Hardrock Course Conditions

  • Rodger Wrublik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2007
      Jimmy and I have been out on the course quite a bit the last couple of weeks
      and thought that some of you may want to know what it looks like this year.
      We've also been getting some phone calls asking us to let the group know
      what we've seen.

      We haven't been over the entire course but this is what we've seen so far.

      From Silverton to Cunningham is now completely open. The cornice near the
      saddle of Little Giant has just recently melted enough to make it though
      there without any problems.

      From Cunningham to Maggie is probably open all of the way through now. Two
      weeks ago we made it all of the way to Buffalo Boy Mine and ended up having
      to turn back because of a huge cornice we didn't feel comfortable going
      over. There were also some very large snow fields to traverse right before
      Stony Pass as well, which we used snow shoes to get through.

      From Maggie to Sherman it's completely open with only a few snow fields to
      go over.

      The road from Sherman to Burrows Park is open.

      From Burrows Park to Grouse Gulch, there's still a lot of snow. We did this
      a couple of days ago (actually from Maggie to Grouse) and we ran into some
      huge snow fields about 1000 feet below the summit of Handies (going up
      Grizzly Gulch). We didn't have crampons, so had to do some rock climbing to
      get to the summit. From the summit we were shocked at how much snow (which
      was actually ice because of how late we got there) was still in American
      Basin. As I mentioned, we didn't have crampons, so had a hard time climbing
      back out of the basin. For right now, going through here without snow shoes
      and crampons would be really difficult.

      From Grouse Gulch to the top of Engineers is open. From the top of Engineers
      down to Ouray looks to be open but we haven't actually done it yet.

      We haven't yet done from Ouray to Chapman.

      From Chapman to KT is open with some snow fields to navigate right after you
      get over Grant Swamp.

      From KT to Silverton, there is still a lot of snow at the top of the
      Porcupine-Cataract Saddle, as well as in Cataract Basin. There's also a lot
      of snow once you get back down to tree line, just after where the Puttman
      aid station is usually located. This section through the trees is really
      hard to follow because of all the snow. Once out of the trees and onto the
      Bear Creek trail, it's open all of the way into Silverton. I carried snow
      shoes with me through this section but never had to use them because of how
      firm the snow was.

      We put a rope across Mineral Creek and South Mineral Creek because of how
      swift the current was, especially late in the day. There are quite a few
      trees down between KT and Silverton but we plan on having those cut before
      trail marking starts (provided we get permission to do so).

      Rodger & Jimmy Wrublik

      Silverton, Colorado
    • Deb's Gmail
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2007
        Wow, you guys get around!
        this is really helpful information, and thanks for sharing it with the
        group.
        deb

        Rodger Wrublik wrote:

> [...]
        > Porcupine-Cataract Saddle, as well as in Cataract Basin. There's also
        > a lot
        > of snow once you get back down to tree line, just after where the Puttman
        > aid station is usually located. This section through the trees is really
        > hard to follow because of all the snow. Once out of the trees and onto the
        > Bear Creek trail, it's open all of the way into Silverton. I carried snow
        > shoes with me through this section but never had to use them because
        > of how
        > firm the snow was.
        >
        > We put a rope across Mineral Creek and South Mineral Creek because of how
        > swift the current was, especially late in the day. There are quite a few
        > trees down between KT and Silverton but we plan on having those cut before
        > trail marking starts (provided we get permission to do so).

      • Rodger A Wrublik
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2009
          Fellow Hardrockers,

          It's Snowing in Silverton...again!

          If I didn't know better, I'd say it was still winter, not spring. We
          currently have snow falling, again, and it's absolutely beautiful!

          In the last week, I've been out three times and all three times, I've
          encountered a snow storm while hiking. Just yesterday, I went up Grant Swamp
          and if it wasn't for the fact that I brought crampons and an ice ax, I would
          have had to turn back. It was nothing but a sheet of ice from tree line, all
          the way to the top of the pass. On the other side of the pass, if I hadn't
          known where to look, I wouldn't have even known that Island Lake existed.
          There's still lots of snow out there but I'm sure it'll all be gone in a few
          weeks...that is, if it ever stops snowing! ;-)

          Little Giant still has a cornice at the top, but a group of three made it
          over just fine a few days ago.

          Green Mountain is easy to navigate all the way up to Buffalo Boy Ridge. As
          usual, there's still a cornice on the ridge, but not a problem to get around

          Cinnamon Pass is open

          Handies looks really good but you still need snowshoes or crampons going
          through American Basin, depending on the temperature

          Engineers is good all of the way to the top and down into Oauray

          I've been told that Camp Bird road is good all of the way up to Governors
          Basin but there's still a ton of snow on Virginius

          Looking up at Oscars, there's still a lot of snow on the upper switchbacks

          As I mentioned earlier, Grant Swamp still has a lot of snow and ice but it
          doesn't seem to be very deep

          I haven't been over Putman, yet, but Jamil and I will be doing that soon and
          while we're at it, will put a rope across Mineral Creek.

          Rodger

          Silverton, Colorado