[hr100] Re: weight training

  • GRoachHigh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 16, 2000
      Greg,

      I am hoping the same approach can work for me at Hardrock. I do a lot of
      mountaineering year 'round in Colorado. This incluses a lot of steep, deep
      snowshoing up through the forest to treeline and the summit beyond in winter.
      I average 8-10 peak ascents with snowshoes in the winter months in
      Colorado.For additional training, I use the steep and rocky trails above
      Boulder. I try to power-walk up them as fast as possible.

      There are times that I feel concerned that I am not getting in enough true
      trail running and opt to do peak climbs with my husband, friends, or solo.
      Just for the love of it, I guess.

      As a friend of mine recently said of this dilema:
      "Time on your feet is training."

      Jennifer Roach
      Boulder, CO.
    • Roger Wiegand
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2000
        Hi Hardrockers,

        Jennifer said it well: Time on your feet is training. That's
        one of the many nice things about this run: To train for
        it all you have to do is go out in the mountains and do what
        comes naturally. Living in Nebraska, I do less
        pleasant "maintenance" -- StairMaster, treadmill -- during the winter,
        with maybe 15 miles a week of running on soft surfaces.
        Starting in early May, I'll be in Colorado, doing probably
        20,000' per week.

        Roger

        Roger A. Wiegand
        http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand
      • Duncan Orr
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2000
          Greg,
          As a middle to back of the pack runner, I fully agree that terrain specific
          training runs are the key. I finish most of the 100's I enter but my life
          is too full of work, family etc to find time for long runs and gym
          sessions. This winter I ran the PNT50 in Phoenix and trained with that in
          mind, running long climbs as much as I could in the winter. Then came Rocky
          Raccoon and I feel that because I didn't train for the flat course I am
          paying a price in very sore knees, hamstrings etc. Having not run Hardrock
          before I feel pretty intimidated by it so I think my time is best spent
          going up and up and up as much as possible and not be too concerned with
          going to a gym. Just one guy's opinion...
          Best wishes to all,
          Duncan Orr
          Miway, UT

          Uinta Currency