Welcome Home!

  • Lois MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2006
      The weather is beautiful, even tho too hot and dry for real mountain folks! No "too much snow" this year, that's for sure. Big black clouds pass over in the afternoon, but so far haven't dropped anything significant.

      WIFI is available at Mobius Coffee Shop. They have one computer you can use or if you bring your own, they will give you the password for the low price of any purchase.

      San Juan S&R is putting on a spaghetti dinner July 13th, so save your evening and your dollars for their little fund raiser.

      July 9th there will be a jazz piano concert at town hall, and Wednesday night (I think- I will let you know if there is a change) Tyler Curiel will be speaking on his Katrina experience.

      Keep in Touch,
      LMac
      Aid Station Coordinator

      When I was a child in Silverton, one of the older boys
      started calling me Skunk Ears. I went to my father pouting
      about it. He told me skunks have cute ears. That made
      everything o.k., and the boy stopped using the name.

    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2006
        Hi Lois....

        Deb and I have been staying at the Leadville Hostel the past few days doing
        some 14'ers with Matt, 7 in the past week and a half. Yale tomorrow, then we
        head to Silverton! We'll be camping and don't know where yet....I'm thinking
        the 4th of July crowd will fill Mineral, so we may head to Arrastra...any
        suggestions?

        We'll be doing Sneffels on Wednesday if anyone wants to join us....

        See you all soon!
        Steve, Deb and Tucker

      • letsrun100@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
          Steve, Deb and Tucker,

          We're at Mineral Creek about 3.5 miles in at the dispersed camping area.
          Right now there's room for you and a few others. It will probably fill starting
          tomorrow. We heard Lake Molas (the campground run by the town of Silverton -
          not Little Molas) had 200 reservations and only 60 spots. That's going to
          impact all the other campgrounds.

          See you soon,
          Jim & Sue

        • thetroubadour@mcleodusa.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
            Hey, wow, alla yous folks!

            I'm sitting in the Silverton Public Library. (Very quiet!) I had no idea
            how serious all this is till I tried to book a room. To wit: The Avon
            ain't the Avon, I don't see some motels that I used to see, the Grand
            Imperial is for sale, and my old nemesis, The Wyman, looks like urban
            renewal! Or, 43rd Street in Chicago. It's a dump!!!!! (I think? Maybe
            the sun was in my eyes. Maybe I'm imagining, gloating, hyperventilating,
            hallucinating... :(

            Well, I also tried to leave a message at Charlie's "Official Hardrock
            Hundred Front Porch"--but it was an official locked front porch.

            Oh well, there's always lotsa room in Mahoney's shoes--'cuz he's never in
            them.

            OK, serious. Yes, I did get an upstairs room at the Outsiders Inn (it's
            new!) and I think there just *might* possibly be more space available.
            Isn't there also a campground on the east side of town?
            "Animas...something Camping"? I remember some years ago, they wanted to
            charge me $10 just to take a shower!

            I wish you folks well, of course, and best luck; but mostly I'd like to
            offer somebody some money to rent a vehicle on July 10th to pick up my
            bride at the Durango Airport, and also hit up somebody for a ride back to
            that same airport on July 17th when it's all over.

            Anybody?? Anyone looking for a way to earn money to take a shower???

            OK, time to log off and do a little research. You won't believe this (I
            know), but I am, at the moment, actually cramming to take the SAT test.
            No kiddin'! Anybody curious about this can ask me while we're
            trailmarking. (It's another looooooooong story.)

            Hey, it's COLD here!

            Mo laida,
            (I'm on a computer named "Moe"),

            Rich "Softrocks Rick" Limacher