Re: [hr100] Pre race hiking/camping information please

  • Deb Pero
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
      Hi Andy,
      congrats on getting into the run!! It's an amazing experience for sure.
      You'll probably get lots of advice here, but here are a couple of
      things to get you started:
      Camping:
      There is free camping on the BLM land all around Silverton. Some areas
      where folks camp frequently are near the river on the way to Mineral
      Creek Campground (another place to camp which has pit toilets and
      reserved (paid) campsites), and a little further out of town on Molas
      Pass. But just about anywhere on the public land is okay to pitch your tent.
      Hiking:
      One thing that many folks do is hike sections of the course after it has
      been marked. These sections are usually about 8-13 miles in length, and
      are a good way to both preview the course and acclimate. Course marking
      takes place two weeks prior to the run, and you could probably find some
      other folks in town to go with, as there are lots of runners going out.
      That's true of other hikes in the area as well.
      You could also plan on hiking some of the 14'ers in the general
      vicinity. Get Gerry Roach's book
      _Colorado Fourteeners_ for detailed descriptions of each peak, routes,
      maps to get there, etc. Some easier hikes (in terms of getting to
      trailheads, and the trail itself) would be around Leadville, Co. -
      Elbert, Massive, Yale, Sherman, and others. While you're near Leadville
      camp at HalfMoon campground for easy access to many of these peaks or
      treat yourself to a stay at the Leadville Hostel. Some 14'ers closer to
      Silverton (but still a drive) would be Sunshine, Redcloud, and Handies
      (part of the race). Also, there are hikes right out of town... many
      folks simply walk up the jeep road to the top of Kendall mountain,(a
      13'er) and there are also some worthy hikes up Sultan, Storm and Anvil
      right from town. These are all ways for you to get some altitude. If
      you can rent a 4WD jeep or other off road vehicle, it increases your
      ability to get to some of the trailheads.
      The Silverton Visitor Center might have info on other camping/hiking
      options, and will probably also have maps of the area, or these can be
      purchased in town.
      Good luck with your training, and we'll look forward to being
      entertained by your Austrailian accent when you arrive in town!

      deb pero

      Andy Hewat wrote:

      > Hi, I'm coming from Australia (sea level) to do HR and
      > plan to arrive about three weeks early to hike as much
      > of the course as possible. While I can find heaps
      > about the actual race, I'm looking for any information
      > about hiking and camping in the area as part of my
      > acclimatization and familiarization. Can anyone point
      > me in the right direction?
      > Cheers, Andy.

      > It's here! Your new message!
      > <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>

    • Jennifer Roach
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
        Andy,

        Consider purchasing the dvd of the Hardrock course called "Hardrock 100
        CCW Show." It was compiled and produced by john Cappis. It is a huge
        compilation of photos taken by four individuals who know the course
        extremely well. It is shown in the direction of the 2007 HRH so it would
        be something you can do in the comfort of your own living room. The dvd
        is set to some classical music and is very enjoyable as a preparation
        tool or a souvenir. I believe i purchased mine through Running Delights,
        so check that website (www.runningdelights.com) or does anyone know how
        Andy can get a copy??

        Cheers,
        Jennifer Roach

        Andy Hewat wrote:

        > Hi, I'm coming from Australia (sea level) to do HR and
        > plan to arrive about three weeks early to hike as much
        > of the course as possible. While I can find heaps
        > about the actual race, I'm looking for any information
        > about hiking and camping in the area as part of my
        > acclimatization and familiarization. Can anyone point
        > me in the right direction?
        > Cheers, Andy.

        > It's here! Your new message!
        > <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>

      • Andy Hewat
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2007
          Wow Deb, thanks for your rapid and lengthy response.
          I'm working on getting the guide book and a map of the
          trails in the area. Looks like there are plenty of
          options. Obviously I hope to see as much of the course
          as I can to help with navigation on race day. And just
          spend as much time at altitude as I can.
          Thanks again, and look forward to catching up when I
          get over there.
          Cheers, Andrew

          Get your own web address.
        • Andy Hewat
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2007
            Oh, and I'm ordering a copy of the DVD off the
            runningdelights web site. Thanks, Andy

            --- Jennifer Roach <jrhigh@...> wrote:

            > Andy,
            >
            > Consider purchasing the dvd of the Hardrock course
            > called "Hardrock 100
            > CCW Show." It was compiled and produced by john
            > Cappis. It is a huge
            > compilation of photos taken by four individuals who
            > know the course
            > extremely well. It is shown in the direction of the
            > 2007 HRH so it would
            > be something you can do in the comfort of your own
            > living room. The dvd
            > is set to some classical music and is very enjoyable
            > as a preparation
            > tool or a souvenir. I believe i purchased mine
            > through Running Delights,
            > so check that website (www.runningdelights.com) or
            > does anyone know how
            > Andy can get a copy??
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Jennifer Roach
            >
            > Andy Hewat wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, I'm coming from Australia (sea level) to do HR
            > and
            > > plan to arrive about three weeks early to hike as
            > much
            > > of the course as possible. While I can find heaps
            > > about the actual race, I'm looking for any
            > information
            > > about hiking and camping in the area as part of my
            > > acclimatization and familiarization. Can anyone
            > point
            > > me in the right direction?
            > > Cheers, Andy.

            > > It's here! Your new message!
            > > Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar.

            <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>

            > Release Date: 2/14/2007 7:54 AM

            Finding fabulous fares is fun.