[hr100] Re: Food at Hardrock

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
      --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
      > No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to
      > dummy-down the
      > course, where does it end

      And while we're at it, lets get rid of the ropes at
      the river crossings and Virginius Pass. And lets get
      rid of the course markings. You should be able to
      read a map. And no crews, pacers, or drop bags
      allowed. And no aid stations. Lets make this a REAL
      race.

      Seriously, though, keep the race the way it is. If
      you don't want to balance on a slippery log 10 feet
      above the creek at Sherman, go through it like they
      made us do in 1998.

      =====
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Blake P. Wood
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
        Last year, I was too chicken to walk across this log (the one
        right out of the Sherman aid station), and shinnied across
        straddling it. The nubbins of branch were kind of hard on the
        butt, but much better than falling into a swift creek at 3 am.
        There IS a way to do it safely.

        - Blake

        Blake P. Wood
        Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
        Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
        (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
        http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

        At 09:11 AM 2/11/00 -0500, Dennis Herr wrote:
        No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to dummy-down the
        course, where does it end? What's next - a guardrail along
        Bear Creek, Ouray or helium ballons to make the climbs
        easier? Participants should rely more on their own ingenuity
        and less on the race organization to safely and successfully
        negotiate the challenges of the course.

        >A suggestion for this year's course: String up a handline
        for >that slimey one-log crossing of Cottonwood Creek at
        Cataract >Gulch (one line on each side would be even better) Two
        people >slipped off that log last year and took a dunking. That
        creek >runs swiftly and can be dangerous.
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
          --- "Blake P. Wood" <bwood@...> wrote:
          > Last year, I was too chicken to walk across this log
          > (the one
          > right out of the Sherman aid station), and shinnied
          > across
          > straddling it. The nubbins of branch were kind of
          > hard on the
          > butt, but much better than falling into a swift
          > creek at 3 am.
          > There IS a way to do it safely.

          Yes, if you slow down a bit you could do it in
          daylight.
          :-)

          =====
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Mitchell A. Rossman
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
            Now that sounds like my kind of race! No aid, no pacers, no markings. Just
            adventure!

            Mitch Rossman
            Minneapolis

            Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/11/2000 09:41:31 AM

            Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

            To: hr100@egroups.com
            cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)
            Subject: [hr100] Re: Food at Hardrock

            --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
            > No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to
            > dummy-down the
            > course, where does it end

            And while we're at it, lets get rid of the ropes at
            the river crossings and Virginius Pass. And lets get
            rid of the course markings. You should be able to
            read a map. And no crews, pacers, or drop bags
            allowed. And no aid stations. Lets make this a REAL
            race.

            Seriously, though, keep the race the way it is. If
            you don't want to balance on a slippery log 10 feet
            above the creek at Sherman, go through it like they
            made us do in 1998.

            =====

            eLerts!
            Save on products you choose.