Howdy from New Mexico!

  • Steve Pero
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
      Well....a lot has happened in the past several months. Deb and I sold our house in New Hampshire and moved to New Mexico. We just bought a house and below is a link to some pictures we took basically near our neighborhood. You will immediately see why we made the move. This section of NM is Colorado without all the snow. It is cold in the evening and warms up to a beautiful sunny day, just about every day! The locals tell me to not be surprised to have 50 degree days in February! I have yet to run at lunch at work in anything but shorts and ss shirt.

      Our house is situated at about 8100 feet above sea level in the Jemez Mountains, about 20 miles west of Los Alamos in a little community of homes called Sierra Los Pinos. We have several mountains in our backyard (about a 30 minute run) that reach above 10,000 feet. Across the road is an 11,000+ footer (Redondo Peak) that we're not allowed on because it is in the protected Valles Caldera (Google it!) and is supposedly sacred Indian land. (We might stealth hike it some night) ;-)

      Up here the norm is Ponderosa pine and not cactus and sand, like most think, although Deb has already "run" into a rattlesnake in one of the canyons and down near the Rio Grande south of Los Alamos I ran into a tarantula on a trail the size of Deb's fist! Tucker wasn't quite sure what to make of that ;-)
      The altitude has been difficult for us to adapt to, but I think after almost 6 months I am starting to feel "normal" again and actually ran a 5K race in town.

      I have a 35 minute commute to work instead of the 90 minute commute I had from NH. Deb is starting to get active in the local artist scene and is about to have some of her works displayed at an art gallery show for the month of November.
      We are about a 5 hour drive to Silverton, Colorado, home of the Hardrock 100 and maybe a 6 hour drive to Leadville. We are very close to Arizona and Utah, so can start running some races in those states. Deb spent the past two weeks in Texas visiting family because "she can"!

      Now that we will be in our house with good internet connection, we'll be back on the grid! We owe a lot to Charlie Thorn and his wife, Andi Kron who have put up with us living in their house since June! Many thanks to them as we got our New Mexican feet under us...

      Here is the link to the pictures we took this past weekend...
      http://picasaweb.google.com/ultrastevep/SanAntonioHotSpringsTrail

      Here is a link to our house...
      http://picasaweb.google.com/ultrastevep/202MesaVerdeSLP

      Life is good in New Mexico!

      Deb and Steve
      202 Mesa Verde
      Jemez Springs, NM 87025

    • Twiggsc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        Congratulations on the move, Steve and Deb! I'm glad you finally made it out
        west!
        See you in Silverton in July!

        Chris in FLA

        _http://picasaweb.http://picahttp://picashttp://picasawebhttp://pi_