Re: [hr100] River crossings

  • bill losey
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 22, 2007
      I would suggest that when you get to any river crossing, you wait for the runner behind you, then politely ask he/she to hurl you across. Would this be considered muling? If they question your motives or request, ask them this question. What would a true Hardrocker do in this situation? That would be a good blog or story well worth reading. "How I finished the Hardrock 100 with dry feet" I am sure that the Troubadour would be glad to add commentary.
      tongue in cheek of course.
      Enjoy the mountains they are awesome. Embrace Silverton cuz it is a great town. Don't spend much time worrying about the details. Suffering is just a part of this run. Spend more time enjoying the ride.

      Best of luck and congrats on your up and coming finish.

      Bill
      sure would love some pics of runners hurling each other over stream crossings.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 22, 2007
        well, easy enough to get photos of runners hurling... but not sure about the
        river part!

        On 3/22/07, bill losey <ultra100@...> wrote:

        > I would suggest that when you get to any river crossing, you wait for
        > the runner behind you, then politely ask he/she to hurl you across. Would
        > this be considered muling? If they question your motives or request, ask
        > them this question. What would a true Hardrocker do in this situation? That
        > would be a good blog or story well worth reading. "How I finished the
        > Hardrock 100 with dry feet" I am sure that the Troubadour would be glad to
        > add commentary.
        > tongue in cheek of course.
        > Enjoy the mountains they are awesome. Embrace Silverton cuz it is a great
        > town. Don't spend much time worrying about the details. Suffering is just a
        > part of this run. Spend more time enjoying the ride.
        >
        > Best of luck and congrats on your up and coming finish.
        >
        > Bill
        > sure would love some pics of runners hurling each other over stream
        > crossings.

      • Rodger Wrublik
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 22, 2007
          No doubt, this must be just about the most post that we’ve ever seen on this list. Thanks for keeping us so informed and entertained Deb!

          Also, a public thank you for helping us out at the Wyman Hotel. Deb, Tucker (who Deb now says is the official lobby dog) and Steve (who comes up on the conjugal weekends) have been so kind in helping us out the last week and a half. Having Deb at the hotel has allowed my wife and I to break away to spend some time with family here in Arizona. As any of you that have ever been to Hardrock know…Deb is an unbelievable host! We’re afraid that the guests may not want us back. ☺ Thanks SO much Deb!

          To keep this Hardrock related…the use of the Wyman Caboose (complete with Jacuzzi) is going to be donated to the last finisher at Hardrock this year.

          Rodger & Tana Wrublik

          www.thewyman.com

          well, easy enough to get photos of runners hurling... but not sure about the
          river part!

          .
        • Deb Pero
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 22, 2007
            Well this is great news... I can go even SLOWER than usual (if that's even
            possible) and be rewarded for it!
            Or could it be a little race strategy?
            Rodger, are you just holding out this carrot so everyone will want to stay
            behind you?
            deb
            here in snowy Silverton

            On 3/22/07, Rodger Wrublik <nardinimanor@...> wrote:

            > No doubt, this must be just about the most post that we've ever seen on
            > this list. Thanks for keeping us so informed and entertained Deb!
            >
            > Also, a public thank you for helping us out at the Wyman Hotel. Deb,
            > Tucker (who Deb now says is the official lobby dog) and Steve (who comes up
            > on the conjugal weekends) have been so kind in helping us out the last week
            > and a half. Having Deb at the hotel has allowed my wife and I to break away
            > to spend some time with family here in Arizona. As any of you that have ever
            > been to Hardrock know…Deb is an unbelievable host! We're afraid that the
            > guests may not want us back. ☺ Thanks SO much Deb!
            >
            > To keep this Hardrock related…the use of the Wyman Caboose (complete with
            > Jacuzzi) is going to be donated to the last finisher at Hardrock this year.
            >
            > Rodger & Tana Wrublik
            >
            > www.thewyman.com

          • TheTroubadour
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 22, 2007
              Wowie-Zowie y'all!!!!!

              We're having communal intercourse!!!!!!!

              - -
              00

              I'm so excited. I *just this minute* concluded MAJOR telephony surgery. I'm like totally dumping my present-and-completely-incompetent McLeodUSA outfit. I am now considered a "win-back" (wet-back? river deep and mountain high?) to AT&T. Yay me!

              But... the actual change of all my e-addys won't take place till after Barkley. Which is... whoa... yet another place near and dear to Blake Wood's heart and just chock full of RAGING RIVER CROSSINGS, eh? Although not so much now with the all-new chills and terrors provided by the goody-1-1/2-shoes environmentalists' newly mangled course. Here's a question I have for them: Just which exactly extensive patches of thorns and sawbriars are you wanting to conserve?

              Here's a similar question once asked of the BLM, USFS, and other reigning authorities that demanded course changes at Hardrock: So, like, how exactly can you tell whether it's a relatively small group of humans once a year trampling down some of your rare exotic alpine flora--and not the ten thousand stampeding elk herds that thunder over all that precious scenery every single DAY???

              Question for everybody else: Hey, just who are we preserving all this for if NOBODY EVER gets to see it???

              Is there now, or has there ever been, a more conscientious group of conservationists than us Hardrock 100 runners?

              I dare y'all: just try once to drop a MoJo Bar wrapper on the ground during a trailmarking lunch break. The entire rest of the crew will KILL YOU on the spot if you don't "pack it out" properly.

              Wow. Have you noticed how I'm rambling? I must be excited, maybe orgasmic. I'm getting a whole new lease on life today. Plus--This Just In--a brand-new Caboose Prize is being offered for finishing in last place!!! Gosh. Now I guess I'll have to try to get in next year!

              Lastly, these quick comments:

              Thanks to my heroine Jennifer, we now know the name of that RAGING TORRENT by Sherman: Cottonwood Creek. But in case you didn't pick up on it, we were just kidding about it being a "raging torrent." It was actually pretty easy to choose wading though that as opposed to "tight-roping" the log. One slip off that slimy sucker and you were HURT. Big time!

              Thanks to my (also Barkley) buddy Bill Losey who wrote...

              "What would a true Hardrocker do in this situation? That would be a good blog or story well worth reading. 'How I finished the Hardrock 100 with dry feet' I am sure that the Troubadour would be glad to add commentary, tongue in cheek of course."

              ...and who now gives me fresh opportunity to drive y'all nuts.

              For example:

              HOW I FINISHED THE HARDROCK 100 WITH DRY FEET

              by Yours Troubly

              Here is precisely how: Even though Mineral Creek is, what, only about a mile or so from the finish in the CCW direction, I was moving soooooooooooo agonizingly slowly by that time that it must've taken probably three hours--in that dry mountain air--to get to the gym. By that time, the only thing wet on me were tear ducts.

              But this reminds me of a story I can't resist yakkin' atcha. Once when I was doin' trail work for Charlie to qualify my ass for the Wasatch Front 100 later that summer, I had to cross Mineral Creek BEFORE the rope was strung. And, trust me, with 100,000 gpm melting snow runoff, that Mineral really was a RAGING RIVER! So, best thing I could think of was using my shovel to act as a cane for support as I inched my way across. Talk about "hurling"!!! That raging torrent swept that shovel out from under me at 80 miles per hour and drove the sucker a half-mile downstream! Now... let's talk about millimetering my way across! Well, to make a long tedious story only slightly less longer than I'd otherwise like to treat Bill with, it took me all morning just to get all of me plus shovel across that damn creek! Which, uh, now accounts for why I didn't get much trail work done that day.

              But Charlie signed my form and Wasatch let me in anyway. And, BTW, there's not a lot of stream crossings at Wasatch, which is why you'll wanna get your fill at Hardrock.

              To quote my buddy Bill again: "Suffering is just a part of this run. Spend more time enjoying the ride." [Which if you're as lucky as I was last year, Rodger Wrublik will give ya--in the front seat of his Jeep! :-]

              Your troubly,
              The TroubleDoer

              PS: Deb Pero is THE BEST "lobby beautification renovation" that I have ever EVER seen inside the Wyman. You cannot believe the improvement over what used to sit there!!!!
              ;-)

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 22, 2007
                I should be bringing up the rear at Hardrock and will be happy to do my best
                to hurl any runners across any raging rivers. Or at least half way across...

                BTW I did finish (sort of) with dry socks last year. The secret was to leave
                them in my drawer in Florida.