Best place to fly into

  • Andy Hewat
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
      I'm flying in from Australia about 3 weeks before
      Hardrock. I'm trying to decide on the best route (and
      considering costs of course). Would anyone like to
      comment on whether I should just fly straight to
      Denver (via LA or San Fran) and hire a car or is it
      worth while trying to get a flight into Duarango,
      where hire car options will be limited I expect?

      On another note as I sit here sweltering in 104* heat
      hoping the snow is melting over your way: at last
      weekends Six Foot Track trail race
      (http://www.sixfoot.com/index.php) I met John and
      Vivian Ferguson from Ouray. In a post race crowd of
      800 excited runners someone mentions Hardrock and I
      hear them from 100 yards away! Apparently John
      regularly paces John DeWalt at Hardrock.
      Coincidentally, I was with a mate who was over and
      watched Hardrock last year and had bumped into John
      out running on the trail prior to race day. Small
      trail running world.

      Thanks.

      www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail
    • Twiggsc
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
        Hi, Andy!

        I assume by "hire a car" you mean what we would call renting. That being the case, I would look into Durango or Montrose as your destination. I've rented cars in both places without difficulty, and they will save you a seriously long drive after your ridiculously long flight.

        John mentioned you in his race report (copied below). When you get out to Colorado, let us know and John and I will take you out for some runs, though it sounds like you already know the area.

        Chris

        In case anyone is unfamiliar with John Ferguson: John has run a marathon in every state and is working on the continents. He always picks the toughest marathon he can find wherever he goes, though he did make NYC his 50th state marathon. John's a tough, fast dude, but he's not into ultrarunning, unless you count pacing. John has coordinated the pacing for John DeWalt for many years. He lives in Austin most of the year, but he also has a place in Ouray where he kicks my Floridian rear end up and down the mountains for a month or so before HR each year.

        Here's his most recent race report:

        It is billed as Australia's toughest marathon...I am know a believer. I was confident in my training but at the 5K mark my woeful lack of preparation was apparent. At the start there is a mad dash on a dirt road for 200 meters until you arrive at the steps. 800 STEEP, WET, SLIPPERY STEPS. Everyone goes down single file in a hurried fashion. Then it becomes single track going steeply down until around 5K. My quads were shot already. It rolled sightly on dirt roads, through meadows,going over stiles to get over fences, thru numerous small streams for the next 10K. at 15.5K we went through a waist deep river with rope. At this point the climbs began. the next 15K had two major climbs and one serious descent. The switchback road reminded me of Kendal Mt in Silverton but with no altitude. For Austin folks, think Mt Bonnell road. At 30K it leveled off and gently rolled on a rock strewn road. The killer was the last 2K where it was a steep rocky single track decent to the finish. My quads have never taken such a beating. My finish time was 5:59:24. It was the first time in 58 marathons I had doubts during the race about finishing. The Blue Mountains where the event took place is a beautiful place. Vivian and I have seen numerous kangaroos, wombats, wallabies, and other assorted creatures. The finish line was at the Jenolan Caves, an incredible place. It has been a great experience. We have been in Cairns, and are now in Melbourne. At the finish line I met a guy I met last summer in Ouray while running on the Ice Park trail. He was there to pace another Aussie. Small world.
        On to Antartica!

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2008
          Thanks Chris and all the others that have responded.
          Lots of helpful advice to help get me there in one
          piece (this time!). And yes, our hire car is your
          rental. Except all your rentals have the steering
          wheel on the wrong side.

          Cheers, Andy

          www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail
        • Lois MacKenzie