[hr100] Night Light Choices

  • GRoachHigh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2000
      What have racers and pacers used in the past for flashlights and headlamps at
      Hardrock? I'd be interested to know what throws the longest and strongest
      beam.

      I intended to not use a headlamp and just hand carry lights, preferably with
      a wrist loop.

      Suggestions are welcome here.

      Jennifer Roach
      Boulder, CO.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2000
        --- GRoachHigh@... wrote:
        > What have racers and pacers used in the past for
        > flashlights and headlamps at
        > Hardrock?

        Last year I used two mini maglites with adjustable
        beam (about $7 each at Walmart). Each takes 2 AA
        batteries, which are good for about 4 hours (longer in
        warm weather). I carried 8 extra batteries (only used
        4), which were light enought that I did not use need a
        crew or drop bags.

        I'm going to look into those new LED flashlights with
        their longer life batteries.

        =====

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Michael A. Farris
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2000
          >--- GRoachHigh@... wrote:
          > > What have racers and pacers used in the past for
          > > flashlights and headlamps at
          > > Hardrock?

          Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with great night vision, so I like a
          nice bright light. I use a modified Petzl Zoom headlamp; I removed
          the battery case from the headband and attached an extension cord.
          The battery case goes in my pack and I carry the headlamp in my hand.
          The flat 4.5V battery lasts 8 hours with a halogen bulb. Light to
          carry, and if I'm fiddling in my pack I just stick it on my head. The
          Petzl Arctic has the separate battery case when you buy it.

          As backups I carry a Princeton Tec 4AA (which failed last year due to
          a manufacturing defect) and a 1AA maglight.

          Though the trail markers seem pretty close together during the day,
          they can be hard to see at night. Take plenty of lumens.

          Mike

          Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
          Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris
          Hamline University, St. Paul, MN 55014