Hardrock pictures.

  • Michael Bur
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2005
      Photos w/ captions covering some of my
      Hardrock 2005 experience can be found at
      snapfish:

      http://tinyurl.com/9q4xr

      A good article on the Hardrock experience
      can be cound here(hr100 folks have already
      seen this):

      http://tinyurl.com/9ncou

      Synopsis: I went out early to acclimate and had a
      great time at "Camp Hardrock" - helping mark the
      course and doing trail work on Handies. Met some
      new friends and it was great being able to vist
      with many old friends as well. The first 3/4 of
      the race went fairly well for me but from
      Telluride(mile 72) on in, my ability to climb was
      curtailed due to a reduced lung capacity. But, I
      was able to link up with Mike Dobies toward the
      end and we finished together in 45:34.

      Michael Bur
      Kensington, Maryland
    • TheTroubadour
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2005
        Hokay, so like, what do Mike Bur, jet planes, and the
        Discovery shuttle all have in common?

        Give up?

        [There's some slight hint contained amidst all these
        below-mentioned Hard Luck pics. :-]

        Now do ya give up?

        [Check out the innocent-enough photo of Our Hero striding
        into Telluride .-]

        For sure you are all *now* giving up, right? On accounta
        how not one o' yous has actually in fact just now
        pointed-and-clicked-and-logged-onto and... given that damned
        "Snapfish" all your personal and private e-information!

        (That's an easy one to call. What the hell do we gotta give
        our whole FBI file to a web pic site for, huh? Do I now
        gotta worry about even MORE spam jamming my
        already-overclogged inbox? Is Luigi gonna show up soon with
        his friends on my front porch? Will my next tax return be
        audited??? :-(

        All right, I'm gonna tell you what The Man Who Shot Dead
        That Dude on the Ten Dollar Bill's most law-abiding
        strangely distant cousin Mike has in common with today's jet
        aircraft and orbiting space shuttles:

        They can ALL claim to be "slowing" occasionally--like due to
        fatigue or other political disappointments--to a climb rate
        of ONLY 1,200 FEET PER MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

        Whoa.

        Next Hardrock I do, if I can only force myself to scale back
        to a feeble climb rate like Mike's after Telluride, I could
        possibly complete the whole race in 1,650 seconds. (27.5
        minutes)

        "Compute gently out there."

        Rich Limacher
        TheTroubadour@...

        Yankee Folly of the Day: Two-and-a-half years and how many
        billions of dollars later, and the same kinds of chunks of
        the same kind of tile falls off. Hey, NASA? Maybe instead
        of K-Mart, try shopping at Home Depot!

        > Hardrock 2005 experience can be found at
        > snapfish:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/9q4xr

        <snipped to avoid FBI excess bandwidth charges>

        > ...The first 3/4 of
        > the race went fairly well for me but from
        > Telluride(mile 72) on in, my ability to climb was
        > curtailed due to a reduced lung capacity. But, I
        > was able to link up with Mike Dobies toward the
        > end and we finished together in 45:34.
        >
        > Michael Bur
        > Kensington, Maryland

        [Congratulations, you aerospace wizard you! Next time you
        slow down this bad, I'm gonna pass your ass!!!!! :-]
      • Michael Bur
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29, 2005
          Boy, you pace someone to a glorious crash and burn
          mile 90 DNF at Massanutten and this is the thanks
          you get!(Have you ever seen a "question mark" run?
          The Troubadour's back was so wrenched, that's
          *exactly* what he looked like at that point...of
          course, being the ace pacer I am, I was still beating
          him like a rented mule and telling him how great he
          was doing). Limmicker, when you are ready to get
          rid of that MMT "visitors rock", let me know!

          Ok, so, I've corrected the units on my rate of climb
          in the photo captions.(in an earlier caption, I
          claimed to be climbing at 2100ft/min, yowsa!)

          So to answer, why snapfish? I don't particularly
          care for the whole registration thing at any web
          site but the clever person can complete all that
          without giving away any real direct information
          including using a disposable/throwaway email address.

          You *did* use a throwaway, didn't you Rich?!?!

          See, I'm still in the dark ages with my camera.
          Alot of the kids here won't remember these
          contraptions but once upon a time, you had to actually
          load these little film canisters into a camera, the
          film was exposed and then you had it chemically
          processed to reveal the image. I still use one of
          those. So, for 5 bucks(which includes the mailing
          to and from), I can send snapfish my film,
          they will process it, return the negatives and a
          single set of prints *and* scan the images into my
          account so that I can then organize them, caption them
          and share them via the web if I want. NFI in
          snapfish but if you're still in the dark ages like
          me, the bang for the buck for what you get isn't bad.

          It's actually funny when I take a picture of my nieces

          and then they run up to me wanting to see the picture
          on the back of the camera. I have to explain to them
          that the pictures are "stuck" inside the camera and
          it takes awhile to "get them out" so they'll have to
          wait until next time to actually see the picture.
          This disappoints and baffles them.

          Mike Bur
          Kensington,MD