Getting to Silverton

  • hewat.andy
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14 5:56 AM
      I'm booking flights from Oz to the US and then on to Silverton but was wondering if I
      could call on some more local knowledge. I am running Western States in the lead up
      to HR and am trying to figure out the best airports to get me from the Sierras to the
      San Juans? Any suggestions gratefully accepted?
      Thanks Andy
    • Deb Pero
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14 6:14 AM
        Andy,
        You can fly into either Denver airport or the Albuquerque, NM airport. Both
        are around a 5-6 hour drive from Silverton. I know there is a small shuttle
        from Albuquerque to Durango, Co, and then you'd have only an hour's drive
        to Silverton. There may be a similar short flight from Denver to Durango.
        If you are camping, or require groceries, or other similar supplies when you
        arrive in Silverton, know that there is only one small market here in town.
        While they do a good job, they are limited to basic foodstuffs, and are
        somewhat pricey, and you might be better off stopping on your way here in
        one of the larger towns, such as Durango, to pick up what you need once you
        are off the plane.

        On 3/14/07, hewat.andy <hewat.andy@...> wrote:

        > I'm booking flights from Oz to the US and then on to Silverton but was
        > wondering if I
        > could call on some more local knowledge. I am running Western States in
        > the lead up
        > to HR and am trying to figure out the best airports to get me from the
        > Sierras to the
        > San Juans? Any suggestions gratefully accepted?
        > Thanks Andy

      • Jennifer Roach
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14 2:15 PM
          Andy
          Reno, Nevada may be your best bet. Las Vegas is OK, too. There is a
          drive back into the sierra from both cities so it is a toss up.You could
          fly into LA and the drive is about 4 hours into the Sierras from there
          (at least) Plus, you have to deal with LA traffic which can be a tough one.

          Jennifer Roach

          Jennifer Roach

          hewat.andy wrote:

          > I'm booking flights from Oz to the US and then on to Silverton but was
          > wondering if I
          > could call on some more local knowledge. I am running Western States
          > in the lead up
          > to HR and am trying to figure out the best airports to get me from the
          > Sierras to the
          > San Juans? Any suggestions gratefully accepted?
          > Thanks Andy

        • Jennifer Roach
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14 2:27 PM
            oops Just reread your email and realized you want to go from California
            to Colorado. Deb's advice is good. Denver or Albq. are probably the
            cheapest places to fly into. You can also book a flight from Denver to
            Montrose, CO. I know someone who does it every month to go to his home
            in Ouray. Grand Junction might work, too.

            Jennifer

            Jennifer Roach wrote:

            > Andy
            > Reno, Nevada may be your best bet. Las Vegas is OK, too. There is a
            > drive back into the sierra from both cities so it is a toss up.You could
            > fly into LA and the drive is about 4 hours into the Sierras from there
            > (at least) Plus, you have to deal with LA traffic which can be a tough
            > one.
            >
            > Jennifer Roach
            >
            > Jennifer Roach
            >
            > hewat.andy wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm booking flights from Oz to the US and then on to Silverton but was
            > > wondering if I
            > > could call on some more local knowledge. I am running Western States
            > > in the lead up
            > > to HR and am trying to figure out the best airports to get me from the
            > > Sierras to the
            > > San Juans? Any suggestions gratefully accepted?
            > > Thanks Andy

            > 3/14/2007 3:38 PM

          • johncappis
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17 1:35 PM
              Andy

              You might want to check America West schedules. They used to have a
              flight from Reno to Phoenix and they have a flight from Phoenix to
              Telluride. (About an hour and a half by highway from Silverton.)

              Other air ports closer to Silverton than either Albuquerque or Dever
              ae Montrose and Durango. A little expensive but more like an hour
              drive to Silverton.

              John