Re: Hardrock 100 report

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17 8:50 PM
      I want to thank everyone who replied to my Hardrock race report (now posted to
      http://www.mattmahoney.net/07hardrock.txt ). I have never had so many
      40. I don't know what to write to everyone that emailed me privately.

      laz is right. You have to draw a line. Races can be won or lost by hundredth
      of a second. Otherwise, what's the point?

      There are lots of places I probably could have made up 28 seconds. Perhaps
      one more day of altitude acclimation, or if I had done a little more hill
      training on highway overpasses in Florida, or if I had not run a marathon 6
      days earlier, or had used a crew, pacer, or drop bags. But so what? I would
      end up with another symbolic artifact to be put away on a shelf, and probably
      a much less interesting race report. Everyone knows what I did. Missing a
      finish cutoff doesn't have real consequences, such as if I had been 28 seconds
      late for my flight home today.

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
    • james varner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18 11:00 AM
        great attitude matt!!!! and i too liked your report.
        james

        Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote: I want to thank everyone who replied to my Hardrock race report (now posted to
        http://www.mattmahoney.net/07hardrock.txt ). I have never had so many
        40. I don't know what to write to everyone that emailed me privately.

        laz is right. You have to draw a line. Races can be won or lost by hundredth
        of a second. Otherwise, what's the point?

        There are lots of places I probably could have made up 28 seconds. Perhaps
        one more day of altitude acclimation, or if I had done a little more hill
        training on highway overpasses in Florida, or if I had not run a marathon 6
        days earlier, or had used a crew, pacer, or drop bags. But so what? I would
        end up with another symbolic artifact to be put away on a shelf, and probably
        a much less interesting race report. Everyone knows what I did. Missing a
        finish cutoff doesn't have real consequences, such as if I had been 28 seconds
        late for my flight home today.

      • Blake P. Wood
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19 11:52 AM
          Someone picked up my wife's heavy black fleece jacket in Telluride while she was waiting for me to come in. I think she had tossed it onto a chair once it warmed up. I figure someone probably wrapped a cold runner in it, and it got mingled with their stuff by accident.

          If you picked it up by mistake, could you let me know?

          Thanks!

          - Blake