Why 23

  • johncappis
    Message 1 of 3 , May 21, 2008
      Let me give a little more detail in answer to James' question on how
      the 23" SWE was determined.

      We looked at the history of the SWE at Red Mountain Pass on June 1 for
      the duration of the Hardrock (1992-2007). (This is available with the
      history button on the Snotel site.) The highest SWE for a year
      we held the run was 19.4 in 1997. There was a lot of snow on the
      course in 1997 and everyone learned first hand the definition of post
      holing. The course however was definitely doable.

      For comparison, the year we canceled, 1995 the comparable SWE was 31.3.

      An educated estimation was made that an increase of snow on the course
      of 20% greater than in 1997 could be handled in terms of runner safety
      and getting aid stations into place. A little quick arithmetic of 20%
      greater than 19.4 and rounding to the nearest inch gives 23".

      I must say I like the marmot shadow idea though. Perhaps we can find
      a volunteer marmot near Silverton who wouldn't mind having a tattoo
      applied so we can recognize him/her in future years.
    • Twiggsc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2008
        Actually, John, some would call it animal cruelty to tattoo a marmot. Far better for you to get a tattoo of a marmot.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 21, 2008
          john

          thanks again!!! i love that so many people put so much
          thought into this race! i looked at the historical
          data and found it quite informative. i too compared
          the SWE to past runs although i didn't have the
          personal trail condtition knowledge to fully connect.

          i feel pretty good about this year besides a little
          snow will just make going down virginius more fun!

          i can't wait to see all ya'll
          james