Re: [hr100] River crossings

  • Jennifer Roach
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 21 2:52 PM
      Hey Rich

      That's Cottonwood Creek (the "raging torrent" you are referring to there)
      In 2000, I just looked at that big, slimy log and then slooshed across
      the raging waters of Cottonwood Creek.
      Jennifer Roach

      TheTroubadour wrote:

      > You guys are killin' me. There's also (now) a bridge over
      > whatever-raging-torrent-that-is which totally soaks your ingress and
      > egress to the Sherman Aid Station. In the CCW you hit it first, before
      > entering Sherman. And vividly do I recall when there WASN'T any bridge.
      >
      > There was this log. A rather fat, long, slippery, slimy, totally soggy
      > log. That log crossed the raging torrent (could it be considered a
      > river? mountain runoff? effluvial stream? Thor's Revenge?).
      >
      > Distinctly I remember the A/S volunteer on the Sherman side hollering
      > at me as I was about to cross:
      >
      > "Well, you can take the log or wade through the water. It's your choice."
      >
      > I go, "I think I'll wade the river. It's drier."
      >
      > Happy Humpday, group!
      >
      > Yurz troubly,
      > Humpday Dumpty
      >
      > PS: Actually what this is, is a convenient excuse to "test" my
      > connection. This ISP I'm currently cursed with [but that's changing]
      > has been doing me the ignominious "favor" of BLOCKING alla y'all's
      > Hardrock messages. It thinks you guys are Spam.
      >
      > (When, really, we all know different, don't we? Most Hardrockers are
      > more closely aligned with burnt toast. :-)

    • Michael Bur
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 21 4:49 PM
        In my 2 HR100 finishes(44.5 hrs and 42.5 hrs) I have
        used Ensure Plus almost exclusively( www.ensure.com ,
        NFI). When I first started using Ensure for 100s, I
        couldn't get my mind around how this seemingly modest
        amount of liquid was going to keep me feeling full and
        not feeling hungry, but somehow it does. I put them
        in my drop bags or w/ crew and drink it at the aid
        stations and take a bottle or two in my pack depending
        on how far to the next aid. I will also usually carry
        a hand full of trail mix and gummy bears or maybe a
        gel pack or two but anymore don't seem to need them.
        At the end, it is disgusting to think that I went
        through 18-20 bottles of Ensure Plus, but it gets the
        job done for me.

        Mike Bur
        Kensington, Maryland

        --- Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:

        > --- Deb Pero <mtnrunner02@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Okay, Matt, leave the nice man alone.... :-)
        > >
        > > what you have to understand, Markus, is that Matt
        > is a minimalist.. most of
        > > us prefer to carry a bit more with us.
        > > Next thing you'll know, he;ll have you running
        > without socks, carrying a
        > > $1.98 maglite as your only light, and taking only
        > one bottle to fill in
        > > streams!!!
        >
        > Well, it is true I always run without socks. Your
        > feet dry faster that way.
        > Also, the lighter the shoes, the better. And it is
        > true I had a $2 light at
        > Ancient Oaks but only because I forgot my LED light
        > that I used at Hardrock
        > and had to buy one on the way to the race.
        >
        > But if you eat a lot at the aid stations (and as you
        > walk out) there is no
        > need to eat in between. Of course you can take
        > extra food and I sometimes do
        > if it will be a long way to the next aid (like over
        > Handies). But I don't
        > always fill my bottles if I know a stream will come
        > up soon. Why carry the
        > extra weight?
        >

        > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
        in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
      • todds@vistaaccess.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 21 5:52 PM
          > The aid station food is good, and they'll have alot of choices for you...
          > soup, sandwiches, smoked brisket, mac/cheese, etc. etc.

          I missed the brisket last year. Not sure I want to know where it will be,
          as I will end up lingering there for who knows how long. But if I know,
          maybe it will keep me going. Do tell.

          Todd Salzer
        • Deb Pero
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 21 7:15 PM
            well, I know they had some at Grouse, and probably at Sherman, Ouray and
            Telluride as well.
            If we have Sammy cooking for us again this year, you can bet there'll be
            good food!

            On 3/21/07, todds@... <todds@...> wrote:

            > > The aid station food is good, and they'll have alot of choices for
            > you...
            > > soup, sandwiches, smoked brisket, mac/cheese, etc. etc.
            >
            > I missed the brisket last year. Not sure I want to know where it will be,
            > as I will end up lingering there for who knows how long. But if I know,
            > maybe it will keep me going. Do tell.
            >
            > Todd Salzer

          • bill losey
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 22 2:54 AM
              I would suggest that when you get to any river crossing, you wait for the runner behind you, then politely ask he/she to hurl you across. Would this be considered muling? If they question your motives or request, ask them this question. What would a true Hardrocker do in this situation? That would be a good blog or story well worth reading. "How I finished the Hardrock 100 with dry feet" I am sure that the Troubadour would be glad to add commentary.
              tongue in cheek of course.
              Enjoy the mountains they are awesome. Embrace Silverton cuz it is a great town. Don't spend much time worrying about the details. Suffering is just a part of this run. Spend more time enjoying the ride.

              Best of luck and congrats on your up and coming finish.

              Bill
              sure would love some pics of runners hurling each other over stream crossings.

              >oh, darn, I was going to tell him we all don wetsuits before the river
              >crossings...
              >
              >I do remember crossing the Uncompaghre one year, it was just shortly after
              >dark, and the water was chest deep on me.... I had my flashlight in my teeth
              >to keep it dry, and hanging on to the rope for dear life.
              >Very "refreshing". And I had just put on dry socks and shoes. (silly me).
              >

              >On 3/20/07, Blake Wood and Rebecca Clark <bpwrlc@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> But Mineral Creek could be up to your crotch, depending on the runoff
              >> status on race day. It was like that year before last. Nevertheless, not too
              >> difficult if you hang onto the rope.
              >>
              >> In this year's direction, you'll only be a couple miles from the finish
              >> when you cross Mineral Creek, so even if you fall and go completely under
              >> you won't be too bad off.
              >>
              >> - Blake
              >>
              >> At 11:12 AM 3/20/2007 -0700, you wrote:
              >>
              >> >The deepest rivers are about up to your knees. This would be S. Mineral
              >> creek and there is a rope across.
              >> >
              >> >-- Matt Mahoney, <mailto:matmahoney% <matmahoney%25>40yahoo.com>
              >> matmahoney@... <matmahoney%40yahoo.com>

            • Deb Pero
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 22 5:45 AM
                well, easy enough to get photos of runners hurling... but not sure about the
                river part!

                On 3/22/07, bill losey <ultra100@...> wrote:

                > I would suggest that when you get to any river crossing, you wait for
                > the runner behind you, then politely ask he/she to hurl you across. Would
                > this be considered muling? If they question your motives or request, ask
                > them this question. What would a true Hardrocker do in this situation? That
                > would be a good blog or story well worth reading. "How I finished the
                > Hardrock 100 with dry feet" I am sure that the Troubadour would be glad to
                > add commentary.
                > tongue in cheek of course.
                > Enjoy the mountains they are awesome. Embrace Silverton cuz it is a great
                > town. Don't spend much time worrying about the details. Suffering is just a
                > part of this run. Spend more time enjoying the ride.
                >
                > Best of luck and congrats on your up and coming finish.
                >
                > Bill
                > sure would love some pics of runners hurling each other over stream
                > crossings.

              • Rodger Wrublik
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 22 8:43 AM
                  No doubt, this must be just about the most post that we’ve ever seen on this list. Thanks for keeping us so informed and entertained Deb!

                  Also, a public thank you for helping us out at the Wyman Hotel. Deb, Tucker (who Deb now says is the official lobby dog) and Steve (who comes up on the conjugal weekends) have been so kind in helping us out the last week and a half. Having Deb at the hotel has allowed my wife and I to break away to spend some time with family here in Arizona. As any of you that have ever been to Hardrock know…Deb is an unbelievable host! We’re afraid that the guests may not want us back. ☺ Thanks SO much Deb!

                  To keep this Hardrock related…the use of the Wyman Caboose (complete with Jacuzzi) is going to be donated to the last finisher at Hardrock this year.

                  Rodger & Tana Wrublik

                  www.thewyman.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 22 9:03 AM
                    Well this is great news... I can go even SLOWER than usual (if that's even
                    possible) and be rewarded for it!
                    Or could it be a little race strategy?
                    Rodger, are you just holding out this carrot so everyone will want to stay
                    behind you?
                    deb
                    here in snowy Silverton

                    On 3/22/07, Rodger Wrublik <nardinimanor@...> wrote:

                    > No doubt, this must be just about the most post that we've ever seen on
                    > this list. Thanks for keeping us so informed and entertained Deb!
                    >
                    > Also, a public thank you for helping us out at the Wyman Hotel. Deb,
                    > Tucker (who Deb now says is the official lobby dog) and Steve (who comes up
                    > on the conjugal weekends) have been so kind in helping us out the last week
                    > and a half. Having Deb at the hotel has allowed my wife and I to break away
                    > to spend some time with family here in Arizona. As any of you that have ever
                    > been to Hardrock know…Deb is an unbelievable host! We're afraid that the
                    > guests may not want us back. ☺ Thanks SO much Deb!
                    >
                    > To keep this Hardrock related…the use of the Wyman Caboose (complete with
                    > Jacuzzi) is going to be donated to the last finisher at Hardrock this year.
                    >
                    > Rodger & Tana Wrublik
                    >
                    > www.thewyman.com

                  • TheTroubadour
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 22 11:05 AM
                      Wowie-Zowie y'all!!!!!

                      We're having communal intercourse!!!!!!!

                      - -
                      00

                      I'm so excited. I *just this minute* concluded MAJOR telephony surgery. I'm like totally dumping my present-and-completely-incompetent McLeodUSA outfit. I am now considered a "win-back" (wet-back? river deep and mountain high?) to AT&T. Yay me!

                      But... the actual change of all my e-addys won't take place till after Barkley. Which is... whoa... yet another place near and dear to Blake Wood's heart and just chock full of RAGING RIVER CROSSINGS, eh? Although not so much now with the all-new chills and terrors provided by the goody-1-1/2-shoes environmentalists' newly mangled course. Here's a question I have for them: Just which exactly extensive patches of thorns and sawbriars are you wanting to conserve?

                      Here's a similar question once asked of the BLM, USFS, and other reigning authorities that demanded course changes at Hardrock: So, like, how exactly can you tell whether it's a relatively small group of humans once a year trampling down some of your rare exotic alpine flora--and not the ten thousand stampeding elk herds that thunder over all that precious scenery every single DAY???

                      Question for everybody else: Hey, just who are we preserving all this for if NOBODY EVER gets to see it???

                      Is there now, or has there ever been, a more conscientious group of conservationists than us Hardrock 100 runners?

                      I dare y'all: just try once to drop a MoJo Bar wrapper on the ground during a trailmarking lunch break. The entire rest of the crew will KILL YOU on the spot if you don't "pack it out" properly.

                      Wow. Have you noticed how I'm rambling? I must be excited, maybe orgasmic. I'm getting a whole new lease on life today. Plus--This Just In--a brand-new Caboose Prize is being offered for finishing in last place!!! Gosh. Now I guess I'll have to try to get in next year!

                      Lastly, these quick comments:

                      Thanks to my heroine Jennifer, we now know the name of that RAGING TORRENT by Sherman: Cottonwood Creek. But in case you didn't pick up on it, we were just kidding about it being a "raging torrent." It was actually pretty easy to choose wading though that as opposed to "tight-roping" the log. One slip off that slimy sucker and you were HURT. Big time!

                      Thanks to my (also Barkley) buddy Bill Losey who wrote...

                      "What would a true Hardrocker do in this situation? That would be a good blog or story well worth reading. 'How I finished the Hardrock 100 with dry feet' I am sure that the Troubadour would be glad to add commentary, tongue in cheek of course."

                      ...and who now gives me fresh opportunity to drive y'all nuts.

                      For example:

                      HOW I FINISHED THE HARDROCK 100 WITH DRY FEET

                      by Yours Troubly

                      Here is precisely how: Even though Mineral Creek is, what, only about a mile or so from the finish in the CCW direction, I was moving soooooooooooo agonizingly slowly by that time that it must've taken probably three hours--in that dry mountain air--to get to the gym. By that time, the only thing wet on me were tear ducts.

                      But this reminds me of a story I can't resist yakkin' atcha. Once when I was doin' trail work for Charlie to qualify my ass for the Wasatch Front 100 later that summer, I had to cross Mineral Creek BEFORE the rope was strung. And, trust me, with 100,000 gpm melting snow runoff, that Mineral really was a RAGING RIVER! So, best thing I could think of was using my shovel to act as a cane for support as I inched my way across. Talk about "hurling"!!! That raging torrent swept that shovel out from under me at 80 miles per hour and drove the sucker a half-mile downstream! Now... let's talk about millimetering my way across! Well, to make a long tedious story only slightly less longer than I'd otherwise like to treat Bill with, it took me all morning just to get all of me plus shovel across that damn creek! Which, uh, now accounts for why I didn't get much trail work done that day.

                      But Charlie signed my form and Wasatch let me in anyway. And, BTW, there's not a lot of stream crossings at Wasatch, which is why you'll wanna get your fill at Hardrock.

                      To quote my buddy Bill again: "Suffering is just a part of this run. Spend more time enjoying the ride." [Which if you're as lucky as I was last year, Rodger Wrublik will give ya--in the front seat of his Jeep! :-]

                      Your troubly,
                      The TroubleDoer

                      PS: Deb Pero is THE BEST "lobby beautification renovation" that I have ever EVER seen inside the Wyman. You cannot believe the improvement over what used to sit there!!!!
                      ;-)

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 22 2:02 PM
                        I should be bringing up the rear at Hardrock and will be happy to do my best
                        to hurl any runners across any raging rivers. Or at least half way across...

                        BTW I did finish (sort of) with dry socks last year. The secret was to leave
                        them in my drawer in Florida.