specialized equipment

  • Craig Slagel
    Message 1 of 12 , May 28, 2008
      I've been reading through the Manual and saw this

      "Feel free to include any specialized equipment such as ice
      axes, crampons, snow shoes, or skis that you are willing to carry
      between drop bag stations as part of your
      paraphernalia."

      Do runners or is anyone planning on using any specialized equipment,
      just wondering how much this can help or do you spend most the time
      just lugging extra weight.

      Craig

      Message 2 of 12 , May 28, 2008
      • Fred Ecks
        Message 3 of 12 , May 28, 2008
          I'm wondering the same thing, contemplating a lightweight ice ax. Do
          others use such things on this course?

          Thanks,

          - Fred
        • Andrea
          Message 4 of 12 , May 28, 2008
            Nope. Use plastic tent stakes - nice and lightweight and good for an
            emergency. Also, learn to glissade - its a great skill to have going
            down Grant-Swamp and Virginius!

            Some people also just pick up a long pointy rock or stick on the way up,
            and then discard it later. Really no need for an axe, though that's my
            not-so-humble opinion.

            Andrea
            (triple DNF'er and double finisher, for what it's worth)

            http://dukecityfood.com
            "Whoever's approval you seek, imprisons you. Choose your jailer with
            care and deliberation."
            --Jamal Rahim
            Message 5 of 12 , May 28, 2008
            • dlease@attglobal.net
              Message 6 of 12 , May 28, 2008
                I used a very lightweight ice ax in 2004 and felt that it saved me time
                overall, but not a huge amount of time. I only carried it for part of the
                course, primarily from Telluride to Ouray, and I wish I'd had it from KT to
                Chapman as well.

                But, the cost to carry a lightweight titanium axe is negligible, and I used it
                on a number of glissades.

                Damon
                Message 7 of 12 , May 28, 2008
                • Steve Pero
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 28, 2008
                    Skis? Snowshoes? Ha! My vote is no...when I first started doing Hardrock
                    back in 2001, I carried a ton of stuff (including a tent stake) and never
                    used anything but the extra clothing because we ran into storms that year.
                    Now I travel much lighter...I will though have some pants in my Telluride
                    drop bag to have with me for the guaranteed long glissade down from Kroger's
                    Canteen on Virginius.

                    My list of stuff carried all the time is:
                    2 bottle pack
                    short sleeve shirt
                    long sleeve shirt (heavier one at night)
                    shorts
                    Hat for sun
                    jacket
                    light (backup during the day, will pick up my nightime light at Ouray)
                    hiking certificate
                    Some type of small runner's lube
                    As i said above, pants will be at Telluride and I'll keep them with me from
                    then on, probabaly tied around my waist like along with my jacket.

                    I do not have or use a crew or pacer, so must be self sufficient and have
                    drop bags out there.

                    See you all in 5 weeks!
                    Steve P.

                    --
                    http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 28, 2008
                    • Rich Haefele
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 28, 2008
                        after the 2005 run when I thought there was a lot of snow on the course, I am thinking this year is going to be very tough.

                        You could carry that gear but then when you get down low you would be labouring to carry the shoes or skis... I could see carrying crampons if we were doing the route the other way...usually though there are good steps cut. A better bet might be to carry poles.

                        Then again scuba might be the way to go with as much water as there is up there now.

                        rich

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 28, 2008
                        • Jennifer Roach
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 28, 2008
                            I'm not running this year but a suggestion for the hefty snowpack would
                            be a good pair of traction devices for running shoes, such as YaxTrax.
                            Could keep one from doing an involuntary glissade.

                            Jennifer Roach
                            Boulder