Re: [hr100] Greetings Finishers of Hardrock 2006!

  • sbrockmeier@unc.edu
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
      Hi Andrea,

      I hope not running was your choice..... I don't remember if you were
      on the wait list or not. Anyway, I hope your running is going well and
      thanks so much for all your support of the race!

      Here are some suggestions for finish line chow: Pizza ... who doesn't
      like pizza. I don't eat meat myself but I'm pretty sure even cold
      fried chicken would be popular. I think soup is a great idea. Have
      you ever heard about the famous potato soup that Anstr Davidson's wife
      makes for Massanutten? I know Anstr and might be able to get the
      recipe. I know you like to cook but I'm sure you'll have lots going on
      pre-race but it's an idea anyway.

      Grilled cheese or cheese quesadillas would also be yummy though they
      would require someone around to do the prep. Cold grilled cheese or
      quesadillas don't sound so yummy.

      I hope this helps. See you soon in Silverton.

      Scott

    • Twiggsc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
        Since Scott brought it up, I'll chime in to add that I don't eat meat
        either. A lot of us don't, and I appreciate how great HR100 has always been about
        providing things for us.

        Any vegetarian soup would be perfect!

        Chris

        In a message dated 6/10/2006 12:02:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

      • Deb Pero
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
          Hi Andrea,

          All of your choices sound good, especially the soup. - It would be
          luxury beyond belief to have "real" soup at the finish - other than
          the instant variety, even if it is just canned Campbells or something
          like that. Coffee, tea, cokes are good. Thanks for whatever you
          provide - it will be welcome no matter what.

          deb

          On 6/9/06, kaitainen <kaitainen@...> wrote:

          > Howdy all,
          > I will not be running this year, but I will be feeding you all as you
          > stagger/stride/march/dance/skip across the finish line as I am running
          > the Silverton Aid Station in the high school gym.
          >
          > What kind of comfort, post-run food would you most like to see that
          > might be lacking in the other aid stations? I am definitely
          > gravitating towards the warm and goopy, like oatmeal, soup, pudding,
          > mashed potatoes, etc.
          >
          > If you have other ideas, please let me know.
          >
          > Take care, and see you all soon!
          >
          > Andrea
          > andrea@...

        • Jennifer Roach
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
            Dear Andrea,
            This is a very nice offer for the finishers.

            How about ice cold orange juice to raise those blood sugars? (or ice
            cold Cokes and Sprite to quell post race nausea?)

            Jennifer Roach

            kaitainen wrote:
            > Howdy all,
            > I will not be running this year, but I will be feeding you all as you
            > stagger/stride/march/dance/skip across the finish line as I am running
            > the Silverton Aid Station in the high school gym.
            >
            > What kind of comfort, post-run food would you most like to see that
            > might be lacking in the other aid stations? I am definitely
            > gravitating towards the warm and goopy, like oatmeal, soup, pudding,
            > mashed potatoes, etc.
            >
            > If you have other ideas, please let me know.
            >
            > Take care, and see you all soon!
            >
            > Andrea
            > andrea@...

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • azsmokin
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
              Hello Andrea,

              To me the food doesn't matter.

              As far as comfort, your smiling face is all I'll need.

              Miles of smiles.

              Bob Bachani

              I will not be running this year, but I will be feeding you all as you
              stagger/stride/march/dance/skip across the finish line as I am running
              the Silverton Aid Station in the high school gym.

              What kind of comfort, post-run food would you most like to see that
              might be lacking in the other aid stations? I am definitely
              gravitating towards the warm and goopy, like oatmeal, soup, pudding,
              mashed potatoes, etc.

              If you have other ideas, please let me know.

              Take care, and see you all soon!

              Andrea
              andrea@tenacity. <mailto:andrea%40tenacity.net> net

            • TheTroubadour
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
                Harvey Krishna, all yoooooooooooooou groovy lil' barefoot hairport
                pamphleteers!

                This then, my UMcompadres-in-that-river-of-the-same-name, comprises
                everything that I would list on my DON'T WANT list:

                From: "Naeem Ravat" <I mean no disrespect; after all, doesn't this man run
                entire city marathons--just loaded with little rocks, broken glass, and,
                ugh, pavement--and doesn't he do it barefoot? He therefore deserves, and
                has, my utmost respect. Hey, I'm only yakkin' 'bout food here! ;>
                Date: Monday, June 12, 2006 4:56 PM

                good eats: Naan N Currie on Telegraph
                so good, so cheap...
                recommend: chicken tikka masala, palak gosht, and plain naan... and don't
                forget the all you can drink chai.

                good eats: Julies on Bancroft
                If you're there on a magical Friday when a Sufi Master is leading the
                community in Zikr invocations, wird, ratib then you will get a plentiful and
                tasty free malay, thai, polynesian meal

                good coffe shop: Strada on Bancroft at College
                An eclectic cafe where you here people saying things like -
                "I don't like the coffee, not impressed with the tea and pastries.. but I
                LOVE STRADA! The only place near campus where I can sit on the outside patio
                with a Pomegranite Italian Soda, smoke my cancer sticks and sketch people at
                nearby tables.
                - By favorite place to be a notebook bandit.
                - Oh, and AirBears is strong here - yay for student wireless!"

                . . .

                ...And then [in a VW microbus loaded with baking soda, asbestos hazmat
                suits, and implements of fire extinguishation] I went to Miami.

                Cheers, Salaams and Namaste,

                ( O_O )

                Whoa.

                The sliced cheers, bite-size salaams, and pureed nasty little namastes I can
                handle, but please, dear Andrea,

                NO
                ===

                Currie (cheap or otherwise), chicken tikka masala, palak gosht, plain
                naan... and chai!

                NO
                ===

                Sufi Master, Zikr invocations, wird, ratib, malay (tasty, free, or
                otherwise), thai, or polynesia!

                NO
                ===

                Strada on Bancroft (at College or elsewhere), tea and pastries, Pomegranite
                Italian Soda, smoke, cancer slim jims, sketch people, notebooks, bandits,
                AirBears, or wireless!

                BUT ALMOST
                ===========

                ...any *other* near-poison on the face of the planet is OK by me.

                Eh?

                - -
                00
                >)

                With just a pinch between the teeth an' gums, and
                tongue firmly wedged up against the left inside cheek,

                Softrocks Rick

                "Here," as Larry my mentor would say, "have some salt."

                --

                "That right there is a gold vein, Rich. Now. How ya gonna get it
                own?" -Cappis

                "Running provides little happiness which is no different from lack of
                pleasure. Happiness has only to do with shacking up with somethin'
                mind-blowingly hot back at the cabin. And I AIN'T talkin' about
                food!" -Limmickur

                "Only those who risk dropping off the cliffs of the earth can possibly he
                kept hidden long enough to never have to pay their insurance claim" -Gecko,
                the GEICO pitch-lizard

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
                  Rats!

                  This darn typewriter!!!

                  That word was supposed to be "down" not "own"!

                  Sorry.
                  As you were.
                  Please keep sleeping.
                  - Limmickur
                • TheTroubadour

                    From: "Naeem Ravat" <I mean no disrespect; after all, doesn't this man run
                    Date: Monday, June 12, 2006 4:56 PM

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 20, 2006
                      Hey Scott - Hope your training has been going well and you are all
                      rested and ready for another round of self inflicted fun! Just
                      wondering when you are heading out there and where you are staying - I
                      plan on heading out the 1st, so prob be there the 3rd and am planning
                      on camping for the first week, then I have a room in the avon (I think
                      the 8th on but Ill have to double check that as I no longer seem to
                      have a memory) - anyway, if folks are camping together I was just
                      looking to hook up - as I'm assuming the dates this yr,being the 4th
                      that its gonna be packed. Lemme know - jeff

                      "Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

                      and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
                    • Klondike4@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 20, 2006
                        Sorry Y'all - thought I was sending that back to scott b - obviously
                        lacking more than memory cells, jeff w

                        "Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde