Fwd: [vhtrc] Dennis Herr

  • Michael Bur
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2006
      I am just forwarding this, I don't know any more
      information than what is below. I know many on the
      list from the "old school" either know Dennis or know
      who he is so I thought I'd pass this along. For those
      who don't know, Dennis is out of the "hardcore-less is
      more-shut up and do it" branch of ultrarunning and has
      been involved in the sport from way, way, way back.

      Mike Bur
      Kensington, MD

      --- Sophie Speidel <sophiespeidel@...> wrote:
      > Friends,
      > Dennis Herr was in a serious bike accident last
      > evening near his home in Harrisonburg, VA and was
      > flown to UVA Medical Center here in Charlottesville,
      > where he remains in the surgical ICU unit in
      > critical, but stable, condition. I spoke with
      > Dennis' son Dana, who Iives in C'Ville and who I
      > know through my job as a school counselor (he is a
      > social worker). Dana expressed his gratitude for our
      > support and would like as many as Dennis' running
      > friends to know about this, as he is well aware of
      > how much the running community means to Dennis. If
      > someone wants to post this on the big List, Dana
      > said that would be fine. The family really needs and
      > appreciates all our support and prayers.
      > According to Dana, it is too early to know the
      > extent of Dennis' injuries except that the doctors
      > are encouraged that there has been no significant
      > brain swelling since he arrived at UVA. Dana did say
      > that "it is a miracle that he is alive" and that it
      > will be a long recovery. If anyone would like to
      > send a note to Dennis in care of his family, you can
      > send them to:
      > Dana Herr
      > 121 Oak Forest Circle
      > Charlottesville, VA 22901