Re: New Hardrock lottery algorithm for 2009

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
      OK, thanks for solidifying my plans.

      1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 - finished Hardrock.
      2005 - quit for stupid reasons (what do I need another poster for?)
      2006 - vowed not to be stupid (taper included 2 marathons in last 2 weeks) and
      missed finish cutoff by 6 minutes.
      2007 - improved taper (only one marathon) and missed finish by 28 seconds.

      Plans for 2008 to knock 29 seconds off my time:

      - Increase training from 20 miles per week to 20.01.
      - Increase altitude where I sleep in Florida by 5% by putting blocks under my
      bed.
      - Train more on the biggest hills I can find by running over fire ant mounds
      (also to include speedwork).
      - Trim my toenails before the race to save weight on my feet. (Have already
      eliminated socks).

      --- "Blake P. Wood" <bwood@...> wrote:

      > After much discussion, the Hardrock Hundred Board has decided to tweak our
      > weighted lottery algorithm for the 2009 run. Our algorithm had been
      > unchanged over the previous four years. We're putting out the word now so
      > potential entrants can take it into account in their planning.
      >
      > Entry lotteries are a bit like taxes - they are a necessary evil, they
      > should be simple to understand, they favor some over others but are best
      > when they are generally perceived as "fair", and they can be used to
      > encourage people to alter their behavior.
      >
      > The new and old algorithms are explained in detail at
      > http://www.run100s.com/HR/Selection_procedure_2009.html, but here are the
      > major features:
      >

      > - Before, you were automatically accepted if you had three Hardrock finishes
      > in the previous five years. Now, you are automatically accepted if you have
      > five Hardrock finishes EVER.
      >
      > - The male and female winners from the previous year are automatically
      > accepted.
      >

      > Ticket assignment for the weighted lottery:
      >
      > - Before, you got four tickets for two finishes and two tickets for one
      > finish in the previous five years. Now, you get one ticket for each finish
      > EVER.
      >
      > - Before, you got one ticket for each DNF or DNS (including being wait
      > listed) in the previous three years, up to a maximum of two tickets. Now,
      > you get a maximum of one ticket if you were a DNS (including being wait
      > listed) in the previous three years. NO additional tickets are given for
      > DNFs.
      >
      > - Top-5 male and top-5 female finishers in the previous year still get one
      > additional ticket (no change).
      >
      > - Up to two tickets may still be earned for special service, such as working
      > on the June trail construction weekend or being an aid station captain (no
      > change).
      >

      > A major driver for these changes was our desire to improve the chances of
      > getting in for first-time entrants. We think these changes will improve
      > those chances from about one-in-six to about one-in-four. We think these
      > changes also improve the chances for previously wait listed runners.
      >

      > - Blake
      >
      > Blake P. Wood, Ph.D.
      > Air Force System 1 Team
      > Design 2 Group, X-4, MS-T085
      > Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos NM 87545
      > office/STE: (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-1231 bwood@...

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
    • Lois MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
        Good one, Matt! You better trim those toenails as you may need snowshoes this year. It snowed all day yesterday, but today is clear and warm. A bridge was closed near Durango yesterday due to the high run off, so really, unless we get more snow and cloudy days our 200 plus inches of snow should be melted by July 11, 2008.

        Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote: OK, thanks for solidifying my plans.

        --- "Blake P. Wood" <bwood@...> wrote:

        > After much discussion, the Hardrock Hundred Board has decided to tweak our
        > weighted lottery algorithm for the 2009 run. Our algorithm had been
        > unchanged over the previous four years. We're putting out the word now so
        > potential entrants can take it into account in their planning.
        >
        > Entry lotteries are a bit like taxes - they are a necessary evil, they
        > should be simple to understand, they favor some over others but are best
        > when they are generally perceived as "fair", and they can be used to
        > encourage people to alter their behavior.
        >
        > The new and old algorithms are explained in detail at
        > http://www.run100s.com/HR/Selection_procedure_2009.html, but here are the
        > major features:
        >

        > - Before, you were automatically accepted if you had three Hardrock finishes
        > in the previous five years. Now, you are automatically accepted if you have
        > five Hardrock finishes EVER.
        >
        > - The male and female winners from the previous year are automatically
        > accepted.
        >

        > Ticket assignment for the weighted lottery:
        >
        > - Before, you got four tickets for two finishes and two tickets for one
        > finish in the previous five years. Now, you get one ticket for each finish
        > EVER.
        >
        > - Before, you got one ticket for each DNF or DNS (including being wait
        > listed) in the previous three years, up to a maximum of two tickets. Now,
        > you get a maximum of one ticket if you were a DNS (including being wait
        > listed) in the previous three years. NO additional tickets are given for
        > DNFs.
        >
        > - Top-5 male and top-5 female finishers in the previous year still get one
        > additional ticket (no change).
        >
        > - Up to two tickets may still be earned for special service, such as working
        > on the June trail construction weekend or being an aid station captain (no
        > change).
        >

        > A major driver for these changes was our desire to improve the chances of
        > getting in for first-time entrants. We think these changes will improve
        > those chances from about one-in-six to about one-in-four. We think these
        > changes also improve the chances for previously wait listed runners.
        >

        > - Blake
        >
        > Blake P. Wood, Ph.D.
        > Air Force System 1 Team
        > Design 2 Group, X-4, MS-T085
        > Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos NM 87545
        > office/STE: (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-1231 bwood@...

        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

        Keep in Touch,
        LMac

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
          Steve,
          I do hope and pray that all went well with Deb's surgery and she is recovering comfortably.

          Chris

          From: Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...>

          Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:22:20
          To:hr100@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [hr100] Re: New Hardrock lottery algorithm for 2009

          As a long time member of the Hardrock family, I would like to applaud
          the latest lottery algorithm that the committee has come up with. Now
          the best ultra trail race in the country, has possibly the fairest
          lottery of them all. Yeah, I lose all my dnf points, but i get back my
          finish points ;-)
          This will be even more bait to get us to the finish line this year!

          On another note, I'd like to mention that our former and present artist
          and favorite grammy, my wife Deb, slipped on some ice and fell while
          running a couple of days ago and broke her arm, breaking the end of the
          radius bone off. She is having surgery to repair it today, so keep her
          in your thoughts around 1PM EST...good thing about this is she was told
          by the doc that she should be able to start running again in a couple of
          weeks. Another good thing is she broke her right arm and she's a lefty,
          so the painting will continue!

          See you all in July! My favorite time of year in my favorite place ever,
          Silverton!
          Steve

          PS: Let's hope the snow stops falling and starts to melt!

        • JeffO93y
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
            I recently had a coworker slip on ice and shatter her wrist. Unlike my ankle that they screwed together 25 years ago, they wrapped thin metal around the splinters of bone. She was use it (very slowly and carefully) a couple of days later!
            I hope Deb faired as well. It's amazing how they've figured out how to slap us back together again.

            JeffO