[hr100] Re: Night Light Choices : 135 grams

  • Hans-Dieter Weisshaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2000
      Hi Hardrockers, esp. Jennifer,

      in Germany there ist a small flashlight available using a very new technique: not colored, but white diodes (Dioden), invented by the Fraunhofer Society (a public research organisation). With three AA batteries it is lightening for at least 17 days (I repeat 17 days) uninterrupted. Forget all about flashlight-troubles, spare batteries, standing in dark and rain at the Superior Trail.... I used it during RR and afterwards often running in Germany at night: still the original set of batteries. Total weight including batteries: 135 (european) grams.Here it costs 70 German Marks (about 35 US bucks - bugs).
      It is called LUCIDO cool light Lightwave. Try www.longlight.com (I didn't check this website), which is printed on the flashlight outside. It also can be easily mounted to a small headring and used as headlamp. I used this lamp with a wristband. It became a part of my hand after hours running.

      It is not that light (not the strongest beam) as the big 3 batteries Maclite, but I found it fully sufficient. I will bring two of them to Umstead (one for Monica Scholz, CAN), maybe some of you are there for testing it.

      Hans-Dieter

      GRoachHigh@... schrieb:

      What have racers and pacers used in the past for flashlights and headlamps at
      Hardrock? I'd be interested to know what throws the longest and strongest
      beam.

      I intended to not use a headlamp and just hand carry lights, preferably with
      a wrist loop.

      Suggestions are welcome here.

      Jennifer Roach
      Boulder, CO.

      Play Games, Have Fun, Win a Trip - at pogo.com! What's the best game
      you have ever played? Chances are it's at pogo.com. Visit today and
      enter our $25,000 Games for Everyone sweepstakes! Refer your friends
      & earn extra entries!
      http://click.egroups.com/1/1470/1/_/382674/_/953528241/

      -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=hr100&m=1

    • Roger Wiegand
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2000
        Lights: Unless you know the course really well, you need a big beam to pick
        out the reflectors from 100 yards away. I use a Maglite or something
        similar taking two D-Cells. A wrist strap is essential.

        I carry a small emergency flashlight at all times. The sort Hans-Dieter
        suggests might be appropriate for a spare flashlight.

        Roger

        Roger A. Wiegand
        http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand

        Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:30:02 +0100

      • danar@us.ibm.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20, 2000
          I carried a couple minimag flashlights that only take two AA batteries both
          times I ran Hardrock. The first time, I had never been on the course
          before. In spite of using small flashlights, I didn't have a problem
          seeing the markers or finding my way. I also use Lithium batteries because
          they are very light and last longer.

          Dana

          Dana Roueche
          Boulder, CO
          mailto:danar@...
          tieline: 419-7020, 6-7020
          Outside line: 303-354-7020
        • Carl & Sally Yates
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2000
            Sounds similar to the Eternal Light available from Technology Associates Inc. (www.TECHASS.com)
            Reno NV 89503. New model $69 in nice shock resistant waterproof case with a lanyard. Also have a Starknife with 1 diode mounted in a neat little knife that will last 12 hrs. and plenty of emergency lighting for $12.95. Hard to believe these f you haven't used them. I used the old Eternal Light at HR last year. Unfortunately only one night. I tried to charge the batteries after but they were still fully charged. Carl