re:Re: [hr100] specialized equipment

  • dlease@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 12 , May 28 10:55 AM
      I used a very lightweight ice ax in 2004 and felt that it saved me time
      overall, but not a huge amount of time. I only carried it for part of the
      course, primarily from Telluride to Ouray, and I wish I'd had it from KT to
      Chapman as well.

      But, the cost to carry a lightweight titanium axe is negligible, and I used it
      on a number of glissades.

      Damon
      Message 2 of 12 , May 28 10:55 AM
      • Steve Pero
        Message 3 of 12 , May 28 12:12 PM
          Skis? Snowshoes? Ha! My vote is no...when I first started doing Hardrock
          back in 2001, I carried a ton of stuff (including a tent stake) and never
          used anything but the extra clothing because we ran into storms that year.
          Now I travel much lighter...I will though have some pants in my Telluride
          drop bag to have with me for the guaranteed long glissade down from Kroger's
          Canteen on Virginius.

          My list of stuff carried all the time is:
          2 bottle pack
          short sleeve shirt
          long sleeve shirt (heavier one at night)
          shorts
          Hat for sun
          jacket
          light (backup during the day, will pick up my nightime light at Ouray)
          hiking certificate
          Some type of small runner's lube
          As i said above, pants will be at Telluride and I'll keep them with me from
          then on, probabaly tied around my waist like along with my jacket.

          I do not have or use a crew or pacer, so must be self sufficient and have
          drop bags out there.

          See you all in 5 weeks!
          Steve P.

          --
          http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 12 , May 28 12:13 PM
          • Rich Haefele
            Message 5 of 12 , May 28 3:07 PM
              after the 2005 run when I thought there was a lot of snow on the course, I am thinking this year is going to be very tough.

              You could carry that gear but then when you get down low you would be labouring to carry the shoes or skis... I could see carrying crampons if we were doing the route the other way...usually though there are good steps cut. A better bet might be to carry poles.

              Then again scuba might be the way to go with as much water as there is up there now.

              rich

              Message 6 of 12 , May 28 3:07 PM
              • Jennifer Roach
                Message 7 of 12 , May 28 4:23 PM
                  I'm not running this year but a suggestion for the hefty snowpack would
                  be a good pair of traction devices for running shoes, such as YaxTrax.
                  Could keep one from doing an involuntary glissade.

                  Jennifer Roach
                  Boulder