Re: [hr100] training

    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 3:28 PM
      --- christopher ernst <chrisernst@...> wrote:
      > I tried
      > this thing last year and quit in Ouray having made
      > it there by about 8:30
      > p.m. (feet problems) I still haven't seen what will
      > be the first 25 miles
      > of this years course and I am particularly
      > interested in seeing that ground.

      I'd like to hike it again. In '98 I hiked it a week
      before the race and thought I knew it, but things look
      different on the second night, and I got lost several
      times. I was barely on pace to finish, until I spent
      3 hours wandering the top of Putnam and finished in
      51:38.

      I think the diretion we are going this year is harder,
      since most of the better sections are uphill. Last
      year I finished in 42:39, but that might be because I
      had 4 weeks of acclimation (2 weeks at 4000-8000 ft,
      then 2 weeks at 10,000 with daily hikes to 14,000).
      The year before I think my problem was doing Western
      States 2 weeks before the race, so only getting about
      10 days above 9000 ft.

      =====

      http://im.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3 4:13 PM
        --- Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:
        > --- christopher ernst <chrisernst@...> wrote:
        > > I still haven't seen what will
        > > be the first 25 miles
        > > of this years course and I am particularly
        > > interested in seeing that ground.

        Oh, FIRST 25 miles. Don't worry, it will be light and
        lots of other runners around so you can't get lost.
        First 3 miles are mud, then 2 big climbs to Cunningham
        and Maggie, then mostly flat and wet until the trail
        down to Sherman. You're better off training on the
        harder and nighttime sections, Handies Peak to Grouse
        Gulch, Engineer to Ouray, Virginius Pass, and
        ESPECIALLY Chapman to the finish.

        =====

        http://im.yahoo.com/