[hr100] Re: weight training

  • Roger Wiegand
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2000
      Hi Hardrockers,

      Jennifer said it well: Time on your feet is training. That's
      one of the many nice things about this run: To train for
      it all you have to do is go out in the mountains and do what
      comes naturally. Living in Nebraska, I do less
      pleasant "maintenance" -- StairMaster, treadmill -- during the winter,
      with maybe 15 miles a week of running on soft surfaces.
      Starting in early May, I'll be in Colorado, doing probably
      20,000' per week.

      Roger

      Roger A. Wiegand
      http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand
    • Duncan Orr
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2000
        Greg,
        As a middle to back of the pack runner, I fully agree that terrain specific
        training runs are the key. I finish most of the 100's I enter but my life
        is too full of work, family etc to find time for long runs and gym
        sessions. This winter I ran the PNT50 in Phoenix and trained with that in
        mind, running long climbs as much as I could in the winter. Then came Rocky
        Raccoon and I feel that because I didn't train for the flat course I am
        paying a price in very sore knees, hamstrings etc. Having not run Hardrock
        before I feel pretty intimidated by it so I think my time is best spent
        going up and up and up as much as possible and not be too concerned with
        going to a gym. Just one guy's opinion...
        Best wishes to all,
        Duncan Orr
        Miway, UT

        Uinta Currency