Re: [hr100] Go- No Go decision

  • carol gerber
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22 10:03 AM
      Hi John,
      Wow! Yesterday must've been REALLY hot down there on Red Mtn Pass!!! What's up with the snotel reading? -99?

      I've been looking at this every day since you sent it....very interesting and informative.
      Thanks,
      Carol

      johncappis <cappis@...> wrote:
      As you see in the pictures that Blake posted, the snow is still
      covering much of the high country around Silverton, but it is going fast.

      In order to try and make the go- no go decision more empirical, the
      following approach has been adopted by the Board of Directors:

      The decision of whether yearly snow pack conditions will allow the
      Hardrock 100 to be held or force it to be canceled, is based on the
      Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) measured at the Red Mountain Pass Snotel
      Site. At any time before June 1 of each year that the SWE is equal to
      or less than 23", the green light is on for that year. If the SWE is
      greater than 23" on June 1, a review of the situation will be made by
      run management and the decision announced on that date. The Snotel
      data may be monitored on line at
      http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=713&state=co.

      Check out the snotel site. I usually look at the daily table, but the
      hourly table gives you a measure of the melt rate over shorter periods.

      My guess is there could be high water in some of the stream crossings,
      similar to 2005.

      John

      'In life we either have reasons or results.' - Peter McWilliams

    • Lois MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22 10:24 AM
        Oh, and by the way, it is snowing here in sunny (not!) Silverton!

        carol gerber <run4thesoul@...> wrote: Hi John,

        johncappis <cappis@...> wrote:
[...]

        Keep in Touch,
        LMac

      • Craig Slagel
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22 10:40 AM
          But the forecast says hot and sunny all next week :) I've booked my
          travel now, I'll be there regardless from June 15th, anyone local want
          to be our mountain trail running guide.

          On May 22, 2008, at 10:24 AM, Lois MacKenzie wrote:

          > Oh, and by the way, it is snowing here in sunny (not!) Silverton!
          >
          > carol gerber <run4thesoul@...> wrote: Hi John,
          > Wow! Yesterday must've been REALLY hot down there on Red Mtn Pass!!!
          > What's up with the snotel reading? -99?
          >
          > I've been looking at this every day since you sent it....very
          > interesting and informative.
          > Thanks,
          > Carol
          >
          > johncappis <cappis@...> wrote:
          > As you see in the pictures that Blake posted, the snow is still
          > covering much of the high country around Silverton, but it is going
          > fast.
          >
          > In order to try and make the go- no go decision more empirical, the
          > following approach has been adopted by the Board of Directors:
          >
          > The decision of whether yearly snow pack conditions will allow the
          > Hardrock 100 to be held or force it to be canceled, is based on the
          > Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) measured at the Red Mountain Pass Snotel
          > Site. At any time before June 1 of each year that the SWE is equal to
          > or less than 23", the green light is on for that year. If the SWE is
          > greater than 23" on June 1, a review of the situation will be made by
          > run management and the decision announced on that date. The Snotel
          > data may be monitored on line at
          > http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=713&state=co.
          >
          > Check out the snotel site. I usually look at the daily table, but the
          > hourly table gives you a measure of the melt rate over shorter
          > periods.
          >
          > My guess is there could be high water in some of the stream crossings,
          > similar to 2005.
          >
          > John
          >
          > 'In life we either have reasons or results.' - Peter McWilliams

          > Keep in Touch,
          > LMac

        • Fred Ecks
          Message 4 of 7 , May 26 6:54 PM
            On Tue, 20 May 2008 7:19 am, johncappis wrote:
            > At any time before June 1 of each year that the SWE is equal to
            > or less than 23", the green light is on for that year. If the SWE is
            > greater than 23" on June 1, a review of the situation will be made by
            > run management and the decision announced on that date. The Snotel data
            > may be monitored on line at
            > http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=713&state=co.

            Ladies and gents, the hourly reading is now 23.0. See you in
            Silverton! :-)

            Life is good,

            - Fred
            Message 5 of 7 , May 26 6:54 PM