Los Alamos

  • RLAFORME@LA-TIERRA.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2000
      Hi All
      '
      According to the damage list and video and personal reports : Charlie's,
      Aaron's,Dave Scudder's, Kris Kern's, Blake Wood's, Richard Hughes' , John
      Cappis's houses are all intact. Don't know about Bob Reedy and several
      other ultra runners.

      Very sadly the home of veteran ultra runner Dick Opsahl and his wife Judy
      was one of the first to go. Dick and Judy are keeping busy as the " night
      watchmen" at the shelter for evacuees in Pojoaque. I will go talk to them
      this morning to see if there is anything we can do to help.

      Steve Patillo lives apprx 20 to 30 M WSW of Los Alamos and his home is
      perfectly safe for now,as are we, so far , although the smoke has been
      terrible until the wind shift today.The wind is supposed to shift towards
      the north today and then back towards th NE on Sun, ( towards me ).The
      temps today have been cooler and the winds calmer, with more of the same
      expected. We are breathing smoke again and objects just feet away are
      hazy.The labs continue to reassure us that there is no radiation
      contamination.

      The fire is now listed at 33,000 acres. It is spreading east to within 4to5
      M( or 3 M, depending on which source you believe) of White Rock on the East
      and past Puye into the Santa Clara Canyon on the North. They say no new
      structures burning in LA or the labs.

      My daughters house is right at the mouth of Santa Clara canyon ( confluence
      W/ the Rio Grande ), but she lives on the "good side of the street" ( that
      is what saved Charlies house ). I really don't expect the fire to come down
      so far, it would take a totally un anticipated change in the winds to cause
      that, We are not really very worried, but our beautiful forrests and the
      trails we train on are being progressively destroyed. It is very hard to
      take, but fire is a natural process and they will eventually become renewed
      ( not sure how different the new vegetation will be )