toward Ouray). That is where I plan to stay. You can also camp
        free around Grouse Gulch if you want more altitude training.

        With regard to gear, I don't plan to take an ice axe or crampons. It is
        easier to find a pointy rock for the few times when you need one. I will
        have long pants for the glissades since I don't like "frostbutt".

        Message 3 of 18 , May 28, 2008
          Message 4 of 18 , May 28, 2008
          • Deb's Gmail
            Message 5 of 18 , May 28, 2008
              Hi Kelly,
              Like Matt mentioned, there is free camping near Mineral Creek... and
              many other places in the area. Near Grouse Gulch is one. Most all the
              public land is open to camping.
              Some areas near the ski hill below Kendall Mtn.
              Mineral Creek (there's both a paid camping area and free spots along the
              river) will be a zoo over the 4th of July... so you might want to wait
              until after that to try to find a spot. In fact, everyplace will be a
              zoo over the 4th.
              Low budget hotels are the Prospector, and maybe the Outsider's Inn.
              There's an RV park, with cabins and tent sites in town also.
              Showers there. I can't remember the name. Your best bet for cheap
              lodging is probably the Silverton Hostel. It's very inexpensive, with
              shared showers and a shared kitchentte.Many places will already be full.
              Some people like to camp at Little Molas Lake (10K) on the way to
              Durango.. not that far from Silverton, but you'd need a car. Higher
              elevations might still have snow.
              Be aware if camping that nights can get down into the 20's, and probably
              WILL get down well below freezing. Sorry if you're an old hand at
              mountain camping, but thought I should mention that. You'll want a zero
              degree bag, and definitely a pad underneath. There is one small market
              in Silverton, which carries a good selection of basic food items for
              slightly higher prices of course, but if you need special items, plan
              on going to the larger market in durango, about an hour away.

              good luck!
              deb pero

              Kelly Korevec wrote:

              > I'm looking for accommodations in the Silverton area for 7/02 - 7/14.
              >
              > I'm low-budget, and doing hardrock without a crew. I'm checking out my
              > options, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or help.
              >
              > Sharing lodging, camping near Silverton, couch surfing, sleeping on the
              > floor. I have a thermarest and can sleep almost anywhere. Any type advice
              > would help a great deal.
              >
              > Thanks guys!
              >
              > Kelly Patrick Korevec

              http://debpero.blogspot.com/

            • Fred Ecks
              Message 6 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                On Wed, 28 May 2008 4:30 pm, Deb's Gmail wrote:
                > Low budget hotels are the Prospector, and maybe the Outsider's Inn.

                Before considering the Outsider's Inn, ask me for the current state of
                my experiences with the proprietor. I think I'm out the $250 I paid, as
                it appears she won't honor my reservation there. At the moment, I'm
                disgusted. Time will tell if she redeems the situation...

                Just a head's-up,

                - Fred
              • Nardini Manor
                Message 7 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                  Fred and others,

                  I believe that the Outsider's Inn is closed and is for sale. I'll check it
                  out tomorrow and will let you know.

                  Rodger Wrublik

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                  • Lois MacKenzie
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                      Dont forget to check out the Chamber of Commerce web site for information about places to stay and don't wait any longer if you want a bed.

                      Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote: --- Kelly Korevec <korevec@...> wrote:

                      > I'm looking for accommodations in the Silverton area for 7/02 - 7/14.
                      >
                      > I'm low-budget, and doing hardrock without a crew. I'm checking out my
                      > options, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or help.

                      There is free camping at South Mineral campground, 3 miles from town (just
                      off 550 toward Ouray). That is where I plan to stay. You can also camp
                      free around Grouse Gulch if you want more altitude training.

                      With regard to gear, I don't plan to take an ice axe or crampons. It is
                      easier to find a pointy rock for the few times when you need one. I will
                      have long pants for the glissades since I don't like "frostbutt".

                      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

                      Keep in Touch,
                      LMac

                    • The Troubadour
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                        No! Say it ain't so, Rodger!

                        I (cough cough) just L-O-V-E-D that place!!!!! It had secret passages! It
                        had passages (verbal, heard thru the walls). It had
                        SECRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Like, dig: Big honkin'
                        riggers from, like, Mexico who had not-so-quiet "designs" on the landlady!
                        And "vice" versa!!!)

                        There was a rooftop mattress for sunbathing! (never laundered)
                        There were cowgirl outfits in the "queensize guestroom"! (never laundered)
                        There was an "unclaimed laptop" which (cough cough) the previous queensize
                        guestroom "guest" inadvertently left underneath the queen. (bathed or
                        unbathed? not sure; but sunbathed FOR SURE!)
                        Oh, there were "stories"... heh-heh, weren't there?

                        OK, look, Rodger here is obviously following the rules and NOT hawking his
                        own F.I.'s in commercial enterprise. So, let me do it.

                        Everybody circle up and gather round. Prior till now (and the reason for my
                        staying at the cowgirl's Blair Street, uh, FORMER house of--shall we
                        say--"infame" and "shrill repute") myself and spouse AVOIDED the fricking
                        Wyman Hotel "and Inn" like children avoid sewage... precisely BECAUSE at
                        that time the Wyman was owned by the "shrill" and the "infame." And they
                        fricking STOLE our deposit AND the entire amount of our "stay" AFTER the
                        Hardrock was cancelled that year.

                        [Whew. I thought by now I'd've gotten over that. Apparently not.]

                        But that's not the point. The point here is that THOSE freakers high-tailed
                        it out of town (on a rail? tarred and feathered? in a lifeboat loaded with
                        sewage??) and then presto/change-o: Rodger Wrublik now owns the Wyman
                        Hotel.

                        So, for goodness sakes, STAY THERE!!! (At least a couple days, eh?) Call
                        'em up. Telegraph 'em. Crank up your dial-up and get their website
                        [http://www.thewyman.com/ (currently down however)] up on your screen. Look
                        and be amazed. You cannot find better accommodations throughout the entire
                        State of Colorado!

                        Here. Don't take my word for it, whammo/presto:

                        http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an
                        d_Inn_The-Silverton_Colorado.html

                        [Note that the Wrubliks bought the place in Sept. 2006. Thus, compare
                        reviews before and after that date!]

                        There. I've did my deed. Good or bad, let "the list" decide!

                        Yours troubly,

                        Rich ("if I was in, I'd stay at that Inn") Limacher
                        TheTroubadour@...

                        NFI in inns, nor am I a big rigger, nor am I on the outs with Outsiders.

                        _____

                        From: hr100@yahoogroups. <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> com
                        On Wed, 28 May 2008 4:30 pm, Deb's Gmail wrote:
                        > Low budget hotels are the Prospector, and maybe the Outsider's Inn.

                        Before considering the Outsider's Inn, ask me for the current state of
                        my experiences with the proprietor. I think I'm out the $250 I paid, as
                        it appears she won't honor my reservation there. At the moment, I'm
                        disgusted. Time will tell if she redeems the situation...

                        Just a head's-up,

                        - Fred

                        [Dubious cowgirl outfits, feather boas, and thigh-high-hidden derringers
                        might possibly remain, however. So: watch it, pardner! ;-]

                        .

                        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1587600/grpspId=1707208752/msgId
                        =1609/stime=1212026975/nc1=5028924/nc2=5370602/nc3=4763759>

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                        • Fred Ecks
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                            While the Troubador paints a colorful portrait of the Outsider's Inn, I
                            currently figure I'll probably end up camping for a month, and will sue
                            Roseanne Mather (the proprietor) simply for the lack of anything better
                            to do when not checking out an effin' awesome course. I think the cash
                            I paid in advance for a room is history. I'll never collect, but the
                            Chamber of Commerce should be made aware, and I'll have the time to do
                            just that.

                            Ooh, and I'll be tapering, too. Bonus!!! :-)

                            - Fred the gadfly
                          • Steve Pero
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                              Well of COURSE the Wyman is the best place in town, that goes without
                              saying.
                              Though thanks for saying it. And of COURSE the Wrubliks are the best
                              hosts in town. I wanted to mention
                              it in my original email only Kelly was asking for camping or
                              just-a-step-above-camping type accommodations.
                              The Wyman is so much more than that, it seemed almost disrespectful to
                              name it in conjunction with the afore-mentioned
                              housing. Nowhere else in town do you have Hardrockers as your hosts,
                              wonderful hot gourmet breakfasts, luxury, history, and
                              style all at the same time! Just hanging out in the lobby is nice! So,
                              yes, definitely, if you can, treat yourself to a stay, however brief, at
                              the Wyman.
                              It just might make your race even better!

                              And I remember laughing till we cried at the daily dose of drama from
                              Rich's stay at the Outsider- nobody can spin a yarn like Rich, only
                              this time, he didn't have to
                              spin it.. It was a whirlwind of wackiness every day. Sorry to hear of
                              Fred's troubles with the place, and hope you get a resolution more
                              favorable than now seems the case.

                              and, now, once again, we will hear from the absent Dale, that he, still,
                              is out of town and will respond to emails upon his return. We hope he's
                              having fun.
                              deb

                              The Troubadour wrote:

                              > No! Say it ain't so, Rodger!
                              >
                              > I (cough cough) just L-O-V-E-D that place!!!!! It had secret passages! It
                              > had passages (verbal, heard thru the walls). It had
                              > SECRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Like, dig: Big honkin'
                              > riggers from, like, Mexico who had not-so-quiet "designs" on the landlady!
                              > And "vice" versa!!!)
                              >
                              > There was a rooftop mattress for sunbathing! (never laundered)
                              > There were cowgirl outfits in the "queensize guestroom"! (never laundered)
                              > There was an "unclaimed laptop" which (cough cough) the previous queensize
                              > guestroom "guest" inadvertently left underneath the queen. (bathed or
                              > unbathed? not sure; but sunbathed FOR SURE!)
                              > Oh, there were "stories"... heh-heh, weren't there?
                              >
                              > OK, look, Rodger here is obviously following the rules and NOT hawking his
                              > own F.I.'s in commercial enterprise. So, let me do it.
                              >
                              > Everybody circle up and gather round. Prior till now (and the reason
                              > for my
                              > staying at the cowgirl's Blair Street, uh, FORMER house of--shall we
                              > say--"infame" and "shrill repute") myself and spouse AVOIDED the fricking
                              > Wyman Hotel "and Inn" like children avoid sewage... precisely BECAUSE at
                              > that time the Wyman was owned by the "shrill" and the "infame." And they
                              > fricking STOLE our deposit AND the entire amount of our "stay" AFTER the
                              > Hardrock was cancelled that year.
                              >
                              > [Whew. I thought by now I'd've gotten over that. Apparently not.]
                              >
                              > But that's not the point. The point here is that THOSE freakers
                              > high-tailed
                              > it out of town (on a rail? tarred and feathered? in a lifeboat loaded with
                              > sewage??) and then presto/change-o: Rodger Wrublik now owns the Wyman
                              > Hotel.
                              >
                              > So, for goodness sakes, STAY THERE!!! (At least a couple days, eh?) Call
                              > 'em up. Telegraph 'em. Crank up your dial-up and get their website
                              > [http://www.thewyman.com/ <http://www.thewyman.com/> (currently down
                              > however)] up on your screen. Look
                              > and be amazed. You cannot find better accommodations throughout the entire
                              > State of Colorado!
                              >
                              > Here. Don't take my word for it, whammo/presto:
                              >
                              > http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an
                              > <http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an>
                              > d_Inn_The-Silverton_Colorado.html
                              >
                              > [Note that the Wrubliks bought the place in Sept. 2006. Thus, compare
                              > reviews before and after that date!]
                              >
                              > There. I've did my deed. Good or bad, let "the list" decide!
                              >
                              > Yours troubly,
                              >
                              > Rich ("if I was in, I'd stay at that Inn") Limacher
                              > TheTroubadour@... <mailto:TheTroubadour%40sbcglobal.net>
                              >
                              > NFI in inns, nor am I a big rigger, nor am I on the outs with Outsiders.
                              >

                              > _____
                              >
                              > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>

                              http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/

                            • Nardini Manor
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                Hello Hardrockers,

                                The consensus in town is to stay away from the Outsider Inn and if you lost
                                any money, contact the Silverton Sheriff: 970-387-5531

                                As far as available beds go, here's what's available as of this morning:

                                The Villa Dalla Valle 970-387-5555 - has 5 rooms available for July 10th,
                                11, 12, 13 as of today @ 10:00am Rate range from 79.00 - 99.00.

                                Teller House 970-387-5423 - has rooms for 7/10 & 7/11 but none for 12th &
                                13th. Room rates range from 89.00 - 105.00.

                                Prospector - call for availability 970-387-5466 (as of 5/29/08 sold out)

                                Alma House AKA The Inn at the Rockies 970-387-5336 - has one room available
                                on July, 10th, 11, 12 for 85.00 and has other rooms for 10th not 11th but
                                12, 13th.

                                Canyon View Motel 970-387-5400 - call for availability (as of 5/29/08 sold
                                out)

                                Grand Imperial 970-387-5527- Still has rooms available 79.00 - 135.00

                                Good luck!

                                Rodger Wrublik

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                  Granted, Roseanne is quirky. But just for my own cuiosity, I called her to find out what is going on. She left the place with another woman this winter and reservations got all screwed up to the point of needing intervention by a judge. At this point she is in tears, only renting rooms by the month and is, she says, full for the summer. She also said that she spoke with Fred Yesterday and has offered him her best room for a month at $250.
                                  Your weather and gossip reporter on the ground in Beautiful Downtown Silverton!!
                                  LMac

                                  Fred Ecks <fredx@...> wrote: While the Troubador paints a colorful portrait of the Outsider's Inn, I

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                    Thanks, Lois. I just got a call from Roseanne, before I read your
                                    email. She was all friendly and nice (a departure from other calls),
                                    and said she'd *of course* honor my reservation (a departure from other
                                    phone calls), and explained that I'd have the entire downstairs all to
                                    myself (WTF?!). Even though I had offered her extra money as a good
                                    faith compromise (her temporary manager apparently stole the money I
                                    sent), she didn't even mention that.

                                    I was completely befuddled when I got off the phone, wondering if
                                    Roseanne was back on her meds, or what! All I could figure was that
                                    someone had Guido and Da Boyz pay her a visit after my emailing the HR
                                    list. Sure enough! :-)

                                    Thank you so much.

                                    Okay folks, change of opinion: Outsider's Inn is frickin' BIZARRE, but I
                                    should have some great stories to tell on the course...

                                    - Fred

                                    Lois MacKenzie wrote:

                                    > Granted, Roseanne is quirky. But just for my own cuiosity, I called
                                    > her to find out what is going on. She left the place with another
                                    > woman this winter and reservations got all screwed up to the point of
                                    > needing intervention by a judge. At this point she is in tears, only
                                    > renting rooms by the month and is, she says, full for the summer. She
                                    > also said that she spoke with Fred Yesterday and has offered him her
                                    > best room for a month at $250.
                                    > Your weather and gossip reporter on the ground in Beautiful Downtown
                                    > Silverton!!
                                    > LMac

                                  • Craig Slagel
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                      I also have a reservation at the Outsider's Inn, after talking to a
                                      few people I realized I didn't want to risk arriving with nowhere to
                                      stay, So I may have an extra room from June 15-July 15 for $400 if
                                      anyone is interested.