Los Alamos

  • Herr, Dennis B.
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2000
      I've been wondering about John, Charlie and Blake
      in Los Alamos. I hope you're all ok. If you get a
      chance, could you check in and let us know?

      Concerned
      Dennis
    • RLAFORME@LA-TIERRA.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2000
        Hi All
        '
        According to the damage list and video and personal reports : Charlie's,
        Aaron's,Dave Scudder's, Kris Kern's, Blake Wood's, Richard Hughes' , John
        Cappis's houses are all intact. Don't know about Bob Reedy and several
        other ultra runners.

        Very sadly the home of veteran ultra runner Dick Opsahl and his wife Judy
        was one of the first to go. Dick and Judy are keeping busy as the " night
        watchmen" at the shelter for evacuees in Pojoaque. I will go talk to them
        this morning to see if there is anything we can do to help.

        Steve Patillo lives apprx 20 to 30 M WSW of Los Alamos and his home is
        perfectly safe for now,as are we, so far , although the smoke has been
        terrible until the wind shift today.The wind is supposed to shift towards
        the north today and then back towards th NE on Sun, ( towards me ).The
        temps today have been cooler and the winds calmer, with more of the same
        expected. We are breathing smoke again and objects just feet away are
        hazy.The labs continue to reassure us that there is no radiation
        contamination.

        The fire is now listed at 33,000 acres. It is spreading east to within 4to5
        M( or 3 M, depending on which source you believe) of White Rock on the East
        and past Puye into the Santa Clara Canyon on the North. They say no new
        structures burning in LA or the labs.

        My daughters house is right at the mouth of Santa Clara canyon ( confluence
        W/ the Rio Grande ), but she lives on the "good side of the street" ( that
        is what saved Charlies house ). I really don't expect the fire to come down
        so far, it would take a totally un anticipated change in the winds to cause
        that, We are not really very worried, but our beautiful forrests and the
        trails we train on are being progressively destroyed. It is very hard to
        take, but fire is a natural process and they will eventually become renewed
        ( not sure how different the new vegetation will be )