[hr100] Re: Food at Hardrock

  • Carl & Sally Yates
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
      Sounds like you Dennis!
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Herr, Dennis B. <dennis_herr@...>
      To: 'hr100@egroups.com' <hr100@egroups.com>
      Date: Friday, February 11, 2000 6:16 AM
      Subject: [hr100] Re: Food at Hardrock

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
        --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
        > No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to
        > dummy-down the
        > course, where does it end

        And while we're at it, lets get rid of the ropes at
        the river crossings and Virginius Pass. And lets get
        rid of the course markings. You should be able to
        read a map. And no crews, pacers, or drop bags
        allowed. And no aid stations. Lets make this a REAL
        race.

        Seriously, though, keep the race the way it is. If
        you don't want to balance on a slippery log 10 feet
        above the creek at Sherman, go through it like they
        made us do in 1998.

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Blake P. Wood
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
          Last year, I was too chicken to walk across this log (the one
          right out of the Sherman aid station), and shinnied across
          straddling it. The nubbins of branch were kind of hard on the
          butt, but much better than falling into a swift creek at 3 am.
          There IS a way to do it safely.

          - Blake

          Blake P. Wood
          Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
          Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
          (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
          http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

          At 09:11 AM 2/11/00 -0500, Dennis Herr wrote:
          No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to dummy-down the
          course, where does it end? What's next - a guardrail along
          Bear Creek, Ouray or helium ballons to make the climbs
          easier? Participants should rely more on their own ingenuity
          and less on the race organization to safely and successfully
          negotiate the challenges of the course.

          >A suggestion for this year's course: String up a handline
          for >that slimey one-log crossing of Cottonwood Creek at
          Cataract >Gulch (one line on each side would be even better) Two
          people >slipped off that log last year and took a dunking. That
          creek >runs swiftly and can be dangerous.
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
            --- "Blake P. Wood" <bwood@...> wrote:
            > Last year, I was too chicken to walk across this log
            > (the one
            > right out of the Sherman aid station), and shinnied
            > across
            > straddling it. The nubbins of branch were kind of
            > hard on the
            > butt, but much better than falling into a swift
            > creek at 3 am.
            > There IS a way to do it safely.

            Yes, if you slow down a bit you could do it in
            daylight.
            :-)

            =====
            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Mitchell A. Rossman
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
              Now that sounds like my kind of race! No aid, no pacers, no markings. Just
              adventure!

              Mitch Rossman
              Minneapolis

              Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/11/2000 09:41:31 AM

              Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

              To: hr100@egroups.com
              cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)

              --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
              > No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to
              > dummy-down the
              > course, where does it end

              And while we're at it, lets get rid of the ropes at
              the river crossings and Virginius Pass. And lets get
              rid of the course markings. You should be able to
              read a map. And no crews, pacers, or drop bags
              allowed. And no aid stations. Lets make this a REAL
              race.

              Seriously, though, keep the race the way it is. If
              you don't want to balance on a slippery log 10 feet
              above the creek at Sherman, go through it like they
              made us do in 1998.

              =====

              eLerts!
              Save on products you choose.