Re: [hr100] specialized equipment

    Message 1 of 12 , May 28, 2008
    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 12 , May 28, 2008
        Skis? Snowshoes? Ha! My vote is no...when I first started doing Hardrock
        back in 2001, I carried a ton of stuff (including a tent stake) and never
        used anything but the extra clothing because we ran into storms that year.
        Now I travel much lighter...I will though have some pants in my Telluride
        drop bag to have with me for the guaranteed long glissade down from Kroger's
        Canteen on Virginius.

        My list of stuff carried all the time is:
        2 bottle pack
        short sleeve shirt
        long sleeve shirt (heavier one at night)
        shorts
        Hat for sun
        jacket
        light (backup during the day, will pick up my nightime light at Ouray)
        hiking certificate
        Some type of small runner's lube
        As i said above, pants will be at Telluride and I'll keep them with me from
        then on, probabaly tied around my waist like along with my jacket.

        I do not have or use a crew or pacer, so must be self sufficient and have
        drop bags out there.

        See you all in 5 weeks!
        Steve P.

        --
        http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 12 , May 28, 2008
        • Rich Haefele
          Message 4 of 12 , May 28, 2008
            after the 2005 run when I thought there was a lot of snow on the course, I am thinking this year is going to be very tough.

            You could carry that gear but then when you get down low you would be labouring to carry the shoes or skis... I could see carrying crampons if we were doing the route the other way...usually though there are good steps cut. A better bet might be to carry poles.

            Then again scuba might be the way to go with as much water as there is up there now.

            rich

            Message 5 of 12 , May 28, 2008
            • Jennifer Roach
              Message 6 of 12 , May 28, 2008
                I'm not running this year but a suggestion for the hefty snowpack would
                be a good pair of traction devices for running shoes, such as YaxTrax.
                Could keep one from doing an involuntary glissade.

                Jennifer Roach
                Boulder