Re: [hr100] The state of the 2008 Run

  • Craig Slagel
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8 10:24 AM
      I'll keep doing my sun dance the trouble is it only seems to be
      affecting California.

      Is the snow more of an issue with runner support and aid Station
      access or is much of the course not runnable. I have a room booked in
      silverton starting June 15 and was hoping to get on the course for
      training. Any thought on having an alternate snow course

      - Craig

      On May 8, 2008, at 10:00 AM, "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Everybody,
      > Today there was a light dusting of snow in Silverton. Currently, the
      > snowpack on the Hardrock course is still above the historical
      > average for
      > other years.
      > The Hardrock run committee will be meeting on May 18th. One of the
      > items
      > we will be discussing is the snowpack and whether or not it will
      > cause us to
      > cancel this years Hardrock.
      > Stay tuned,
      > Dale Garland
      > RD, Hardrock Hundred Endurance Run

    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8 10:54 AM
        Written in the latest Silverton Standard are the words below written by
        Freddie Canfield, which gives me some hope!

        "Warming weather has blessed our realm in recent days. April ended with a
        high one degree shy of 60. We have not been disappointed with the beginning
        of May. Lows have been edging gradually higher, into the teens and 20's now
        for over three weeks.
        Even with one day's high below freezing and another day barely above,
        overall we continue to thaw out.
        Four days bettered 50 and on Monday we actually reached 60.8 and Tuesday
        60.9. Also, winds decreased on Sunday and have only occasionally been brisk
        on the days since.
        Wildlife reports of both great and small species continue. Three of my good
        friends encountered an equal number of elk while high altitude rock
        scrambling. If any of you have stories of other non-migrating elk surviving
        the winter, please share with me.
        A very small species that requires our immediate assistance has returned.
        Hummingbirds are back, so get out your feeders!
        Last week, I sensed a change in the way the air smells. This week, I can
        clearly detect a quality of sweetness. May sweetness find a place in all
        aspects of our lives."

        see you all in June!
        Steve
        --
        http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/

      • Andy Hewat
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8 3:45 PM
          Thanks Steve for the reassuring words. About to book
          my international flights so although I am maintaining
          confidence, positive messages like that really help.

          Only 9 weeks to go!
          Andy in Oz

          --- Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...> wrote:

          > Written in the latest Silverton Standard are the
          > words below written by
          > Freddie Canfield, which gives me some hope!
          >
          > "Warming weather has blessed our realm in recent
          > days. April ended with a
          > high one degree shy of 60. We have not been
          > disappointed with the beginning
          > of May. Lows have been edging gradually higher, into
          > the teens and 20's now
          > for over three weeks.
          > Even with one day's high below freezing and another
          > day barely above,
          > overall we continue to thaw out.
          > Four days bettered 50 and on Monday we actually
          > reached 60.8 and Tuesday
          > 60.9. Also, winds decreased on Sunday and have only
          > occasionally been brisk
          > on the days since.
          > Wildlife reports of both great and small species
          > continue. Three of my good
          > friends encountered an equal number of elk while
          > high altitude rock
          > scrambling. If any of you have stories of other
          > non-migrating elk surviving
          > the winter, please share with me.
          > A very small species that requires our immediate
          > assistance has returned.
          > Hummingbirds are back, so get out your feeders!
          > Last week, I sensed a change in the way the air
          > smells. This week, I can
          > clearly detect a quality of sweetness. May sweetness
          > find a place in all
          > aspects of our lives."
          >
          > see you all in June!
          > Steve
          > --
          > http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/

          > removed]

          www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail
        • Steve Pero
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8 4:02 PM
            Well, Andy....if you've waited this long, best to wait until after the
            committee meets on May 18th. Deb's flight is already booked, but we'll
            be coming out regardless of whether there's a run or not.

            Hope to see you in a couple of months!
            Steve

            --
            http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/