HR lodging, camping near Silverton

  • Kelly Korevec
    Message 1 of 18 , May 28, 2008
      I'm looking for accommodations in the Silverton area for 7/02 - 7/14.

      I'm low-budget, and doing hardrock without a crew. I'm checking out my
      options, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or help.

      Sharing lodging, camping near Silverton, couch surfing, sleeping on the
      floor. I have a thermarest and can sleep almost anywhere. Any type advice
      would help a great deal.

      Thanks guys!

      Kelly Patrick Korevec

      Message 2 of 18 , May 28, 2008
        Message 3 of 18 , May 28, 2008
          --- Kelly Korevec <korevec@...> wrote:

          > I'm looking for accommodations in the Silverton area for 7/02 - 7/14.
          >
          > I'm low-budget, and doing hardrock without a crew. I'm checking out my
          > options, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or help.

          There is free camping at South Mineral campground, 3 miles from town (just
          off 550 toward Ouray). That is where I plan to stay. You can also camp
          free around Grouse Gulch if you want more altitude training.

          With regard to gear, I don't plan to take an ice axe or crampons. It is
          easier to find a pointy rock for the few times when you need one. I will
          have long pants for the glissades since I don't like "frostbutt".

          Message 4 of 18 , May 28, 2008
            Message 5 of 18 , May 28, 2008
            • Deb's Gmail
              Message 6 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                Hi Kelly,
                Like Matt mentioned, there is free camping near Mineral Creek... and
                many other places in the area. Near Grouse Gulch is one. Most all the
                public land is open to camping.
                Some areas near the ski hill below Kendall Mtn.
                Mineral Creek (there's both a paid camping area and free spots along the
                river) will be a zoo over the 4th of July... so you might want to wait
                until after that to try to find a spot. In fact, everyplace will be a
                zoo over the 4th.
                Low budget hotels are the Prospector, and maybe the Outsider's Inn.
                There's an RV park, with cabins and tent sites in town also.
                Showers there. I can't remember the name. Your best bet for cheap
                lodging is probably the Silverton Hostel. It's very inexpensive, with
                shared showers and a shared kitchentte.Many places will already be full.
                Some people like to camp at Little Molas Lake (10K) on the way to
                Durango.. not that far from Silverton, but you'd need a car. Higher
                elevations might still have snow.
                Be aware if camping that nights can get down into the 20's, and probably
                WILL get down well below freezing. Sorry if you're an old hand at
                mountain camping, but thought I should mention that. You'll want a zero
                degree bag, and definitely a pad underneath. There is one small market
                in Silverton, which carries a good selection of basic food items for
                slightly higher prices of course, but if you need special items, plan
                on going to the larger market in durango, about an hour away.

                good luck!
                deb pero

                Kelly Korevec wrote:

                > I'm looking for accommodations in the Silverton area for 7/02 - 7/14.
                >
                > I'm low-budget, and doing hardrock without a crew. I'm checking out my
                > options, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or help.
                >
                > Sharing lodging, camping near Silverton, couch surfing, sleeping on the
                > floor. I have a thermarest and can sleep almost anywhere. Any type advice
                > would help a great deal.
                >
                > Thanks guys!
                >
                > Kelly Patrick Korevec

                http://debpero.blogspot.com/

              • Fred Ecks
                Message 7 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                  On Wed, 28 May 2008 4:30 pm, Deb's Gmail wrote:
                  > Low budget hotels are the Prospector, and maybe the Outsider's Inn.

                  Before considering the Outsider's Inn, ask me for the current state of
                  my experiences with the proprietor. I think I'm out the $250 I paid, as
                  it appears she won't honor my reservation there. At the moment, I'm
                  disgusted. Time will tell if she redeems the situation...

                  Just a head's-up,

                  - Fred
                • Nardini Manor
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                    Fred and others,

                    I believe that the Outsider's Inn is closed and is for sale. I'll check it
                    out tomorrow and will let you know.

                    Rodger Wrublik

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                    • Lois MacKenzie
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                        Dont forget to check out the Chamber of Commerce web site for information about places to stay and don't wait any longer if you want a bed.

                        Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote: --- Kelly Korevec <korevec@...> wrote:

                        > I'm looking for accommodations in the Silverton area for 7/02 - 7/14.
                        >
                        > I'm low-budget, and doing hardrock without a crew. I'm checking out my
                        > options, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or help.

                        There is free camping at South Mineral campground, 3 miles from town (just
                        off 550 toward Ouray). That is where I plan to stay. You can also camp
                        free around Grouse Gulch if you want more altitude training.

                        With regard to gear, I don't plan to take an ice axe or crampons. It is
                        easier to find a pointy rock for the few times when you need one. I will
                        have long pants for the glissades since I don't like "frostbutt".

                        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

                        Keep in Touch,
                        LMac

                      • The Troubadour
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                          No! Say it ain't so, Rodger!

                          I (cough cough) just L-O-V-E-D that place!!!!! It had secret passages! It
                          had passages (verbal, heard thru the walls). It had
                          SECRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Like, dig: Big honkin'
                          riggers from, like, Mexico who had not-so-quiet "designs" on the landlady!
                          And "vice" versa!!!)

                          There was a rooftop mattress for sunbathing! (never laundered)
                          There were cowgirl outfits in the "queensize guestroom"! (never laundered)
                          There was an "unclaimed laptop" which (cough cough) the previous queensize
                          guestroom "guest" inadvertently left underneath the queen. (bathed or
                          unbathed? not sure; but sunbathed FOR SURE!)
                          Oh, there were "stories"... heh-heh, weren't there?

                          OK, look, Rodger here is obviously following the rules and NOT hawking his
                          own F.I.'s in commercial enterprise. So, let me do it.

                          Everybody circle up and gather round. Prior till now (and the reason for my
                          staying at the cowgirl's Blair Street, uh, FORMER house of--shall we
                          say--"infame" and "shrill repute") myself and spouse AVOIDED the fricking
                          Wyman Hotel "and Inn" like children avoid sewage... precisely BECAUSE at
                          that time the Wyman was owned by the "shrill" and the "infame." And they
                          fricking STOLE our deposit AND the entire amount of our "stay" AFTER the
                          Hardrock was cancelled that year.

                          [Whew. I thought by now I'd've gotten over that. Apparently not.]

                          But that's not the point. The point here is that THOSE freakers high-tailed
                          it out of town (on a rail? tarred and feathered? in a lifeboat loaded with
                          sewage??) and then presto/change-o: Rodger Wrublik now owns the Wyman
                          Hotel.

                          So, for goodness sakes, STAY THERE!!! (At least a couple days, eh?) Call
                          'em up. Telegraph 'em. Crank up your dial-up and get their website
                          [http://www.thewyman.com/ (currently down however)] up on your screen. Look
                          and be amazed. You cannot find better accommodations throughout the entire
                          State of Colorado!

                          Here. Don't take my word for it, whammo/presto:

                          http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an
                          d_Inn_The-Silverton_Colorado.html

                          [Note that the Wrubliks bought the place in Sept. 2006. Thus, compare
                          reviews before and after that date!]

                          There. I've did my deed. Good or bad, let "the list" decide!

                          Yours troubly,

                          Rich ("if I was in, I'd stay at that Inn") Limacher
                          TheTroubadour@...

                          NFI in inns, nor am I a big rigger, nor am I on the outs with Outsiders.

                          _____

                          From: hr100@yahoogroups. <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> com
                          On Wed, 28 May 2008 4:30 pm, Deb's Gmail wrote:
                          > Low budget hotels are the Prospector, and maybe the Outsider's Inn.

                          Before considering the Outsider's Inn, ask me for the current state of
                          my experiences with the proprietor. I think I'm out the $250 I paid, as
                          it appears she won't honor my reservation there. At the moment, I'm
                          disgusted. Time will tell if she redeems the situation...

                          Just a head's-up,

                          - Fred

                          [Dubious cowgirl outfits, feather boas, and thigh-high-hidden derringers
                          might possibly remain, however. So: watch it, pardner! ;-]

                          .

                          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1587600/grpspId=1707208752/msgId
                          =1609/stime=1212026975/nc1=5028924/nc2=5370602/nc3=4763759>

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                          • Fred Ecks
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 28, 2008
                              While the Troubador paints a colorful portrait of the Outsider's Inn, I
                              currently figure I'll probably end up camping for a month, and will sue
                              Roseanne Mather (the proprietor) simply for the lack of anything better
                              to do when not checking out an effin' awesome course. I think the cash
                              I paid in advance for a room is history. I'll never collect, but the
                              Chamber of Commerce should be made aware, and I'll have the time to do
                              just that.

                              Ooh, and I'll be tapering, too. Bonus!!! :-)

                              - Fred the gadfly
                            • Steve Pero
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                Well of COURSE the Wyman is the best place in town, that goes without
                                saying.
                                Though thanks for saying it. And of COURSE the Wrubliks are the best
                                hosts in town. I wanted to mention
                                it in my original email only Kelly was asking for camping or
                                just-a-step-above-camping type accommodations.
                                The Wyman is so much more than that, it seemed almost disrespectful to
                                name it in conjunction with the afore-mentioned
                                housing. Nowhere else in town do you have Hardrockers as your hosts,
                                wonderful hot gourmet breakfasts, luxury, history, and
                                style all at the same time! Just hanging out in the lobby is nice! So,
                                yes, definitely, if you can, treat yourself to a stay, however brief, at
                                the Wyman.
                                It just might make your race even better!

                                And I remember laughing till we cried at the daily dose of drama from
                                Rich's stay at the Outsider- nobody can spin a yarn like Rich, only
                                this time, he didn't have to
                                spin it.. It was a whirlwind of wackiness every day. Sorry to hear of
                                Fred's troubles with the place, and hope you get a resolution more
                                favorable than now seems the case.

                                and, now, once again, we will hear from the absent Dale, that he, still,
                                is out of town and will respond to emails upon his return. We hope he's
                                having fun.
                                deb

                                The Troubadour wrote:

                                > No! Say it ain't so, Rodger!
                                >
                                > I (cough cough) just L-O-V-E-D that place!!!!! It had secret passages! It
                                > had passages (verbal, heard thru the walls). It had
                                > SECRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Like, dig: Big honkin'
                                > riggers from, like, Mexico who had not-so-quiet "designs" on the landlady!
                                > And "vice" versa!!!)
                                >
                                > There was a rooftop mattress for sunbathing! (never laundered)
                                > There were cowgirl outfits in the "queensize guestroom"! (never laundered)
                                > There was an "unclaimed laptop" which (cough cough) the previous queensize
                                > guestroom "guest" inadvertently left underneath the queen. (bathed or
                                > unbathed? not sure; but sunbathed FOR SURE!)
                                > Oh, there were "stories"... heh-heh, weren't there?
                                >
                                > OK, look, Rodger here is obviously following the rules and NOT hawking his
                                > own F.I.'s in commercial enterprise. So, let me do it.
                                >
                                > Everybody circle up and gather round. Prior till now (and the reason
                                > for my
                                > staying at the cowgirl's Blair Street, uh, FORMER house of--shall we
                                > say--"infame" and "shrill repute") myself and spouse AVOIDED the fricking
                                > Wyman Hotel "and Inn" like children avoid sewage... precisely BECAUSE at
                                > that time the Wyman was owned by the "shrill" and the "infame." And they
                                > fricking STOLE our deposit AND the entire amount of our "stay" AFTER the
                                > Hardrock was cancelled that year.
                                >
                                > [Whew. I thought by now I'd've gotten over that. Apparently not.]
                                >
                                > But that's not the point. The point here is that THOSE freakers
                                > high-tailed
                                > it out of town (on a rail? tarred and feathered? in a lifeboat loaded with
                                > sewage??) and then presto/change-o: Rodger Wrublik now owns the Wyman
                                > Hotel.
                                >
                                > So, for goodness sakes, STAY THERE!!! (At least a couple days, eh?) Call
                                > 'em up. Telegraph 'em. Crank up your dial-up and get their website
                                > [http://www.thewyman.com/ <http://www.thewyman.com/> (currently down
                                > however)] up on your screen. Look
                                > and be amazed. You cannot find better accommodations throughout the entire
                                > State of Colorado!
                                >
                                > Here. Don't take my word for it, whammo/presto:
                                >
                                > http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an
                                > <http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33646-d74729-Reviews-Wyman_Hotel_an>
                                > d_Inn_The-Silverton_Colorado.html
                                >
                                > [Note that the Wrubliks bought the place in Sept. 2006. Thus, compare
                                > reviews before and after that date!]
                                >
                                > There. I've did my deed. Good or bad, let "the list" decide!
                                >
                                > Yours troubly,
                                >
                                > Rich ("if I was in, I'd stay at that Inn") Limacher
                                > TheTroubadour@... <mailto:TheTroubadour%40sbcglobal.net>
                                >
                                > NFI in inns, nor am I a big rigger, nor am I on the outs with Outsiders.
                                >

                                > _____
                                >
                                > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>

                                http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/

                              • Nardini Manor
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                  Hello Hardrockers,

                                  The consensus in town is to stay away from the Outsider Inn and if you lost
                                  any money, contact the Silverton Sheriff: 970-387-5531

                                  As far as available beds go, here's what's available as of this morning:

                                  The Villa Dalla Valle 970-387-5555 - has 5 rooms available for July 10th,
                                  11, 12, 13 as of today @ 10:00am Rate range from 79.00 - 99.00.

                                  Teller House 970-387-5423 - has rooms for 7/10 & 7/11 but none for 12th &
                                  13th. Room rates range from 89.00 - 105.00.

                                  Prospector - call for availability 970-387-5466 (as of 5/29/08 sold out)

                                  Alma House AKA The Inn at the Rockies 970-387-5336 - has one room available
                                  on July, 10th, 11, 12 for 85.00 and has other rooms for 10th not 11th but
                                  12, 13th.

                                  Canyon View Motel 970-387-5400 - call for availability (as of 5/29/08 sold
                                  out)

                                  Grand Imperial 970-387-5527- Still has rooms available 79.00 - 135.00

                                  Good luck!

                                  Rodger Wrublik

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                    Granted, Roseanne is quirky. But just for my own cuiosity, I called her to find out what is going on. She left the place with another woman this winter and reservations got all screwed up to the point of needing intervention by a judge. At this point she is in tears, only renting rooms by the month and is, she says, full for the summer. She also said that she spoke with Fred Yesterday and has offered him her best room for a month at $250.
                                    Your weather and gossip reporter on the ground in Beautiful Downtown Silverton!!
                                    LMac

                                    Fred Ecks <fredx@...> wrote: While the Troubador paints a colorful portrait of the Outsider's Inn, I

                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                      Thanks, Lois. I just got a call from Roseanne, before I read your
                                      email. She was all friendly and nice (a departure from other calls),
                                      and said she'd *of course* honor my reservation (a departure from other
                                      phone calls), and explained that I'd have the entire downstairs all to
                                      myself (WTF?!). Even though I had offered her extra money as a good
                                      faith compromise (her temporary manager apparently stole the money I
                                      sent), she didn't even mention that.

                                      I was completely befuddled when I got off the phone, wondering if
                                      Roseanne was back on her meds, or what! All I could figure was that
                                      someone had Guido and Da Boyz pay her a visit after my emailing the HR
                                      list. Sure enough! :-)

                                      Thank you so much.

                                      Okay folks, change of opinion: Outsider's Inn is frickin' BIZARRE, but I
                                      should have some great stories to tell on the course...

                                      - Fred

                                      Lois MacKenzie wrote:

                                      > Granted, Roseanne is quirky. But just for my own cuiosity, I called
                                      > her to find out what is going on. She left the place with another
                                      > woman this winter and reservations got all screwed up to the point of
                                      > needing intervention by a judge. At this point she is in tears, only
                                      > renting rooms by the month and is, she says, full for the summer. She
                                      > also said that she spoke with Fred Yesterday and has offered him her
                                      > best room for a month at $250.
                                      > Your weather and gossip reporter on the ground in Beautiful Downtown
                                      > Silverton!!
                                      > LMac

                                    • Craig Slagel
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 29, 2008
                                        I also have a reservation at the Outsider's Inn, after talking to a
                                        few people I realized I didn't want to risk arriving with nowhere to
                                        stay, So I may have an extra room from June 15-July 15 for $400 if
                                        anyone is interested.