Pre race hiking/camping information please

  • Andy Hewat
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
      Hi, I'm coming from Australia (sea level) to do HR and
      plan to arrive about three weeks early to hike as much
      of the course as possible. While I can find heaps
      about the actual race, I'm looking for any information
      about hiking and camping in the area as part of my
      acclimatization and familiarization. Can anyone point
      me in the right direction?
      Cheers, Andy.

      It's here! Your new message!
    • Deb Pero
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
        Hi Andy,
        congrats on getting into the run!! It's an amazing experience for sure.
        You'll probably get lots of advice here, but here are a couple of
        things to get you started:
        Camping:
        There is free camping on the BLM land all around Silverton. Some areas
        where folks camp frequently are near the river on the way to Mineral
        Creek Campground (another place to camp which has pit toilets and
        reserved (paid) campsites), and a little further out of town on Molas
        Pass. But just about anywhere on the public land is okay to pitch your tent.
        Hiking:
        One thing that many folks do is hike sections of the course after it has
        been marked. These sections are usually about 8-13 miles in length, and
        are a good way to both preview the course and acclimate. Course marking
        takes place two weeks prior to the run, and you could probably find some
        other folks in town to go with, as there are lots of runners going out.
        That's true of other hikes in the area as well.
        You could also plan on hiking some of the 14'ers in the general
        vicinity. Get Gerry Roach's book
        _Colorado Fourteeners_ for detailed descriptions of each peak, routes,
        maps to get there, etc. Some easier hikes (in terms of getting to
        trailheads, and the trail itself) would be around Leadville, Co. -
        Elbert, Massive, Yale, Sherman, and others. While you're near Leadville
        camp at HalfMoon campground for easy access to many of these peaks or
        treat yourself to a stay at the Leadville Hostel. Some 14'ers closer to
        Silverton (but still a drive) would be Sunshine, Redcloud, and Handies
        (part of the race). Also, there are hikes right out of town... many
        folks simply walk up the jeep road to the top of Kendall mountain,(a
        13'er) and there are also some worthy hikes up Sultan, Storm and Anvil
        right from town. These are all ways for you to get some altitude. If
        you can rent a 4WD jeep or other off road vehicle, it increases your
        ability to get to some of the trailheads.
        The Silverton Visitor Center might have info on other camping/hiking
        options, and will probably also have maps of the area, or these can be
        purchased in town.
        Good luck with your training, and we'll look forward to being
        entertained by your Austrailian accent when you arrive in town!

        deb pero

        Andy Hewat wrote:

        > Hi, I'm coming from Australia (sea level) to do HR and
        > plan to arrive about three weeks early to hike as much
        > of the course as possible. While I can find heaps
        > about the actual race, I'm looking for any information
        > about hiking and camping in the area as part of my
        > acclimatization and familiarization. Can anyone point
        > me in the right direction?
        > Cheers, Andy.

        > It's here! Your new message!
        > <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>

      • Jennifer Roach
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
          Andy,

          Consider purchasing the dvd of the Hardrock course called "Hardrock 100
          CCW Show." It was compiled and produced by john Cappis. It is a huge
          compilation of photos taken by four individuals who know the course
          extremely well. It is shown in the direction of the 2007 HRH so it would
          be something you can do in the comfort of your own living room. The dvd
          is set to some classical music and is very enjoyable as a preparation
          tool or a souvenir. I believe i purchased mine through Running Delights,
          so check that website (www.runningdelights.com) or does anyone know how
          Andy can get a copy??

          Cheers,
          Jennifer Roach

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2007
            Wow Deb, thanks for your rapid and lengthy response.
            I'm working on getting the guide book and a map of the
            trails in the area. Looks like there are plenty of
            options. Obviously I hope to see as much of the course
            as I can to help with navigation on race day. And just
            spend as much time at altitude as I can.
            Thanks again, and look forward to catching up when I
            get over there.
            Cheers, Andrew

            Get your own web address.
          • Andy Hewat
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 19, 2007
              Oh, and I'm ordering a copy of the DVD off the
              runningdelights web site. Thanks, Andy

              --- Jennifer Roach <jrhigh@...> wrote:

              > Andy,
              >
              > Consider purchasing the dvd of the Hardrock course
              > called "Hardrock 100
              > CCW Show." It was compiled and produced by john
              > Cappis. It is a huge
              > compilation of photos taken by four individuals who
              > know the course
              > extremely well. It is shown in the direction of the
              > 2007 HRH so it would
              > be something you can do in the comfort of your own
              > living room. The dvd
              > is set to some classical music and is very enjoyable
              > as a preparation
              > tool or a souvenir. I believe i purchased mine
              > through Running Delights,
              > so check that website (www.runningdelights.com) or
              > does anyone know how
              > Andy can get a copy??
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Jennifer Roach
              >
              > Andy Hewat wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, I'm coming from Australia (sea level) to do HR
              > and
              > > plan to arrive about three weeks early to hike as
              > much
              > > of the course as possible. While I can find heaps
              > > about the actual race, I'm looking for any
              > information
              > > about hiking and camping in the area as part of my
              > > acclimatization and familiarization. Can anyone
              > point
              > > me in the right direction?
              > > Cheers, Andy.

              > > It's here! Your new message!
              > > Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar.

              <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>

              > Release Date: 2/14/2007 7:54 AM

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.