[hr100] Re: Night Light Choices

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2000
      --- GRoachHigh@... wrote:
      > What have racers and pacers used in the past for
      > flashlights and headlamps at
      > Hardrock?

      Last year I used two mini maglites with adjustable
      beam (about $7 each at Walmart). Each takes 2 AA
      batteries, which are good for about 4 hours (longer in
      warm weather). I carried 8 extra batteries (only used
      4), which were light enought that I did not use need a
      crew or drop bags.

      I'm going to look into those new LED flashlights with
      their longer life batteries.

      =====

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Michael A. Farris
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2000
        >--- GRoachHigh@... wrote:
        > > What have racers and pacers used in the past for
        > > flashlights and headlamps at
        > > Hardrock?

        Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with great night vision, so I like a
        nice bright light. I use a modified Petzl Zoom headlamp; I removed
        the battery case from the headband and attached an extension cord.
        The battery case goes in my pack and I carry the headlamp in my hand.
        The flat 4.5V battery lasts 8 hours with a halogen bulb. Light to
        carry, and if I'm fiddling in my pack I just stick it on my head. The
        Petzl Arctic has the separate battery case when you buy it.

        As backups I carry a Princeton Tec 4AA (which failed last year due to
        a manufacturing defect) and a 1AA maglight.

        Though the trail markers seem pretty close together during the day,
        they can be hard to see at night. Take plenty of lumens.

        Mike

        Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
        Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris
        Hamline University, St. Paul, MN 55014